• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

dp6NYjv.png

Well there was no thread so I made one.

yLEKOhY.png

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider/aleksandr-vlasov

3CTKIuk.png

He certainly made an impression this year. I caught his performance last year at Tour of Slovenia when he was still riding for Gazprom.
This year he got picked up by Astana and the rest is history!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Reactions: SafeBet
His race results this season are incredible:

3rd Provence
2nd Occitanie
1st Mont Ventoux
4th Piemonte
3rd Lombardia (his first monument)
1st Emilia
5th Tirreno

And now on path to finish top 10 in his first GT (basically his first GT) including a 4th place on Somiedo and 2nd on l'Angliru.
It's a great season for him by any means. But i somehow expected a bit more. Maybe got caught up in the hype after his early season results.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRoads
I think he was kind of unlucky with his GT performances.
He got sick at the Giro and probably didn't have the time to fully recover before starting the Vuelta, but since he got back to 100% he has always climbed with the very best (Moncalvillo, Farrapona, Angliru). I have a feeling he would have fought for the Giro podium hadn't he fallen sick.

Reactions: Sandisfan and Breh
It's a great season for him by any means. But i did somehow expected a bit more. Maybe got caught up in the hype after his early season results.
The brutal start to the Vuelta hurt him probably more than any other rider, maybe even just one flat day to reacclimatise to racing and he might have lost 1 minute rather than 4 and a half and thus still been in the top 5 conversation.

Reactions: Sandisfan
The brutal start to the Vuelta hurt him probably more than any other rider, maybe even just one flat day to reacclimatise to racing and he might have lost 1 minute rather than 4 and a half and thus still been in the top 5 conversation.
Yeah, in the lanterne rouge interview he said that he spent time off the bike after giro illness so he was always going to struggle the first few days. If we had the start in Utrecht as planned I think he would be in the top 5 even if he came in undercooked.

So George Bennet got the rumour mill going that this lad could be on his way to INEOS. Big clear out at Astana maybe.

That isn't a new rumour though. But I think it was said to be from 2022.

Astana could possibly be persuaded to let him go now for a large check.
But then they would only have Fuglsang left and his GC days are over according to himself.

Last edited:
Great news! Ineos could really use a few more good climbers.
Interested how they're gonna manage these young guys. Few years ago, there was a clear hierarchy. But now? I can assume Bernal is still #1. And then? Carapaz #2? Thomas? Hart? Sivakov? Martinez? De Plus? Vlasov? I don't consider Sosa and Dunbar to be GC material, but who knows. I'd put Sivakov, Martinez and De Plus ahead of Hart in terms of shear quality, but he's won the Giro so clearly he's got the better cards. Ineos are lacking a clear killer (like they had in Froome), but they are bringing in a lot of dark horses instead. Are they going to go into each GT with 2 or 3 leaders and try to tag-team the opposition? I can't imagine them doing the Ineos train with this line-up, because they are lacking the killer to finish it off. They'd just be doing the work for Roglic, Pogacar or other climbers that can hang on an jump away close to the finish.

TRENDING THREADS