• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1041 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Publicus said:
Carols said:
Publicus said:
No_Balls said:
Nah. Just mind games from Martinelli speaking the language of Contador. Any DS bossing the strongest team throwing in the towel before we´ve even reached any serious mountains yet should be fired on spot.

But i´ll give him that it will be very hard if they are massacred on Saturday.

I agree. Martinelli is just playing mind games here.

With who? Alberto already has the guys measure, he won't dismiss him though, he's to race savvy for that.

Perhaps he hopes that it will cause Contador to relax/stop viewing Aru as a threat to the maglia rosa.
:eek:
Damn, if only Andy Schleck had thought of this in 2010. He could have said "I'm not a threat to Contador" and then Contador would have just stopped viewing him as a threat (cos that's how it works innit) and he would have won the Tour. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm taking the piss a little bit, but the point is there is no way in a million years Contador or any gc contender is going to stop taking an opponent seriously because of what they say.

In 2011 Contador was 5 minutes down and injured with 1 mountain stage to go and 2 seconds after he launched an attack every single yellow jersey contender was glued to his wheel.

There is absolutely no reason for any gc contender to stop taking another one seriously. It doesn't hurt them to be vigilant.

Besides Martineli and Contador worked together, won gts together and know eachother. Contador won't fall for any Martineli trick and Martineli will know Contador won't fall for some crap like this.

Imo martineli is being genuine. Last time Contador did the Giro Martineli announced that in his eyes Contador was already a more accomplished gt champion than Lance. He rates him very highly and he truly believes that Aru can't come close to him, so he says it.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Re:

rm7 said:
Tbh i don't think Contador have a chance to win this ITT.. but he will definitely be in top8, maybe even top5. It really depends on riders like Zakarin, Boaro, Kangert etc, if they'll go full gas or just roll trough.

It's 44 KM flat, around 8-9 KM hills at low %, and then descent.

44 KM flat, a lot of riders will put time into him, and then hills are also in TT position, not steep climbs where he'll ride like a climb. The descents are technical ones, but i don't think he'll risk anything there to gain maybe 5-10 seconds.

It's a power TT. But the interesting thing is, that Porte really had trouble following his teammates wheel the other day when they were trying to get him back to the peleton. So maybe Contador could beat him.

with the last 3 days racing in miserable weather, plus the ITT is on the 14th days (= 2 weeks of tired racing leg) plus the first 9 days of the race was really full on (nothing like the typical the 1st week of any GT start), anything at this point is possible. On paper yes, but the x factor up until today will play crucial role how everyone will perform tomorrow, including Porte and Uran. Some one else other than GC contender will win it tomorrow :D

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
was Alberto injured or something?

Nope he looked fine, he was even leading the group and he was very active after the crash.

The crash happened at 3.2km, jesus that will get fleur depressed

I'm scared to be the one to say this, but Contador does seem to crash or be involved in crashes a lot these days, or at least losing time in them.

Last few gts.

2011 Tour - stage 1 loses all that time caught behind the crashes
- stage 4(?) hurts his knee when Karpets knocks him out.
2012 Vuelta -
2013 Tour - crashed before the race. People speculating on here in early stages that he is hurt and can't get good bike position
2014 Tour - Crashed out. Also really really week on the cobble stage
2014 Vuelta.
2015 Giro - Crashed twice already and still in 2nd week.

Also could maybe include cobbles stage 2010 when Andy of all people took time on him.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Boy.. today is supposed to be transition day.. then.. crash. Then again Contador is in it!!!.. What a bad luck. And it happens just 3.2 km? wow what a 200 m can do huh? At least today, he can go straight to the hotel and regroup for tomorrow. 19 seconds of Aru now.. weird. almost close with the team he lead from Aru before. Porte seems to be done! his morale has broken into pieces after his 2 minutes penalized. He must be thinking of TDF now.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
I'm scared to be the one to say this, but Contador does seem to crash or be involved in crashes a lot these days, or at least losing time in them.

Last few gts.

2012 Vuelta -
2013 Tour - crashed before the race. People speculating on here in early stages that he is hurt and can't get good bike position
2014 Vuelta.

Also could maybe include cobbles stage 2010 when Andy of all people took time on him.
It surely does look like he has to improve his positioning, it cant be only a bad luck.

Re:

Miburo said:
Hitch, contador didn't crash in that tour 2010 (cobbles). He avoided it by a sec. He was just hold up

The Hitch said:

;)
hrotha said:
Looking forward to seeing what new and exciting injury he'll claim to have!

btw, if you feel like having a little forum spat with Contador fans, you should check out Robbie's ' latest postin the Bolt thread ;)

Re:

The Hitch said:

Last few gts.

2012 Vuelta -
2014 Vuelta.

Yes, and he crashed like 5 times already this season. It's insane.

May 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

Arredondo said:
Metabolol said:
Don't read too much into that statistic. I'm more worried about if he reinjured himself.

Spanish tv said he's fine. And even if he says he's injured, he's fine. ;)

I hope so, I can't see Aru beating him, if and it seems to be a big if, he can avoid further crashes.

TRENDING THREADS