• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alejandro Valverde Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 19, 2011
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Seems like we're gonna get an all Spanish podium, that's kinda nice I guess

seems like appropriate response to Tour performance, let me wondering how is Giro going to be raced next year.:confused:

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I am still suspicious about JR's long climbing ability. I think Valverde can drop both JR and CF. And Valverde has the one of the best if not the best sense of tactics.

my suspicion was right all along, just didn't expect it happened today. Seems JR finally had his famous one bad day.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
2 wins,2 jerseys,2nd place behind Alberto(so its like a win:D)...Nic job Alejandro.In CN article he says that he is full of energy and targets win at WC;).I hope he will be fit for Lombardia too,this course is very good for him.HE sits in 5place WT rankings.This is real comeback season from him:)

Is his points counts for Movistar?

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
2 wins,2 jerseys,2nd place behind Alberto(so its like a win:D)...Nic job Alejandro.In CN article he says that he is full of energy and targets win at WC;).I hope he will be fit for Lombardia too,this course is very good for him.HE sits in 5place WT rankings.This is real comeback season from him:)

No

10char

ILovecycling said:

Yes he is really regaining his form since returning. Great Vuelta showing!

I do not think his points count :(

May 19, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:

I thought he would ride for JR in worlds as a consolation for his Vuelta loss. Apparently not, I can see disaster in the making. Good for Nibali and Joubert.:D

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
It's OK, Movistar have Costa's points to fall back on. He's got plenty.
I know,but still it sucks:rolleyes:

maxmartin said:
I thought he would ride for JR in worlds as a consolation for his Vuelta loss. Apparently not, I can see disaster in the making. Good for Nibali and Joubert.:D
I dont think so,Purito can attack from 10 or 5k to go;).But for the final,Piti is better sprinter so he should be the leader...anyway,I hope Alberto attacks 30k to go and smash everyone:D

May 19, 2011
Visit site
ILovecycling said:
I know,but still it sucks:rolleyes:

I dont think so,Purito can attack from 10 or 5k to go;).But for the final,Piti is better sprinter so he should be the leader...anyway,I hope Alberto attacks 30k to go and smash everyone:D

I fancy the chance of Boonen and Joubert combination. Anyhow, it seems WC will be another exciting race after Vuelta. Seems later half of 2012 is way way better than earlier half.

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
maxmartin said:
I fancy the chance of Boonen and Joubert combination. Anyhow, it seems WC will be another exciting race after Vuelta. Seems later half of 2012 is way way better than earlier half.

Valverde is so amazing when feeling good and riding with no pressure.. i really like when he goes berserk and wins TTs sprints and mountain finishes. lol

Boonen is also amazing.. but he already had his rainbow jersey. Valverde, contador and cancellara.. they deserve one.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
maxmartin said:

As i predicted Joubert got the win, but job well done Valverde:D

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
But he should have waited for Freire, according to Freire :)

If he agreed to wait he really should have, even more so considering Freire was retiring unless he won, so just to give him a shot.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
noddy69 said:
But he should have waited for Freire, according to Freire :)

If he agreed to wait he really should have, even more so considering Freire was retiring unless he won, so just to give him a shot.

what if he waited, spain might not even get Bronze. I think this situation is a tough call, everybody knows race changes minute by minute, everything planed before the race wasjust a wishful plan. But this again showed Spain can't get their act together, there is just too much ego going on. It was not just Valverde, as Freire said there was NO TEAMMATE with him when the final climb started.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Freire was back in the pack when Gilbert made his move, and it's not like Valverde when he found himself in the second group did a lot of work to maintain their gap to the rest of the field. I doubt there was much Valverde would be able to do if he had gone back for Freire, there's no way he would have been able to bring Gilbert back.

I think that it would have been nice if Freire had retired gracefully without complaining about his team mates some of whom have worked their socks off for him in the past. He was no where near the front when Gilbert attacked and would have been unlikely to have got back to him. Valverde probably did the best he could in difficult circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS