• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 440 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
whats this **** about Froome interested in dominating? Why are you guys giving froome so much credit? He is scared. He is a sheep, It takes a wolf to beat a wolf. Expect more tactical mistakes from Froome. The race is not yet over.

And I don't understand the concept of gifting stages. AC is not some person in the bottom of GC who is only interested in stage wins.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I actually agree with this. A stage win then end his career. Now he'll have to see if he'll ever win a stage again to go out as a winner. :rolleyes:

But if Cadel Evans can win TdF when he was at 34 yo, why couldn't Bertie win any GT at 31 or 32 yo?

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Jelantik said:
Good post xrayvision. I think saxo has a camaraderie within their squad now. They fight together as a team. They believe in their leader and collective strength as a whole. I've never seen alberto in a team full with big name united for one cause. I hope they get the win they after, either tdf win, podium, team gc etc. Next year, this team should be stronger.

On hindsight, maybe this is not AC year. But he can certainly take the lesson to improve next year. Rogers said that every team are playing catch up with sky's method, including saxo. They are all by a mile behind. But Saxo is slowly catching up. So next year will be a tell if they finally catch up with sky. Not winning is probably a good motivation of alberto to do better next year. I don't believe Froome will be able to hit this kind of performance again next year. He'll be strong but not this strong. Everyone is playing catch up now.

Yes you right, and they must have a good insight to how SKY is working with Jongh and Rogers, but implementing it into a working system will take more time and experts, but at least they have something to work with.

I don´t think Froome can copy this performance next year either, Wiggings couldn´t and also other teams now knows they have to make changes, and I also think Kreuziger could be a man for the future, lots of material for Saxo to work forward with.

Riis just been interviewed on TV, no secrets, there will be attacked all the way to Paris.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
murali said:
whats this **** about Froome interested in dominating? Why are you guys giving froome so much credit? He is scared. He is a sheep, It takes a wolf to beat a wolf. Expect more tactical mistakes from Froome. The race is not yet over.

And I don't understand the concept of gifting stages. AC is not some person in the bottom of GC who is only interested in stage wins.

Course its what he said in an interview.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Podium is not good enough.

please read me initial comment. I said 75% AC is enough for podium. If AC is fully fit, then it is still impossible for anyone to beat him.

If AC was in full form, then he would not have lost time in the 2 MTFs. The only place where he would have lost time is the flat TT. In fact, i think that AC would have put Froome under stress way back in stage 8 itself.

Also, i don't think that AC understood Quintana's tactics before this tour.

in short, AC is still better than Froome.

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
2nd place is such an improvement versus the 15th place on the first ITT of this Tour. Chapeau to Contador. He limited his losses to Froome to a mere 9 seconds. I think Contador could win a future Tour, if he has a strong enough team to keep him protected.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Carols said:
Bjarne :) Rain coming, Berto finding form, Purito and Movistar...there will be Fireworks! Froome going to bed saying 'do I have enough time, geez I just scraped past them today'.

Don't count on movistar and katusha, just don't. They'll be rather enemies than rivals.

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
Another great interview with Bjarne a minute ago, I try make a resume.

He was asked about the team competition, if it meant something, he said yeah, the guys feels it great, they worked hard for it, so its a great morale boost.

Then some rumors about the weather tomorrow, it said it could rain and thunder and another rumor was if that is the case the organizers could perhaps shorten the stage and only climb the alpe once.

Riis´s answer to that: Yes I heard the rumor to, but I hope it wont happen.
We want to race...with a sneaky smile on his face.

He has a plan and he expects fireworks tomorrow.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Actually thinking about it.

Make a deal with movistar or katusha. Only one of them is possible, for the following reason.

Offer Kreuziger's 3th place to either of them. Belkin is not relevant anymore.

If they help them purito or quintana gets the 3th spot. Sky can't make that offer, saxo bank can.

Maybe quintana can take the 3th spot without help but does movistar wanna risk it? Saxo can just give it to him.

Riis is there, make the deal Riis.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Miburo said:
Actually thinking about it.

Maybe quintana can take the 3th spot without help but does movistar wanna risk it? Saxo can just give it to him.

Riis is there, make the deal Riis.

Do they really speak/make a deal (by team owner/DS) before a race? Wouldn't it be better if the riders "speak between themselves" on the road as if it was happening naturally due to common goals?

xrayvision said:
Another great interview with Bjarne a minute ago, I try make a resume.

He was asked about the team competition, if it meant something, he said yeah, the guys feels it great, they worked hard for it, so its a great morale boost.

Then some rumors about the weather tomorrow, it said it could rain and thunder and another rumor was if that is the case the organizers could perhaps shorten the stage and only climb the alpe once.

Riis´s answer to that: Yes I heard the rumor to, but I hope it wont happen.
We want to race...with a sneaky smile on his face.

He has a plan and he expects fireworks tomorrow.

Thanks, this is good :) Glad the boys morale is up with those yellow helmets. They have to feel good about today's performances by Berto and Roman also.

Xray you are right this is a Team that is gelling into a powerhouse :)

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i don't think movistar and katusha will work for saxo. After all, purito got screwed out of his vuelta win by contador. Any place ahead of contador is what purito wants. Valverde is going to help quintana got podium. So in a sense of that they must attack, the 3 of them has a common goal. Just not the same person who they want to attack. Purito and quintana, wants to attack contador and kreuziger. Contador wants froome. Kreuziger will hang tight. So does rogers for team GC. So yes, sky will have to deal with the attack. Coz if quintana and purito goes to attack saxo boys, contador will respond. And guess what, if contador goes.. god knows that froome isn't going to let him out of his side.

Gap stage, lil' richie was already briefly pop by the relentless drill from katusha at the beginning then, saxo boys added to it. That's only 2 teams. So tomorrow, it will be at least 3 team are attacking each other, then bye bye ritchie.

TRENDING THREADS