• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amgen's unethical practices

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
blutto said:
....so what do you do about commonly available substances that can "enhance performance" such as aspirin and anti-acid pills...which fly so far under the TUE powered radar they might as well only exist in a parallel undiscovered universe ...

Cheers

blutto

The Code has very good criteria for what constitutes a PED:

A substance or method shall be considered for inclusion on the Prohibited List if WADA determines that the substance or method meets any two of the following three criteria:

4.3.1.1 Medical or other scientific evidence, pharmacological effect or experience that the substance or method, alone or in combination with other substances or methods, has the potential to enhance or enhances sport performance;

4.3.1.2 Medical or other scientific evidence, pharmacological effect or experience that the Use of the substance or method represents an actual or potential health risk to the Athlete.

4.3.1.3 WADA's determination that the Use of the substance or method violates the spirit of sport described in the Introduction to the Code.

Setting that aside, somewhere I have a pretty well researched paper on ergogenic aids. With respect to anti-acids, the amount required gave me nausea thinking about it, and the rewards are modest.

Thus, it should have qualified under #2 - actual or potential health risk (stomach cramps). Apparently it does not qualify under #1 and #3 combined.

Ah, found the reference (sorry cannot find a link...):

"Theoretically, the usefulness of sodium bicarbonate should occur with exercise of high intensity and short duration, and several studies have shown sodium bicarbonate to be performance enhancing in this setting...

Sodium bicarbonate has also been shown to be effective in repeated, short duration, high-intensity exercise interspersed with short recoveries...

Data on whether sodium bicarbonate improves exercise performance in prolonged (30–60 minutes) endurance exercise are conflicting [82], but it has not shown benefit in repetitive resistance exercise [83,84]. Use of sodium bicarbonate has a potential for gastrointestinal distress, which may impair performance".

That same paper says this about asthma medications:

"There is evidence that beta agonists can have an anabolic effect when given orally, but they are not ergogenic when given at the usual inhaled dose"

I am not giving up my puffer, and it does not provide an ergogenic benefit.

Getting back to anti-acids - if you want to take anti-acids, good luck to you. Caffeine, on the other hand, packs a pretty powerful punch.

I recommend Caffeine.

Dave.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Earlier on I thought part of the Justice Dept's interest could be found in the quotes from Fahey and Rogge, today:

But Fahey expressed fears that unlicensed products flooding the market are getting out of control, and that drug companies have an even greater role to play in helping stop the flow.

"Detecting what might be performance enhancing at an early stage,'' he said. "Eliminating doping in sport, right down to our fitness centers right around the world. We always talk about the elite, but the problem is far more widespread.''

Rogge agreed that the anti-doping fight must go further than catching the cheating athlete.

"Corruption in sports invariably implicates other forms of corruption. Sophisticated doping often implicates organized crime networks which operate beyond national borders,'' Rogge said. "We need help from governments, but also those who are there to apply the law, scientists, the medical community, coaches and the pharmaceutical industry.''

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...st.ld.writethru.1142/index.html#ixzz2C45hsWFe

This is from very vanilla mainstream Sport Illustrated, not the Clinic
While Amgen and the local gym pushers may seem to have a common market the big companies have much to lose. The type of info coming together may get to the heart of the matter.