• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Amstel is Gold, Jerry, Gold! Men's Classic One-Day Race, April 14, 2024

Who will win Amstel Gold (Men) 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Overview:
The 58th edition of the Amstel Gold Race will be run on Sunday April 14. With narrow roads, dozens of hills and constant twisting and turning the race opens a trilogy of three Ardennes Classics. Founded in 1966, the Amstel Gold Race is the only Classic in the Netherlands.

Date: April 14th, 2024
Start: Maastricht
Finish: Valkenburg
Distance: 255.2 km

Streaming Info:
Free streams: SBS, Sporza
USA: FloBikes
Canada: FloBikes
UK: Discovery+
Australia: SBS

Startlist:

Route:
2023-03-06_AGR_Detailed_Map_Elite_Men_web.png

Profile:

mHc6F5jmutqNzUskmLgKX7-1200-80.jpg

Who ya got?
MVDP, Remco, Ayuso, Pidcock, Skjelmose, Teuns, Matthews, Cortina...Vino?

@Armchair cyclist pls sticky when appropriate. Thanks!

Last edited:
Why not already make a Tour de France preview thread as well? Or a thread for the World Championships?

But what do I know, maybe you just wanted to make this thread but have time constraints.
I’m in a 4 hour meeting, 30 mins of which are relevant. I’m a bit bored. :)

Sounds like the correct time would be after Roubaix. Fair enough. But…11 days isn’t 3 months though…right?

I dig the race, the one MVDP won might have been the most incredible finish to a race I've ever seen. I'm VERY interested to see what Remco can do vs this field, and stoked he's doing it finally.

And yeah. When the most interesting thing that's happened in Itzulia are crashes, it's been a slow start for sure. And...I think Roubaix is gonna be another field level destruction, unfortunately.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I’m in a 4 hour meeting, 30 mins of which are relevant. I’m a bit bored. :)

Sounds like the correct time would be after Roubaix. Fair enough. But…11 days isn’t 3 months though…right?
Ignore what he said. Love these early threads, there is time to discuss the race. The best thread of the year starts normally 2 weeks before the race and all due to our incredible @Eshnar !!!

I would bet my left nut it's a hairline fracture not visible on Xray.
Ok but we're going to need to see proof on both accounts.

Evenepoel and MVDP to go solo climb/hill number 14 to stay away until Evenepoel rides solo on the final hill due to MVDP being tired from a grueling monument campaign.
I hope Evenepoel doesn't make the mistake of focussing on his training buddy too much.

Evenepoel the obvious favorite. Van der Poel maybe, but he must be tired after Flanders & Roubaix. Outside chances for the likes of Cosnefroy & Ben Healy. Madouas. Although not for the win.

Someone like Andreas Kron could surprise with a podium spot. Although 3rd - 5th sounds more realistic.

Don't see Visma competing. Unless Benoot drastically improves in shape.

Amstel always has been a race though, where someone can slide in between the peak of the cobbles & Ardennes classics contenders. Hence why Lance Armstrong used to give it a shot in the past!

Evenepoel the obvious favorite. Van der Poel maybe, but he must be tired after Flanders & Roubaix. Outside chances for the likes of Cosnefroy & Ben Healy. Madouas. Although not for the win.

Someone like Andreas Kron could surprise with a podium spot. Although 3rd - 5th sounds more realistic.

Don't see Visma competing. Unless Benoot drastically improves in shape.

Amstel always has been a race though, where someone can slide in between the peak of the cobbles & Ardennes classics contenders. Hence why Lance Armstrong used to give it a shot in the past!
Lance mostly contended back when the race was after Liège.

Honest question. Why they don't bring back the world cup and his jersey? It was fantastic!! The winner should get a big prize due to being the best classicomano in the season.
I would included these races (different scoring system. Monuments would value 1.5 more)
Omloop
Strade
MSR
E3 Harelbeke
GW
TF
PR
AGR
FW
LBL
San Sebastian
Plouay
Hamburg
Lombardia

My brain didn't include Paris Tours but heart says yes...