• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexander Kristoff

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

yaco said:
Except most other teams will have him a leader at a GT - It's a no-brainer that Kristoff leaves UAE.
If he wants to be the leader in a GT yes but he could still ride the Vuelta as leader at UAE, if he wants to be the leader in the Tour i can't see a lot of teams offering that for him (along leader status for the classics).
AG2R, Bora, CCC, Deceunink, Dimension Data, EF, Lotto, Groupama, Jumbo, Mitchelton, Movistar, Sky, Sunweb, Trek have all sprinters/classics leaders and/or other plans for the Tour.
Astana doesn't have a leader for the classics and a sprinter but I don't know if they want one.
For Bahrain could be an upgrade of Colbrelly but also in their case I'm not sure they want to considering also that next year they'll likely sign a new GC leader for the Tour and in the classics they are developing Cortina, Mohoric is showing potential and also Teuns is interested in cobbles.
There is only Katusha left in the WT or an eventual new team like Israel Cycling Academy.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
yaco said:
Except most other teams will have him a leader at a GT - It's a no-brainer that Kristoff leaves UAE.
If he wants to be the leader in a GT yes but he could still ride the Vuelta as leader at UAE, if he wants to be the leader in the Tour i can't see a lot of teams offering that for him (along leader status for the classics).
AG2R, Bora, CCC, Deceunink, Dimension Data, EF, Lotto, Groupama, Jumbo, Mitchelton, Movistar, Sky, Sunweb, Trek have all sprinters/classics leaders and/or other plans for the Tour.
Astana doesn't have a leader for the classics and a sprinter but I don't know if they want one.
For Bahrain could be an upgrade of Colbrelly but also in their case I'm not sure they want to considering also that next year they'll likely sign a new GC leader for the Tour and in the classics they are developing Cortina, Mohoric is showing potential and also Teuns is interested in cobbles.
There is only Katusha left in the WT or an eventual new team like Israel Cycling Academy.

Cofidis are looking to move back to the WT, if they can keep a lot of Bouhanni's guys around it's surely a good option for Kristoff.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Bora would be a great fit.

He would be a good domestique for Sagan during the classics and good lead-out for Bennet and that German sprinter Pascal ...

"I took a big risk using tubeless tires". WT?! One of the biggest races of the year and you take a big risk on tires? I'm not even blaming tubeless tires, I'm blaming AK and his team. If you haven't thoroughly tested the tires, don't use them. I assumed that he tested them when he was working on the stones over the winter. The "its not the same when your are in the pack..." doesn't hold water either. When you test tires, you test them to the extremes and/or in race like conditions/scenarios. I wouldn't even call this an amateur mistake because most amateurs wouldn't make the same mistake.

Re:

jmdirt said:
"I took a big risk using tubeless tires". WT?! One of the biggest races of the year and you take a big risk on tires? I'm not even blaming tubeless tires, I'm blaming AK and his team. If you haven't thoroughly tested the tires, don't use them. I assumed that he tested them when he was working on the stones over the winter. The "its not the same when your are in the pack..." doesn't hold water either. When you test tires, you test them to the extremes and/or in race like conditions/scenarios. I wouldn't even call this an amateur mistake because most amateurs wouldn't make the same mistake.

He says that he used them in the Flemish races and in training on the Roubaix cobbles. It's difficult to simulate race conditions any better than that.

Only he knows the exact scenario that led to his punctures, but he seems to be admitting/claiming that it was a race-specific situation that they couldn’t/didn’t recreate in training. I can’t help thinking that whatever caused the flats, couldn’t it just as easily have flatted a tub as well? There has to be a very fine line of incident on the cobbles that would a) cause a flat in a well-sealed, properly set up tubeless tire and b) not cause the same in a tubular.

(I’ve used clinchers all my life and have no skin in the tubs/tubeless game, but just wondering if he doth protesteth too much over how much it was the tires’ fault).

I've had a soft spot for Kristoff for quite a while. Mainly because I think that if I was a world class cyclist I'd be similar to Kristoff concerning abilities. Good sprinter with very good endurance and decent climbing abilities. Able to survive some hills but certainly not if it gets too steep or very explosive, just because of weight.

I hope he can fight for green this Tour.

TRENDING THREADS