• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Americans that deserve a ride

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Who are some Americans right now on the UCI American Tour that deserve rides on some of the bigger teams?

Benjamin Jacques-Maynes
Tom Zirbel
Scott Zwizanski
Dare I say Floyd Landis
Any others?

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
!!!ditto!!!

I was actually just writing on Twitter the same exact thing the other day. I was prompted to write that when I saw that Danny Pate, who is fighting for the Lanterne Rouge, crashed the Norwegian National Champion out of the Tour w/ a broken collarbone. Pate has done anything since he was a Jr. I literally wrote that Ben and Tom deserved a chance and Zwizanski absolutely does as well. I thought he was a sprinter and then goes and wins in Beauce. Those three are the first priority. Vaughters are you listening? Dont make Garmin a tool for only the Brits and Australians.

Of the US pro-conti or conti level riders that I have seen race I would say that Ben Jacques-Maynes would make a very good racer in one day races (Het Nieuwsbladd, Gent-Wevelgem) or short flattish stage races with a time trial of no greater than 20km that decides the overall (3 Days of de Panne, Criterium International, 4 days of Dunkirk etc.). Other than those he would make a good domestique for other races and potential stage winner in breaks. With regards to the other racers.

I don't yet think they are ready to set themselves up in Europe as the style of racing as well as the disatnces would see them struggle for 12-18 months which may see their potential destroyed unless they were in say Columbia-HTC or Garmin-Slipstream.

Now as these two teams require results during the season, both require really good riders in their squad throughout the roster. This leaves maybe one or two spaces for the younger up and coming riders. I think we all know that Columbia-HTC looks at the best talent in Europe as these riders and Garmin tries to take the rest from Europe and USA. But, again I see Garmin as being more inclined to take a European as they would have a "harder" racing background.

Its a terrible thing to say as it will only diminish the US proportion in the higher echelons of the sport in the future but it is what will occur if its not addressed.

In a couple of years though I think Taylor Phinney will realise his talent and become a major force in European racing but it will need more with his talent to get into the ProTour level.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Big_Blue_Dave said:
In a couple of years though I think Taylor Phinney will realise his talent and become a major force in European racing but it will need more with his talent to get into the ProTour level.

His u23 Paris Roubaix win will bring alot of interest from Pro Tour teams in addition to his track background.