• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel Gold Race -18th April -257km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
Don't be so harsh. Remember to pity them. They live in iceland for god's sake. They have enough punishment as it is.

I've never even met an icelandic person online. Do they have internet there?
Heck, do they have computers, or do they use an abacus?

Wikileaks and Iceland MPs propose 'journalism haven'

I hope for them they have internet, otherwise they are now defrauding all those journalists who want to park their sensitive data on illusionary servers...

Wikileaks would not be wikileaks if they didn't manage to leak some top secret for your eyes only report. In this case, they leaked the CIA document that describes how the Agency sees wikileaks as a threat report here...

Back on topic though, most riders will have to drive down to Maastricht?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
If there's one thing I can count on in an forum it's that no matter how blatantly obvious it is I'm joking, someone will take me seriously (or in this case, several people)

I love it :D

Of course they have internet and computers. It's 2010

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Don't think Gerrans will win isso,
At Fleche Brabanconne I got more of a belting than a hit out. Not feeling good at all, still hoping to turn things around for Amstel tho.
Still think Gilbert will come up with the goods. where did the gesink figures on his watts come from?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Don't think Gerrans will win isso,

What I meant by "uhm, ok." was something along the lines of "well, stranger things have happened".

Flèche and Liége don't suit him well enough. He can win Amstel, but any other is unlikely. And that's without injuries.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
issoisso said:
What I meant by "uhm, ok." was something along the lines of "well, stranger things have happened".

Flèche and Liége don't suit him well enough. He can win Amstel, but any other is unlikely. And that's without injuries.

Nah, I knew what you meant but I was just refferring to you because of your comment on him. He doesn't have the climbing abilities on very steep gradients that Gesink, Valverde, Evans or Schlecklet have.

Going to be a bit harder for Saxo in the classics this year without Kolobnev and Kroon.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It is actually going to be the first year that I will have been able to watch the ardennes classics live as I didn't know about the live internet feeds people used.

issoisso said:
Don't be so harsh. Remember to pity them. They live in iceland for god's sake. They have enough punishment as it is.

I've never even met an icelandic person online. Do they have internet there?
Heck, do they have computers, or do they use an abacus?

I thought Iceland disappeared from the map circa 2008.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Previous winners -:eek:

2009 Serguei Ivanov (Rus) Team Katusha
2008 Damiano Cunego (Ita)
2007 Stefan Schumacher (Ger)
2006 Fränk Schleck (Lux)
2005 Danilo Di Luca (Ita)
2004 Davide Rebellin (Ita)
2003 Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz)
2002 Michele Bartoli (Ita)
2001 Erik Dekker (Ned)
2000 Erik Zabel (Ger)
1999 Michael Boogerd (Ned)
1998 Rolf Järmann (Swi)
1997 Bjarne Riis (Den)
1996 Stefano Zanini (Ita)
1995 Mauro Gianetti (Swi)
1994 Johan Museeuw (Bel)

No problem with Franck Schlek, but i dont have a lot of time for the other riders to be honest.. clinical wins by most of those if you know what I mean.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's a really hard race, although people might hang on long enough to be there in a group sprint, 90% of that group is dead when they start the Cauberg.
So people with a little 'help' ofcourse tend to be the winners.

Amstel, a truly brutal ugly race. When they got to the end I prayed for the riders. Even the lead groups look wasted, dribs and drabs of riders falling off the back... truly an endurance test....

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
ChrisE said:
Is there a chance the race could be cancelled because of the ash?

Nah. NOS (Dutch broadcasters) posted a message on their twitter this afternoon that the race will happen and they will have helicopters in the air. So, no 2005 scenario.