• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alejandro Valverde Discussion Thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Spanish team indeed did a very poor ride.

They spend one of the most powerful guys, "Flecha" for pulling Contadors silly move.

Contador then rode at the wrong section instead of waiting for final climb. I am dissapointed with him since he played for TV show, not for his team.

Valverde obviously didnt have legs to match gilbert so he attacked too late and he couldnt make Gilbert's wheel at first. Should have waited.

mariposa said:
I think that it would have been nice if Freire had retired gracefully without complaining about his team mates some of whom have worked their socks off for him in the past. He was no where near the front when Gilbert attacked and would have been unlikely to have got back to him. Valverde probably did the best he could in difficult circumstances.
You're right.

The Spanish DS said the his team was working for Freire, and that Valverde did the right thing.

De Santos (DS): “Han estado todos con él, arropándole y colocándole. ¿Solo? Han sido 300 metros. Ya no hay nadie en ese momento. Samuel ha hecho su trabajo, Purito también para Óscar, todos han hecho su trabajo para Óscar. Si se han quedado, ¿quién va a estar con él? El único que hubiera podido estar haber estado era Alejandro pero se estaba jugando las medallas, y no hubiera tenido gas para coger a Gilbert”.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=55828

cineteq said:
You're right.

The Spanish DS said the his team was working for Freire, and that Valverde did the right thing.

De Santos (DS): “Han estado todos con él, arropándole y colocándole. ¿Solo? Han sido 300 metros. Ya no hay nadie en ese momento. Samuel ha hecho su trabajo, Purito también para Óscar, todos han hecho su trabajo para Óscar. Si se han quedado, ¿quién va a estar con él? El único que hubiera podido estar haber estado era Alejandro pero se estaba jugando las medallas, y no hubiera tenido gas para coger a Gilbert”.

http://www.biciciclismo.com/cas/site/noticias-ficha.asp?id=55828

Jesus Christ... where's that "epic facepalm" picture when you need it.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Is Oscar really serious?:rolleyes:Chase back Phil was impossible:eek:,Alejandro did right thing,they have got bronze,thats not perfect but its good.Freire is just selfish little *******:eek:

ILovecycling said:
Its really shame,but rather I wish him perfect Tour 2013:)
Cheers!

nanuqk.jpg

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Its safe to say Alejandro is pretty much back to his best form , able to be competitive over 250+ km and still have the punch at the end , which he didn't have for the Ardenne classics. I would like to see him ride the Giro Di Lombardia as he is perfectly suited to this race.

mariposa said:
I think that it would have been nice if Freire had retired gracefully without complaining about his team mates some of whom have worked their socks off for him in the past. He was no where near the front when Gilbert attacked and would have been unlikely to have got back to him. Valverde probably did the best he could in difficult circumstances.
Yes, Freire hasn't been in contention for major wins for years so it's time he retired anyway and what is he on with this "Valverde should have waited for me" story? Valverde couldn't bridge to Gilbert without waiting so how could he have brought back Freire if he had waited ?! Ridiculous as was his "if I don't win I'll retire" whining.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm also with Valverde on his decision, it was the right move and he might have contended for gold if he had chased sooner.

Oscar, just retire already. You are overdue and the peloton won't miss you.

Panda Claws said:
I highly doubt that, but we'll see of course.

well it certainly won't be as favorable as this year route which was as good as it could ever get for gilbert. next year the route will be tougher then LBL so if they push the tempo really hard on that 5k climb i wouldn't be surprised to see gilbert struggling on the last couple of laps.

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Disappointing to see Freire whine and complain instead of congratulating Valverde on his bronze. Freire had no chance whatsoever of taking on Gilbert with his viscous acceleration - obviously nobody had any chance. Even Freire in his prime had no chance, and he's certainly not getting any better. Freire, just quit.

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
I'm also with Valverde on his decision, it was the right move and he might have contended for gold if he had chased sooner.

Oscar, just retire already. You are overdue and the peloton won't miss you.

Freire is a legend, an inspiration for those that love cycling as an whole and not only the tour of boredom. He is a great rider.

When he leaves, we will miss him. Amazing cyclist with unique talent and personality.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
pedromartins said:
Freire is a legend, an inspiration for those that love cycling as an whole and not only the tour of boredom. He is a great rider.

When he leaves, we will miss him. Amazing cyclist with unique talent and personality.

...yep...one of the greatest cyclists of my time following cycling ( which spans 4 decades )....his panache will be sorely missed by the cycling world...

Cheers

blutto

wheels of fire said:

They spend one of the most powerful guys, "Flecha" for pulling Contadors silly move.

Contador then rode at the wrong section instead of waiting for final climb. I am dissapointed with him since he played for TV show, not for his team.

Valverde obviously didnt have legs to match gilbert so he attacked too late and he couldnt make Gilbert's wheel at first. Should have waited.

Yeah, it was indeed a poor ride. I have no idea what went on in the spanish team but it was not pretty. Scrolling around with 6 and more riders in the final 10 kilometers to go, close to the front, and not pulling once is a shame beyond human imagination. And this when the covered 240 kilometers was of the same order. Wouldnt have made any difference anyway given the easy route, but still....

Dont agree with the bolded part. Contador obviously decided to hammer since he figured that no one whatsoever in the spanish camp pulled (but babysitted Freire) so enough was enough. Had he looked after the TV-show he´done that on Cauberg.

wheels of fire said:

Apparently he hesitated, likely waiting for Freire, when he saw Gilbert building a gap there was no option but to go. No way that had he waited for Freire that he could've reeled Gilbert in.

TRENDING THREADS