• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 969 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

sir fly said:
Do you really think Olga will let him ride the Giro and have no chance in the Tour after the classics fiasco of the team?

well with less win up to now, no classic winning on every of their target classic so far, as usual, the pressure is back on Contador to deliver a win. I don't know if in Ardennes the team will be competitive. Who's going to be the leader? Matti crashed out today. Majka? Kreuziger? he is in the dog house with those hearings. Sagan?

Re: Re:

Jelantik said:
sir fly said:
Do you really think Olga will let him ride the Giro and have no chance in the Tour after the classics fiasco of the team?

well with less win up to now, no classic winning on every of their target classic so far, as usual, the pressure is back on Contador to deliver a win. I don't know if in Ardennes the team will be competitive. Who's going to be the leader? Matti crashed out today. Majka? Kreuziger? he is in the dog house with those hearings. Sagan?
Kreuziger.

Jelantik said:
sir fly said:

Amstel: Sagan
Fleche: Kreuziger
Liege: Majka

?

Velolover2 said:
Jelantik said:
sir fly said:

Amstel: Sagan
Fleche: Kreuziger
Liege: Majka

?
More like, Amstel - Kreuziger, Fleche - Kreuziger, Liege - Kreuziger. Sagan isn't scheduled to start AGR.

The Hitch said:
Miburo said:
I've never seen Contador hyping up a gt so much as he's doing right now. Every post almost for the past months is about the giro. His shape will be insane i think.
"When strong, feign weakness. When weak, feign strength". -Sun Tzu.

if we look at the facts and not the words, then we can stay quiet : for now alberto ran slower than fast :rolleyes:

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site

The Hitch said:
Miburo said:
I've never seen Contador hyping up a gt so much as he's doing right now. Every post almost for the past months is about the giro. His shape will be insane i think.
"When strong, feign weakness. When weak, feign strength". -Sun Tzu.

Nice quote, contador applied that in morzine 2010 lol

Mar 17, 2015
Visit site
“He is a pretty hard nut to crack. He is a hard one. It’s certainly much better to have one over him than none. That’s going to be to Richie’s advantage. But let’s see what sort of Contador arrives at the Giro. We saw a couple of grand tours where he turned up more than unbeatable. He is not quite the rider he was five years ago, but still he is still a hard nut to crack. It is difficult to argue he is not the same grand tour rider in this current generation.”

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cadel-e ... ro-ditalia

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Re:

ICEROCK said:
“He is a pretty hard nut to crack. He is a hard one. It’s certainly much better to have one over him than none. That’s going to be to Richie’s advantage. But let’s see what sort of Contador arrives at the Giro. We saw a couple of grand tours where he turned up more than unbeatable. He is not quite the rider he was five years ago, but still he is still a hard nut to crack It is difficult to argue he is not the same grand tour rider in this current generation.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cadel-e ... ro-ditalia

there. corrected the mistake.

basically, Evans wud love Porte to win. but he thinks Porte is of the same level as Uran and Aru. basically, that translates as "not at the same level as Contador". the last line, he uses double negative. that's the closest Evans is going to come to accept that Contador is going to own this giro.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Evans better not pick up philosophy. "It is the case that P. However, we also have that P is not the case".

In all fairness though, despite him clumsily managing to contradict himself in the span of two sentences, what he probably meant is that Contador is still a level above everyone at the Giro even if he is not as great a rider as he once was. Might be somewhat self serving, as Evans competed with prime Contador, rather than his current, downgraded version.

Re:

SeriousSam said:
Evans better not pick up philosophy. "It is the case that P. However, we also have that P is not the case".
:D

In all fairness though, despite him clumsily managing to contradict himself in the span of two sentences, what he probably meant is that Contador is still a level above everyone at the Giro even if he is not as great a rider as he once was.
Yes, I think that's what he was trying to say.

Might be somewhat self serving, as Evans competed with prime Contador, rather than his current, downgraded version.
2007 Contador is hardly prime Contador :p and Berto still spanked Cuddle's ass uphill :p

rm7

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Kreuziger's date for CAS hearing is 10th of June.

So Kreuziger going to ride the Giro i guess? Would be important for Contador to have a super dom, even if Kreuziger haven't looked that strong since his suspension last year.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Hard to argue what contador's prime in climbing was. Tour '09, i had the feeling he could have rode minutes away from andy in the mountains but he only tried once really so you can't say for sure.

I don't understand why people think Contador can't be the guy he was five years ago, when last year demonstrated emphatically he can. Only a crash marred an otherwise stellar performance, while he won the Vuelta coming back from injury.

He himself has said he intentionally started the season a notch below last year, when he was not riding the double and wanted to reassert himself after a poor 2013.

Let us then wait and see how he goes at the Giro and Tour, before making drastic conclusions.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Re:

rhubroma said:
I don't understand why people think Contador can't be the guy he was five years ago, when last year demonstrated emphatically he can. Only a crash marred an otherwise stellar performance, while he won the Vuelta coming back from injury.

He himself has said he intentionally started the season a notch below last year, when he was not riding the double and wanted to reassert himself after a poor 2013.

Let us then wait and see how he goes at the Giro and Tour, before making drastic conclusions.

Maybe he can maybe he can't. It's a fact that we haven't seen the best contador in a gt since 2011. There are many circumstances that can be called as an excuse, but it's still 4 years ago.

I think he can still be the same, but i just believe in the guy. We'll see next month. No excuses.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
IMO I thought right up until his crash last year Bertie was looking back to his best. He looked fantastic in the early races of that year and Nibs could not follow his wheel in the small battle they did have at the tour. I think looking at the way Nibs surrendered to damage limitation on such a short stage meant he could not follow Bertie. Bertie IMO would have won the tour quite easy. This year is a ?
If he his on top form then we should have a great GT season.

TRENDING THREADS