• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

aluminum tubular rims

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd like to have a wheelset built with standard section (not deeep) lightweight (no more than about 350 grams) aluminum tubular rims, no more than 28 spoke, and not too expensive. All I see are Ambrosio F20 rims, which are actually not that easy to get. They are OK, but an old design. Anything else out there?

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
mavic used to make some very light rims if I recall correctly. gel280, OR8, OR10.

you wont find in a shop, but occassionally they appear on Ebay or as part of a job lot. I still have some hanging in my shed - light as.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
davidg said:
mavic used to make some very light rims if I recall correctly. gel280, OR8, OR10.

you wont find in a shop, but occassionally they appear on Ebay or as part of a job lot. I still have some hanging in my shed - light as.

When I raced, I road a GEL280 28 hole front and a GL330 32 hole rear. It worked for me but I was on a heavy day 145lbs. Even with that said I had to replace the front rim at least once a season. Those rims are on ebay every now and then.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
www.velocityusa.com

Try http://www.velocityusa.com, I have some tubular rims from them. I have ridden them for a year and they seem to be great. I have the escape model. However, they are 390 grams, that may be heavier than you want. Yet you can find them for about $50, just google velocity escape tubular.

oxlabs said:
I'd like to have a wheelset built with standard section (not deeep) lightweight (no more than about 350 grams) aluminum tubular rims, no more than 28 spoke, and not too expensive. All I see are Ambrosio F20 rims, which are actually not that easy to get. They are OK, but an old design. Anything else out there?

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=585

http://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-tb25-tubular-rim-p-1212.html

Mavic Refelx in 32h and 36h only these days.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
oxlabs said:

I have a new pair of Ambrosio F20's in 28 hole. Most expensive, but the best. Send me a PM if you want them.

Ambrosio is the choice of the pros during the Spring Classics. The F20 is basically a lighter version of the Nemesis. "Old design", yes, but so is every aluminum tubular, nothing design-wise has changed much in the history of the standard box alloy racing tubular rim. It's always just been, well, a box with concave and convex sides, and holes. Some mfg's just make them better than others, as in the case of Mavic vs. Ambrosio

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I'm interested. i sent you a PM or you can email me at rick@oxlabs.com

QUOTE=RDV4ROUBAIX;133195]I have a new pair of Ambrosio F20's in 28 hole. Most expensive, but the best. Send me a PM if you want them.

Ambrosio is the choice of the pros during the Spring Classics. The F20 is basically a lighter version of the Nemesis. "Old design", yes, but so is every aluminum tubular, nothing design-wise has changed much in the history of the standard box alloy racing tubular rim. It's always just been, well, a box with concave and convex sides, and holes. Some mfg's just make them better than others, as in the case of Mavic vs. Ambrosio[/QUOTE]