• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Alberto Contador Discussion Thread

Page 1913 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Matteo. said:
rick james said:
Matteo. said:
HelloDolly said:
Froome will fade ...the question is can Contador not fade ?

I also think Chaves will fade on the longer climbs .....so hard to see who can beat Froome

I suppose Contdor can try ....Nibali is key if he can get better by week 2

Why should Froome fade? Last year he didn't
With all the short climbs that we are getting to reach, nibali can lose some minutes
eh cause this 2012 froome not 2016 froome :confused:

Ahahah. And why not the 2011.
2014? Noi, it's better the beginning 2015
All' this debate is meaningless :rolleyes:

of course it is, but a poster keeps saying this is 2012 Froome all over again...

Debate may be meaningless but it is a forum and that is what you do on a forum

My feeling about Froome fading is based on his almost frantic need for bonus seconds and he seems so strong that there is no where to go but down...It is an opinion ...

Riders like Nibali and SK will get better ...we have seen this before in GTs... again its an opinion

Re:

Debates are based on evidence, facts, clues. Not on unlikely comparisons without a minimum of evidence. Anyway after 2 climbing stages I do not understand how to make such definitive judgments
Ps: in 2012 he was not the strongest before fading, and he never came in front of everyone

Re:

bambino said:
Froome is not going to fade as much as we would like I'm afraid... he is in monster form, better than in Tour. Maybe he will not dominate in last week, but he won't lose the 3 odd minutes either to any of the meaningful competitors.

Froome in monster form should drop anyone anywhere whenever he tries, shouldn't he? Or is it 2013/2015 Froome? Maybe Tour Froome was so bad he looks really good now, but he won that one. Maybe Froome is always at this level in the Vuelta, it's his rivals' forms who made the difference to his results. Maybe guessing and comparing forms in the Vuelta is a crazy game.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Impressed with Alberto today, this is like his spring form. Not sure he can win it from here, but a podium is on for sure. Mostly because of his time trial, which is second only to Froome if on form. It was magnificent to watch him duel it out with Froome et al. Just like old times...

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Climber123 said:
Impressed with Alberto today, this is like his spring form. Not sure he can win it from here, but a podium is on for sure. Mostly because of his time trial, which is second only to Froome if on form. It was magnificent to watch him duel it out with Froome et al. Just like old times...
+ 1

Matteo. said:
rick james said:
Matteo. said:
HelloDolly said:
Froome will fade ...the question is can Contador not fade ?

I also think Chaves will fade on the longer climbs .....so hard to see who can beat Froome

I suppose Contdor can try ....Nibali is key if he can get better by week 2

Why should Froome fade? Last year he didn't
With all the short climbs that we are getting to reach, nibali can lose some minutes
eh cause this 2012 froome not 2016 froome :confused:

Ahahah. And why not the 2011.
2014? Noi, it's better the beginning 2015
All' this debate is meaningless :rolleyes:

Lol indeed. Discussions like these keep on amazing me.

Only point we can make is that Froome had a very quiet season and started his TdF a lot slower than in the past and seemed at his best in the 3rd week unlike previous years, meaning he indeed peaked later and was fresher.

He indeed seems to be stronger at the start of this vuelta compared to his previous vueltas and maybe he will fade later on, but fading sounds like losing minutes which I doubt. He doesnt have many racing miles this year which will help him.

All this is still just a thought and nothing more than that.

Some people always consider their opinion or expectations to be the truth while the events are yet to take place which is quite remarkable. I guess they are very confident, most often I wonder hiw they remain so confident after being wrong so often.

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Ariane said:
Climber123 said:
+ 1
...although he does tend to run out ofstamina/endurance on the longer climbs - doesn't he?

Matteo. said:
Debates are based on evidence, facts, clues. Not on unlikely comparisons without a minimum of evidence. Anyway after 2 climbing stages I do not understand how to make such definitive judgments
Ps: in 2012 he was not the strongest before fading, and he never came in front of everyone

Gosh you better stay off here then ...and not post yourself

This forum is full of hype and bias ...very little evidence

but when I say this I am told i am spoiling the fun !! what is your excuse

gunara said:
bambino said:
Froome is not going to fade as much as we would like I'm afraid... he is in monster form, better than in Tour. Maybe he will not dominate in last week, but he won't lose the 3 odd minutes either to any of the meaningful competitors.

