• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

All Three GT's in One Year?

When I was younger Marino Lejerrata often rode all three Grand Tours in the same season. He actually did it four times. And during that time he actually went for it in each of the races and wasn't just cruising along. He even won the 1982 Vuelta, and the points jersey with it. And in 1987 was 24th in the Vuelta, 4th in the Giro, and 10th in the Tour!

Since he retired, I don't know of a single rider who has even attempted all three GT's in the same year, let alone race on that level. If I am incorrect, I'd be happy to be known who.

It's been said that racing in all races has been higher in recent years due to sponsorship, TV exposure, UCI rankings, etc. But I don't think that is the only reason. It's not like riders didn't try to win these races in the past, and remember, Lejerrata went for it, usually as a team leader. Maybe this thread should be about what an unrecognized stud Lejeratta was?!

If someone wants to comment on doping in this thread, that's fine, but I hope it's only within the context of the subject at hand, and based on some logical thinking and examples, please.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
When I was younger Marino Lejerrata

It's been said that racing in all races has been higher in recent years due to sponsorship, TV exposure, UCI rankings, etc. But I don't think that is the only reason.

I think cycling like most sports has had huge change in the last decade and I doubt we will ever see a Lejarreta again....unfortunately. Like most sports, the athletes have become more focused on what you mentioned, TV, rankings, sponsorships. The goals for the elite are directed with more strategy and conditioning and are placed on riders by the teams that have to answer to sponsors etc. Sure, the goal hasn't changed, it's to win, but they have to toe the line and ride when they are told....not when they want. I don't know much about Lejarreta but I'm betting he was a tough rider that told it how it was and rode when he wanted. Doping???? Who knows, who cares...I think its more about the direction of the sport that has changed and there are still riders out there that would love to ride in every race but have team responsibilities that don't allow it.

Wish I had seen him ride.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Yes Sastre did it back in 2006, Giro 43rd, Tour 3rd and Vuelta 4th.

But from memory he was the first rider to finish all three GT in some time.

I think Salvator Commesso and perhaps Mariano Piccoli rode all three GTs in one year but neither of those are GC rider of course. And I think there was someone else too. Jon Odriozola perhaps...

Edit: Found this list

Raphael GEMINIANI (Fra) 1955 4° 6° 3°
Gastone NENCINI (Ita) 1957 1° 6° 9°
Federico BAHAMONTES (Spa) 1958 17° 8° 6°
Eduardo CHOZAS (Spa) 1991 10° 11° 11°
Marino LEJARRETA (Spa) 1989 10° 5° 20°
Marino LEJARRETA (Spa) 1987 4° 10° 34°
Eduardo CHOZAS (Spa) 1990 11° 6° 33°
Marco GIOVANNETTI (Ita) 1991 8° 30° 18°
Arrigo PADOVAN (Ita) 1956 12° 26° 19°
Marino LEJARRETA (Spa) 1991 5° 53° 3°
Bernardo RUIZ (Spa) 1955 28° 22° 14°
Marino LEJARRETA (Spa) 1990 7° 5° 55°
Bernardo RUIZ (Spa) 1957 55° 24° 3°
Inaki GASTON (Spa) 1991 23° 61° 14°
José Luis URIBEZUBIA (Spa) 1971 29° 50° 27°
Pierino BAFFI (Ita) 1958 23° 63° 37°
Bernardo RUIZ (Spa) 1956 38° 70° 31°
Mariano Piccoli (Ita) 1999 38° 50° 58°
Alberto LEANIZBARRUTIA (Spa) 1991 64° 39° 44°
José Manuel FUENTE (Spa) 1971 39° 72° 54°
Vladimir PULNIKOV (Rus) 1991 11° 88° 66°
Luis-Javier LUKIN (Spa) 1988 32° 82° 60°
Louis CAPUT (Fra) 1955 68° 54° 55°
Guido BONTEMPI (Ita) 1992 40° 75° 62°
Neil STEPHENS (Aus) 1992 57° 74° 66°
Jon ODRIOZOLA (Spa) 2001 58° 69° 83°
Valerio TEBALDI (Ita) 1991 47° 89° 87°
Philippe POISSONIER (Fra) 1985 86° 90° 66°

Seems like Sastre, Odriozola and Piccoli are the only ones to do it in last 16 years.

