• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel gold in danger?

races in the Netherlands may need to be canceled as motorcycle police have suddenly been banned. Could mean no Amstel Gold this year as a result

Dutch races typically employ a mix of specifically-trained (C2) and regional (C1) officers to secure road race courses. The National Police opted to ban the use of C1 officers. According to a press release by the KNWU, the decision will likely force organisers to changed dates or cancel races altogether, since it will exacerbate an already severe shortage of trained motorcycle officers.

The press release did not state whether the move will disrupt the UCI races.

The Netherlands are due to host the UEC European Road Championships in Drenthe in September along with 15 elite UCI events, including the WorldTour Amstel Gold Races for men and women, the Simac Ladies Tour on the Women's WorldTour, the Pro Series ZLM Tour, four one-day men's races and two for women, along with six UCI-sanctioned races for juniors or under-23s.

I already posted about this in the news thread, but my 2 cents on Amstel: I think it's probably too big to fail, but I could definitely see another circuit edition like in 2021. Which would still be a crying shame. The Euros will likely also be okay because it's a fairly short and rural circuit anyway, pretty much everything else listed - as well as the domestic calendar - is unfortunately in deep trouble.

I already posted about this in the news thread, but my 2 cents on Amstel: I think it's probably too big to fail, but I could definitely see another circuit edition like in 2021. Which would still be a crying shame. The Euros will likely also be okay because it's a fairly short and rural circuit anyway, pretty much everything else listed - as well as the domestic calendar - is unfortunately in deep trouble.

That would be rather sad to lose the entire domestic calendar

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan