• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Allen Lim

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
failed his qualifiers?

acoggan said:
Correct (except that I think he got both his masters and doctoral degrees from CU).

Does that mean he failed his PhD qualifying exam? That's the way it works some sciences (a masters is required before attempting a PhD if you fail quals, but not if you pass), I don't know about physiology.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
biokemguy said:
Does that mean he failed his PhD qualifying exam? That's the way it works some sciences (a masters is required before attempting a PhD if you fail quals, but not if you pass), I don't know about physiology.

No, at most schools (here in the U.S.) the degrees are uncoupled, and entry into either does not require passing an exam.