Thanks for the lists guys. Knew Sastre had ridden all three, but didn't know in 2006 he did all in the same year.

If Contador pulled off the triple, he'd cement his name in the record books near the all time greats, period, as it's never been pulled off. Even Merckx didn't seriously attempt it. Don't know that anyone has. Though Pantani could have gone for it in 1998, I think he would have lost. But still...

The thing I remember about Lejarreta is that he never really stood out, but seemed to be one of those guys that couldn't easily be dropped, and was in a lot of breaks at the right time. Somewhat like Sastre perhaps, but with a little more grit - as I mentioned, he would contest sprints, and won the points jersey in the 1982 Vuelta, in addition to the win on GC. He seemed to be "that other guy" in a lot of key races:

image10.jpg

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Giovanni Lombardi did it in 2005. Joseba Beloki started all three (in 2005) but he didn't finish all three (he abandoned the Giro) and Robbie McEwen was the same in 2006.

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
know it is not in the same year but carlos sastre has ridden in the last three grand tours and when he finishes the TDF (which i'm sure he will) that will be the last four most likely finishing top five in all of them. Thats pretty impressive. Anybody know if he is going to spain this year?

39*23t said:
know it is not in the same year but carlos sastre has ridden in the last three grand tours and when he finishes the TDF (which i'm sure he will) that will be the last four most likely finishing top five in all of them. Thats pretty impressive. Anybody know if he is going to spain this year?

I wonder what the longest run of consecutive GTs is. Sastre could do the Vuelta also, giving him five.

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I wonder what the longest run of consecutive GTs is. Sastre could do the Vuelta also, giving him five.

I think the record must be ten, for Lejarreta: Triples in 1989, 1990 and 1991, plus the 1988 Tour (the Vuelta, which he rode but not finished in 1988, was held before the Tour in those days)

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
andreengels said:
I think the record must be ten, for Lejarreta: Triples in 1989, 1990 and 1991, plus the 1988 Tour (the Vuelta, which he rode but not finished in 1988, was held before the Tour in those days)

that is definetly hardcore:D

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Mario Aerts did it in 07 I believe. Its not THAT uncommon, usually one rider a season does all 3. Petacchi rode all 3 in 2003, winning a total of 15 GT stages in a single season. That won't be achieved again for a while.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
On the front page it said that Garmin want Julian Dean to ride the Vuelta as well (he did the Giro, abandoning after the final sprint stage that was won by Greipel in Brescia). Last year he rode all three and finished.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well Sastre is going to ride the all 3 GTs this year... He finished top 10 in Il Giro, He was very tired in Le Tour but he attacked and try to get an stage but he finished and now he is going to ride La Vuelta and He has gone to this GT as a Leader and trying to get good results...!

May 23, 2010
Visit site
The thing to remember is that pre 1995 the race was always held in late April and mid May.
par example - the 1994 edition ran between 25th April and 15th of May and the Giro started on the 22nd of May. So, any rider who completed all three was super tough
thanks

I think is doable under the right circunstances, & also the entire team must be at the entire disposal to achieve that objective. As talented as Contador can be- he most have the troops ready for 9 weeks at top level to battle it out, & make the races as comfortable as possible for him to win each one with the less efford possible, so the energy stores are available for the next one(not getting into "clinic territory")

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
On the front page it said that Garmin want Julian Dean to ride the Vuelta as well (he did the Giro, abandoning after the final sprint stage that was won by Greipel in Brescia). Last year he rode all three and finished.

Yep, last year Dean was the only rider that completed all three GTs and looks like he's gonnna do it again.