Froome in monster form should drop anyone anywhere whenever he tries, shouldn't he? Or is it 2013/2015 Froome? Maybe Tour Froome was so bad he looks really good now, but he won that one. Maybe Froome is always at this level in the Vuelta, it's his rivals' forms who made the difference to his results. Maybe guessing and comparing forms in the Vuelta is a crazy game.

Nah not really, although he was very close to do that in Stage 3 wasn't he? Only Chaves without any real racing fatique could follow.

Remember todays climb wasn't really well suited for Froome if you look his history. Still he was the deciding factor to split the main favorites apart. Look and compare to the ones that could follow him in TDF (i.e Bardet).

He will probably fade a little, but by the end of muritos, he will have par 3 minutes to everyone counting the likely ITT results. He will never fade that much.

Berto is heading for possible podium if he can keep the stamina also in 15 km tough climbs to come.

HelloDolly said:
Matteo. said:

Gosh you better stay off here then ...and not post yourself

This forum is full of hype and bias ...very little evidence

but when I say this I am told i am spoiling the fun !! what is your excuse
My excuse? What do you mean? :confused:

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
Ariane said:
Ariane said:
Climber123 said:
+ 1
...although he does tend to run out ofstamina/endurance on the longer climbs - doesn't he?

I don't know, he was pretty good during the Paris Nice queen stage and even at La Port in Catalunya. Dauphine and Tour he was strangely off-colour and then he sort of finished the last week of the Tour with pretty good form. He mentioned that he was 70% sure of retirement prior to the Tour. It suggests he, like Froome, went into the Tour (too) undertrained with the intention of riding the Vuelta in any case.

bambino said:
gunara said:
bambino said:

Nah not really, although he was very close to do that in Stage 3 wasn't he? Only Chaves without any real racing fatique could follow.

Remember todays climb wasn't really well suited for Froome if you look his history. Still he was the deciding factor to split the main favorites apart. Look and compare to the ones that could follow him in TDF (i.e Bardet).

He will probably fade a little, but by the end of muritos, he will have par 3 minutes to everyone counting the likely ITT results. He will never fade that much.

Berto is heading for possible podium if he can keep the stamina also in 15 km tough climbs to come.

It seems to me Chaves had a difficult moment at the end just before the finish...

Not unexpected he would do a lot better, especially on an easier, one-effort stage. He will probably do the same on Cati and Sol and sneak into the top-10 going in the 2nd week at some time, but it remains to be seen what his level is on harder stages where Sky goes gas. There is lots of stages this year where he cracked hard after a hard day and lost a bunch of time in a very, very short time - the Dauphine stage, Chat, Peyragudes and 2 days ago altho that admittedly was a much easier stage than those 3 hard stages. Still Rabassa was raced pretty hard according to many riders.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Not unexpected he would do a lot better, especially on an easier, one-effort stage. He will probably do the same on Cati and Sol and sneak into the top-10 going in the 2nd week at some time, but it remains to be seen what his level is on harder stages where Sky goes gas. There is lots of stages this year where he cracked hard after a hard day and lost a bunch of time in a very, very short time - the Dauphine stage, Chat, Peyragudes and 2 days ago altho that admittedly was a much easier stage than those 3 hard stages. Still Rabassa was raced pretty hard according to many riders.
He was 37th on stage 3. He finished more than a minute behind Nelson Oliveira. :rolleyes: :eek:
Even on Chat stage he was 20th. (including the riders in the break)
And you think he rode full gas to the finish on that Dauphine stage after getting dropped, which I disagree with.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
I know, I know. Still, I think he lost like 3-4 minutes on 5 kilometres on Chat. 2 minutes on 3 kilometres on Peyragudes etc. It has happened for him regularly this year is all I try to say.
I think he lost 2'40" or something, the rest he lost in the downhill and run in to the finish.

Apart from PdbF, every mountain stage of his has been confounded by crashes or long range attacks;

TRENDING THREADS