• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Alternatives to Conti GP4000 II

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Since my beloved GP4000s is no longer made, I'm wondering what other clincher alternatives people might recommend?

Any thoughts on the The Vittoria Open Corsa?

Michelin Pro Race 4 Comp

Been using Michelin's for years. Pro Race, Pro Race 2, 3 and now Pro Race 4 Service Course. The latest tires I'm using are the Comps rather than the Service Course. All 23mm. They have good cornering grip.

I thought a little less of the Pro Race 3...

Tried Veloflex a few years ago but they would blow out the side too easy. I'd put one on the Ksyrium's and they'd blow just sitting there. That happened a few times. I had one Pro Race 4 do that recently last summer and I realized the tire and tube were sticky kind of feeling so I used baby power to put on a new tube and it went together better. Eliminated getting caught between the rim and tire better. That's what may have happened with those Veloflex's.

There is less volume in the Pro Race 4 Comp and if I remember correct also the Veloflex I was using. I believe the Comp advertises the same dimensions as the Service Course but actually are about 1 millimeter narrower... That makes it harder to get the tube where it belongs, inside the tire and not allowing any part of the tube to get between the rim and tire.

Baby powder is now in the bike tool box.

I've heard of Veloflex clinchers having sidewall issues, but I've only tried their tubulars and they didn't seem to have any problems at all. However I have to agree with VeganRob and BK - Vittoria all the way, great tyres. To the OP, if you're happy with Continental, the GP 4000 II is also a perfectly good tyre, even better than the original. The Pro Race series are good too, but they are a bit narrow and very waxy straight out of the box - you have to allow an extra 15-20 mins to get it all off!

Pro Race info

42x16ss: "The Pro Race series are good too, but they are a bit narrow and very waxy straight out of the box"

A new Pro Race picks up grit right away from the road. All it takes is a few hundred feet. So, right away wipe it off. Last time I forgot but the tire will remind you pretty quick. Last time I held the bike and rolled the tire over some grass to rub it off. Problem fixed.

The GCW said:
42x16ss: "The Pro Race series are good too, but they are a bit narrow and very waxy straight out of the box"

A new Pro Race picks up grit right away from the road. All it takes is a few hundred feet. So, right away wipe it off. Last time I forgot but the tire will remind you pretty quick. Last time I held the bike and rolled the tire over some grass to rub it off. Problem fixed.

Ok, when I last used them I just took it off with the back of a knife to make sure I got it all off the sidewalls but I'm a little paranoid with that kind of thing:)

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
richwagmn said:
Yep, GP4000 II now replaces it but it seems like the price is quite a bit higher too.

Good to hear on the Vittorias. Any model in particular?

No, when Continental introduced the GP4000S-II, they lowered the MSRP by five bucks. Maybe you just aren't seeing the deep discounts by dealers clearing out the older series.

Re:

Cliveds said:
I think the new Schwalbe One is the top clincher right now. Used the Vittoria CX for year but feel the Schwalbe is better allround.
A friend had Schwalbes (I don't know which model, but he tends to high end), they were all cut up in no time. He is now riding Conti 4000S.

I have been alternating Conti 4000S and Mavic Yksion, no flats in 3 years and 30,000km. I do ride my old bike when the roads are wet ( Hutchinson fusions, 2 flats in 3 years approx 6,000km). I change the rear tire about every 6-7K km, the front a lot less.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
By far, Veloflex is the fastest clincher. I don't use the super light, just the regular. As to someone with a blowout issue, it is probably the rim. Veloflex states that many carbon rims have loose fibers or sharp edges that can cause that. I have aluminum rim on back and carbon front.

I also felt Tufo tires were fast. It is sort of tubular with a clincher backing.

Veloflex are super discounted right now, 30 bucks last week's order.

I have tried every other brand with poor results: slow, wears too quickly, high pressure issues, etc.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I use the Veloflex master 190grm's "not to bad" I like the gum sidewall look so its the best option for me.
If I was going all black than the schwalbe r1's were great. They did keep updating them but I went for the r1 as it seemed to have better wear.
I use the conti "50grm" inner tubes. besides the weight they roll better in my opinion than normal heavier tubes.

Conti GP 4000S II's are brilliant but they are expensive. I might give Vittoria a go when they wear out.

Oh, the Conti's come up large too, the 25 seems more like a 26 or even 27, even compared to their own tyres. I swapped out some Grand Sports and the GPs are definitely bigger.

TRENDING THREADS