• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alexi Grewal

He's currently running for mayor of Loveland. We ran a thread on it a few weeks ago.

Glad he's at least honest about his past. I distinctly recall the 1984 Olympic story. Also remember Steve Bauer leading out and looking over the wrong shoulder as Grewal went by him for the win.

That story makes you wonder where his gold medal did end up. Someone should find it, and give it to Davis (or Steve).

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
the delgados said:
"Looks like Alexi is still nuts."

Sigh.

Really?

Seems to me he has a lot of integrity, what with being transparent about his past and his current focus on helping others.

Is that how you define "nuts"?

You have not met Alexi.

He would not disagree with my description, in fact he would explain to you why it fits. He is, and always has been, far from normal.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
From the article:

In becoming the first (and still only) American to win the Olympic men's road race, Grewal's victory signaled the coming of two decades of American domination of international cycling.

I think this is a good example of mainstream US tour de france centric view of pro cycling.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
It always bothered me that Steve lost to him that and the worlds and PR he just couldn't get that really big win. Also it does seem that the dopeing problem was pretty systematic and you gotta wonder who else from that time was on the juice

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
You have not met Alexi.

He would not disagree with my description, in fact he would explain to you why it fits. He is, and always has been, far from normal.

Yeah, when he was racing in Colorado he would simply sit up in the middle of a paceline if he didn't feel the race was going well for him, thereby screwing everyone behind him and opening up a fatal gap. I think he did this in either the state or national road race. He was always a headcase. Man he could climb though.

Escarabajo said:
Thanks for the article. I still don't see why the relation with Canseco. I read from the article that he did not participate in the 1984 team blood doping, is that correct? can someone clarify that to me?
Thanks.
he was a bit of an outsider from the powers that be. but having anyone on the US team win the Olympic road race, down the road from my house. it was pretty cool. he marches to his own beat for sure.:cool:

TRENDING THREADS