• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amgen Tour of California May 15-22 2011

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My first time watching a whole press-conference, but oh my...

The journalists hardly know anything about cycling, and asking ridiculous questions. One was very concerned about a intermediate sprint which only was 2 lanes(++) wide with concrete walls on each side, and that the prize-money for winning that could lead to riders taking big risks to get the $$....

I think Leipheimer will win this. TJVG to pip Zabriskie who i think is in good form and will be better placed to ride this FTW than CVV, DM and RH. I wonder if Schleck wins this whether he could then win the Tour, like FL. However that does seem a bit impractical.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
I wonder what route changes shall be announced next yr. They could maybe make it 2 days longer + have a TTT or uphill ITT, maybe a day with parts A and B, a sprint challenge ( if it works ). Just some thoughts i like to consider.
Why make it any longer? It's already 8 days long, they should concentrate on making it a truly challenging race within the slot they have. Perhaps figuring out how to ensure the tourists actually race would be better.

They should make it a really good one week race before they think about adding days to it. Maybe 9 days is fine (like the Tour de Suisse), but making it 10, or 11 days, would probably entail having to add a rest day (like the Volta a Portugal) - and if the race is being planned as part of Tour de France training, they don't want it to be TOO long as it will put people off using it for that purpose.

What I'd like to see is them adding variety to the route. Looks like they've started on that this year, and it's a good thing. We can't have them relying on Bonny Doon and Solvang every year. Some races may rely on the same finishes every year (the Vuelta a Burgos and the Tour Down Under are two that spring to mind) but at least until you've established the event, you have to show variety to make the race seem progressive - i.e. we're looking for new ways to challenge the riders and improve the race.

Of course, sometimes the experiment will fail. Big Bear last year was a dismal failure. But the organisers, from the looks of things, have taken note of that (note them hyping up Mt Baldy as the first MTF of the race, when last year they were calling Big Bear that) and learnt from the mistake.

California, quite clearly, is not, say, Portugal, a country with enough varied terrain to change from year to year but with at least one climb that is so much bigger than everything else out there that it has to be used. It quite clearly isn't Italy, which has so many high mountains it can find two or three new ones to use almost every year. So take advantage of that. There should be some level of stability - if something works, keep it. Maybe not every year (the Volta doesn't go to Gouveia's cobbled climb every year, or Guarda's steep finale), but certainly make a note to go back regularly. If you have a good route and go back to all points every year then the race can't change. If Mount Baldy works, maybe go back there next year. Then look at what other MTFs can be added. Could they be added alongside Mount Baldy? Or should they take its place one year?

Ryo Hazuki said:
lol, this tour of california is just one big epic failure. they whine about leaving february because of the weather and then this

but, but, but it is on par with the Giro and will eclipse it in the future, right? That's what the knuckleheaded organizers said anyway. ToC will be history in a few years, Giro will continue to be the premier Grand Tour. Bella Italia!!!

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
but, but, but it is on par with the Giro and will eclipse it in the future, right? That's what the knuckleheaded organizers said anyway. ToC will be history in a few years, Giro will continue to be the premier Grand Tour. Bella Italia!!!

No, it won't. And it isn't.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:

Why do you and others insist on making stuff up, then hoping for the race to fail? It's almost pathological. I really don't get it. Is it because Lance is American and the race is based in America? Is the Giro extra-holy because Lance totally failed there? Could you please show where the organizers of the race ever said anything remotely like that?

No one ever said the ToC was going to take over from the Giro. That was never the plan. It's competing with other Tour prep races like the Dauphine, not the Girol. Get over it.

Messick has been very clear about the objectives for the race, and what it is....and isn't:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/add...-for-future-amgen-tour-of-california-editions

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/messicks-masterplan-for-the-tour-of-california

Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
131313 said:
Why do you and others insist on making stuff up, then hoping for the race to fail? It's almost pathological. I really don't get it. Is it because Lance is American and the race is based in America? Is the Giro extra-holy because Lance totally failed there? Could you please show where the organizers of the race ever said anything remotely like that?

No one ever said the ToC was going to take over from the Giro. That was never the plan. It's competing with other Tour prep races like the Dauphine, not the Girol. Get over it.

Messick has been very clear about the objectives for the race, and what it is....and isn't:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/add...-for-future-amgen-tour-of-california-editions
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/messicks-masterplan-for-the-tour-of-california

Francois made this point in the TOC Stage 1 thread...

Francois the Postman said:
OK folk, with the racing about to start, comments that have nothing more to say than that it doesn't interest you, will be treated as trolling. I think plenty of folk have made that point over the years. Game on. If you don't care about it, don't post. Let others have their fun.

Maybe a mod could reiterate that thought for this thread.

Moose McKnuckles said:

Without wanting to further sidetrack a stage thread, that USA Today article is teasing to be debated.
They appear to be suggesting that the Vuelta's future is somehow less secure than Cali's and were it to fold, then Cali could step into the breach?
Is that correct, or am I reading it wrong?
I'm still in the dark as to who the new, major sponsor will be, when Amgen drop out after this edition.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Without wanting to further sidetrack a stage thread, that USA Today article is teasing to be debated.
They appear to be suggesting that the Vuelta's future is somehow less secure than Cali's and were it to fold, then Cali could step into the breach?
Is that correct, or am I reading it wrong?
I'm still in the dark as to who the new, major sponsor will be, when Amgen drop out after this edition.

Seems like speculation on the writer's part, perhaps injecting a little controversy for the sake of it.

TRENDING THREADS