• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amount of TUEs used in 2014

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
B3hEpgZIMAA132m.jpg

Translation: A Dutch journalist asked a bunch pro teams how many TUEs they used in 2014.
MPCC members:
Giant, Belkin, Orica, Katusha, Lotto-Belisol, Garmin, Netapp, Drapac: 0
IAM: 1 requested, but not used
Wanty; “very few“
Novo Nordisk: 18, all of them for diabetes
Lampre: “We think there are more interesting things to talk about, such as sprinting, climbing, attacking, cyclists, crashes and everything else that makes this sport beautiful”
Europcar: “We have nothing to say about that”
Astana: “What are you? Nuts?“
FDJ: not reachable
AG2R, Topsport, Bardiani, Bretagne, Caja Rujal, Androni, MTN, Neri Sottoli, Cofidis: no response
Non-MPCC members:
Trek: 0
OPQS: not to be published, but the journalist knows
Sky: 2
BMC: We can’t say because of American privacy rules
Movistar, Tinkoff, Cannonade, CCC: No response

Credit to a reddit post that showed the image and the translation. Thought the clinic would be interested.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Also: the BMC excuse seems like utter BS to me.

It'd be like saying the US cocaine addiction stats are breaching US privacy laws. Which they don't, because there's no specific information about an individual being communicated.

Anyone care to comment on the legal validity of their claim?

Dear Wiggo said:

It'd be like saying the US cocaine addiction stats are breaching US privacy laws. Which they don't, because there's no specific information about an individual being communicated.

Novo Nordisk are an American-registered team. So are Garmin.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I read this in the newspaper, seems like very little TUE's. Surely at least some rider at some point needs an TUE for antibiotics or something like that.

If it isn't on the Prohibited List, you don't need a Therapeutic Use Exemption for it.

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
bobbins said:
If they are all backdating them, they only need them if their rider has been controlled ;-)

You'd stop abuse of the system rather quickly if you gave out, say, heavy fines for backdating. They should be planning it if a TUE is needed.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
From the teams that answered it's nice to see they are not abusing the TUE system, lots of zero's. I'm assuming the teams that gave a wordy answer or didn't respond have considerably more though ....

LaFlorecita said:
I read this in the newspaper, seems like very little TUE's. Surely at least some rider at some point needs an TUE for antibiotics or something like that.

Most antibiotics don't need a TUE as they are on the WADA list.
They should be noted on the doping control form, as a matter of course.

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Something I found notable is that Sky is the only team to have used them and not in some way qualify it. Honest and no bull**** there, one must admit. Although, of course, this should be expected of all teams.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
nhowson said:
Something I found notable is that Sky is the only team to have used them and not in some way qualify it. Honest and no bull**** there, one must admit. Although, of course, this should be expected of all teams.

Do you think the other TUE was for horse steroids too?

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
nhowson said:
You'd stop abuse of the system rather quickly if you gave out, say, heavy fines for backdating. They should be planning it if a TUE is needed.

Agreed. However I think the issue of Doctors in cycling needs to be addressed as an issue in itself by the UCI.

Don't get me wrong Athletes should be healthy but I think that they need to look at this.

I think that the "legal" manipulation of rider physiology is the real problem going forward as much as "illegal" doping.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Huh? Wasn't British Cycling supposed to be approving TUEs like a conveyor belt? :confused: Guess that was made up

Thought this was funny. All those pesky knee issues.
Europcar: “We have nothing to say about that”

And this
Lampre: “We think there are more interesting things to talk about, such as sprinting, climbing, attacking, cyclists, crashes and everything else that makes this sport beautiful”

Crashes make the sport beautiful?

Dear Wiggo said:

US Medical Privacy laws vary from state to state it's illegal in california where BMC is headquartered to give medical information for this purpose.

I think we are looking at 75 - 100 TUEs every season for cycling.
Wild azz guess.

Anyway, this information needs to be made available without personal data involved.

How many TUEs
What type of TUEs (some broad groups)
Team distribution
How many does the "top" five doctors issue (again no names, just numbers)
etc.

We really need the independent anti dope unit to run this type of stats on a web site somewhere.

MatParker117 said:
US Medical Privacy laws vary from state to state it's illegal in california where BMC is headquartered to give medical information for this purpose.

What is "this purpose"?

Revealing the number of TUEs is nothing individual. Nobody's privacy is being violated by saying the team's number.

Google lols: Did you mean: how many TOEs in cycling 2013

(Not that I really expect anything, but I seem to remember someone authoritative giving an estimate)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
proffate said:
didn't froome alone admit to more than 2 TUEs?

I remember him saying that "TUEs are rather personal."

A point expanded upon by Sir Dave:
We thought long and hard about [making TUEs public] but you could have some pretty personal medical conditions -- they are humans, after all. There could be very private, mental health issues, for example.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/cycling/tour-de-france/10955460/Tour-de-France-2014-Dave-Brailsford-discusses-Bradley-Wiggins-and-Chris-Froome-on-Telegraph-Cycling-Podcast.html
Make you wonder just what it its they've applied for in the past.