• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alex Rasmussen banned

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
What is interesting is imho that he got 18 months for a gross violation of the rules. And no clemency was given due to the fact that UCI was very late in their warning of the second offence, and no clemency was given even though Alex has been very cooporative throughout the process.

Should they punish him for being an idiot and set an example? Yes, should it be 18 months, no way.

Also, I find it slightly amusing that CAS who has delayed the procedings multiple times, thinks its a gross violation that Alex didnt have order in his paperwork...

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Ney the Viking said:
What is interesting is imho that he got 18 months for a gross violation of the rules. And no clemency was given due to the fact that UCI was very late in their warning of the second offence, and no clemency was given even though Alex has been very cooporative throughout the process.

Should they punish him for being an idiot and set an example? Yes, should it be 18 months, no way.

Also, I find it slightly amusing that CAS who has delayed the procedings multiple times, thinks its a gross violation that Alex didnt have order in his paperwork...

whatever happened to the possibility he missed those tests on purpose?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Word on Twitter is that he's already been sacked by Garmin-Sharp.
Rough, but understandable.

What isn't understandable is the exact nature of the UCI c_ck-ups.

Big Doopie said:
fyi -- all three violations were before he joined garmin. none since joining.

not saying garmin is clean. it's just important not to misrepresent the facts.

Had a personal conversation with JV once upon a time on a related subject.

He was very convincing in his claims that he gave all ryders a strict lecture about the no needle policy, and I was very impressed by his commitment and passion.

He even suggested, when I cited a case or two, that in certain cases, he may advise that he was aware of rumors of the ryder's past but that this past had better be the past.

All is good in the kingdom, then.

Except, of course, when you are recruiting a rasmussen with a big suspicion cloud over them. In such cases, the jury is still out.

Kind of like Riis breaking down because Contadope got suspended.

wtf? Are you a cycling newbie?

Dave.

thingswelike said:
Word on Twitter is that he's already been sacked by Garmin-Sharp.
Rough, but understandable.

What isn't understandable is the exact nature of the UCI c_ck-ups.

His firing I don't quite understand. Garmin knew Rasmussen had missed testing when they hired him. That was never in dispute. He wasn't sanctioned initially due to errors by UCI or the Danish Federation. These facts haven't changed. All that has changed is that CAS hasn't accepted Rasmussen's excuse or deemed the delayed notifications as mitigating. In effect all that was being ruled on was the technicality.
Why did Garmin hire Rasmussen in the first place then?

sniper said:
whatever happened to the possibility he missed those tests on purpose?

During one of those missed tests he was competing (Berlin 6 Day race?) and available for in-competition tests, not where you would choose to be if you were hiding out from the testers. The consensus from the reports I've seen is there was no nefarious intent in these violations.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ney the Viking said:

What happens about the races he has competed in this year?

TRENDING THREADS