• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alejandro Valverde Discussion Thread

May 19, 2011
Visit site
very good ITT from him today, can he put CF or JR under pressure in the coming mountains? Will he fade like CF due to the Tour effort? Too bad, lost 50 seconds on the crash, otherwise this Vuelta will be even more exciting if it is already not enough for the fans:D:D:D

maxmartin said:
very good ITT from him today, can he put CF or JR under pressure in the coming mountains? Will he fade like CF due to the Tour effort? Too bad, lost 50 seconds on the crash, otherwise this Vuelta will be even more exciting if it is already not enough for the fans:D:D:D
In the Tour he was not a GC rider after the Metz massacre. Except for the stage he won, I don't think he did a massive effort to finish the Tour, thus it was more like training. So I expect him to battle it out all the way to Madrid.

Unfortunately, I see Valverde fading in the mountains due to his many race days since his return. Unless he held something back during the Tour once he saw that he couldn't ride with best, which I suspect he did, then he and Froome may be comisserating with one another while Contador and Purito dance away into the clouds. In my ideal scenario he's able to maintain his form till the end and finishes on the podium. It's a shame he lost so much time on the crash and had to expend valuable resources in minimizing the damage. Otherwise he'd likely be in the race lead right now. Still his performance bodes well for his future in the grand tours and the hilly classics, likely making many of his detractors quite unhappy.

SafeBet said:
I'm also convinced he'll fade.
Never trusted him as a GT rider, don't think he's consistent enough over the three weeks. Of course he might prove me wrong.

Still glad he's back to great form. He could be a factor in the Worlds.

I think Movistar knew Cobo wouldnt challenge and protected Valverde from unnecessary pressure coming into the race, looks to me like he's in the form of his life, i think he'll podium.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
If it wasn't for the shameful SKY attack when he fell down, he'd be leading the race. I hope he can attack on the stages to come and leave Froome far behind where he belongs and always should have belonged if it wasn't for blo*dy swimming coaches and hard training.

And Valverde and Contador are my two favourite cyclists to win the Vuelta.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yes Valverde is back on fire, sure not in 1st (yet? maybe) but still on all the attacks as usual. His podium chances at this years's (2012) Vuelta are pretty good but he'll need to crack JRod and or Froome to do it.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Valverde might stamp his authority on tomorrow's short uphill finish. Judging by his ITT result, he seemed lost majority time to AC on downhill.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I hope that Piti can limit his losses to Purito today on Mirador.;)It looks to much steep for him,but he is riding superbly.I love that he is back.In 2013 will be a factor even more!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
It is possible that Piti could be better than Purito n Froomey in real mountains?So Piti for podium or even 2nd?:D
If he is like Basso ,Im curious what he will do second season after his suspension:eek:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
It is possible that Piti could be better than Purito n Froomey in real mountains?So Piti for podium or even 2nd?:D
If he is like Basso ,Im curious what he will do second season after his suspension:eek:

I am still suspicious about JR's long climbing ability. I think Valverde can drop both JR and CF. And Valverde has the one of the best if not the best sense of tactics.

maxmartin said:
I am still suspicious about JR's long climbing ability. I think Valverde can drop both JR and CF. And Valverde has the one of the best if not the best sense of tactics.

I have never liked Valverde but credit where it's due. He has ridden very well and without his crash, the race would be even more interesting at this stage. To me Froome is the one looking vulnerable but he is a fighter as shown in last year's Vuelta. I just think he was fresher in last year's Vuelta.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
AV did pretty good, as I predicted to drop CF, but surprised JR is climbing so well. Seems it will be AV and CF battle for third, AC and JR battle for first.

alejandro valverde ‏@alejanvalverde
En helicóptero con 3 cracks: @albertocontador , @chrisfroome y @nicholasroche

alejandro.jpg

TRENDING THREADS