• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexey Lutsenko discussion thread

As there is not a discussion thread about Lutsenko i took it upon myself to create one.

Arguably the greatest talent in recent years to emerge from Kazakhstan in the later years, as he bursted onto the scene in the 2012 season with a stage win in Tour de l'Avenir, and a 11th place in the GC in Tour de l'Ain that was won by Talansky, but most importantly he became the U23 World Champion, and from there his career in Astana started.

2013 was not the season that was predicted from most cycling juornalists for Lutsenko, but it was still solid a solid season, he represented his team colors well in the Tour, almost landing a stage win as the last survivor of a breakaway.

2014 was a much better year for Alexey, he won the TT of Tour of Denmark, and most people where scratching their heads of the thought that Lutsenko could time trial, and later in the year, he got second at the 9th stage in the Vuelta Espana, just beaten by Anacona. And later in the season won the Tour of Alamaty

And that brings us to this year, rode a very strong Tour of Flanders, and got his first World Tour stage win yesterday in Tour de Suisse.

Above all Lutsenko is a highly entertaining rider that rides with his guts, never gives up and keeps attacking. And has shown to be a highly versetile rider. And is for me one of the most interesting prospects in young cycling to follow, after many riders that where predicted as super talents and did not live up to it. (Zeits, Dyachenko and Nepomnyachshiy) Kazakhstan finaly has a rider that might some day live up to the legacy of Vinokourov.

And in my opinion he will morph in to a competetive GC rider in the future, not quite climbing with the best, but always making up for it with crazy attacks to claw back time.

yea, often entertaining.

Winning as you say once in a while too.

180218_PIC543353971.jpg

Re:

Vino attacks everyone said:
Hope to see him taking another step in the short climbs, so that h can challenge some more in the ardennes. Don't quite like how he has been used in the cobbled races instead lately

Thats what he wants in the future, to be a rider that is there in the classics and can win Paris Nice, and eventualy challenge Grand Tours. Just like a Vino! :)

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

markene2 said:
Vino attacks everyone said:
Hope to see him taking another step in the short climbs, so that h can challenge some more in the ardennes. Don't quite like how he has been used in the cobbled races instead lately

Thats what he wants in the future, to be a rider that is there in the classics and can win Paris Nice, and eventualy challenge Grand Tours. Just like a Vino! :)
A few weeks ago Vino himself said in an interview that Lutsenko will surprise people in 2016 and that he's expecting big things from him in the hilly classics.

It's been a great week for Lutsenko with a 3rd place in the GC of Driedaagse De Panne, and a 14th place in the Ronde van Vlaanderen, only a few seconds away from the group who battled for the 4th place. A huge talent for sure, but where lies his future? Cobbled classics, Amstel + the Ardennes or one week stage racing?

Re:

Popchu said:
It's been a great week for Lutsenko with a 3rd place in the GC of Driedaagse De Panne, and a 14th place in the Ronde van Vlaanderen, only a few seconds away from the group who battled for the 4th place. A huge talent for sure, but where lies his future? Cobbled classics, Amstel + the Ardennes or one week stage racing?

I think he was just training for the Champs-Elysees cobbles, where he will do a Vinoesque escape!

Re:

Popchu said:

He wants to focus on classics and one week stage racing. He aint a man for the high mountains yet, but a solid and fun allrounder.

If i would guess he can be a very decent 1 week stage racer, and a stage hunter for the Grand Tours.

The ‘bad luck’ of which De Vreese spoke about was about the fall of his team mate Alexey Lutsenko at only 800 metres to the finish, while approaching the sprint for the third position.

“I had good legs, there were the two guys at the front and the bunch had a moment of slowdown on the right side of the road – explained Lutsenko – so I decided to surprise everyone and I attacked on the left side from the back of the bunch: in that moment the bunch move so quickly to that side but I increased my speed already… I tried not to dab someone but I touched a wheel and I fallen down on the ground.”

Source: http://astanaproteam.kz/en/page/news/7282-amstel-gold-race-maastricht-cauberg-2461-km/

That's a shame. :(

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Yes, he was mighty strong. From what I've heard he was supposed to have the Ardennes classics as his main goal, but he's already in great shape.

TRENDING THREADS