• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

An open letter to the peloton

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
stampedingviking said:
He has already directed his venom against (some of) those who deserve it.

What gives anybody the right to hurl accusations around without any hard proof (being anti-British and anti-Sky is not proof).

The OP should also have a rant against the (millions of?) viewers who sit there every year lapping up the TdeF and other races; if you weren't responsible for the viewing figures sponsors would start asking questions/pull out because it would no longer be worth their sponsorship $.

It's not just the riders, it's YOU, the faceless habitual viewer who is to blame.

I'm not about to walk away from a sport I DO love simply because it would remove incentive to support if I did so - that would be self-defeating. Then development and growth would simply stop.
But it's a bit of a straw-man argument - I didn't ask the riders to dope. I didn't ask the sponsors to let them dope. I didn't ask the teams or staff to let them dope. I have done exactly the opposite.
The riders? They are the ones who have tolerated, who have kept silent. We saw it again today. Quotes about RdG are very sparse right now, and at a time when media would have been hunting for them. I can only speak for myself, but I would have been hunting anyone out with a pen and pad, a laptop, a microphone, a camera to condemn someone who's apparently stupid enough to go buying drugs, and with vitriol. Especially if I'd just been made to look like a fool after lambasting critics.
This is not my doing. This is the doing of those whose inaction still reverberates around the world. People need to take responsibility for the hand that feeds them, not just say "I don't do it" and presume that absolves them of blame. It's such a morally objectionable argument to make that it's insulting to be insulted by them.

stampedingviking said:
What I meant (probably didn't make too clear) was if the numbers of spectators reduced because of 'scandals' at what level would it become uneconmic or would sponsors just continue anyway?

I believe (although I don't have the stats to hand right now) that both spectator numbers on the road, and TV viewing numbers have increased exponentially since Landis was busted, and I believe last year after Contador.

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
ggusta said:
I just assume that every professional athlete in every major sport where big money is on the line is doing whatever anyone can do to win. And that certainly encompasses PED's.

Call me a cynic, but if they are all doing it, it does level the field in its own way. Their protestations of innocence are just too much. Shut up and get on with it, as far as I am concerned. I find it very unlikely that when so many top people are doping that this guy is not and is still able to hold on to the front and counter attacks on these ridiculous climbs where natural climbers are dropping like flies. Sorry. There's just way too much history to the contrary.

You seem a bit confused. You assume that every professional athlete in every major sport dopes, yet you acknowledge that natural climbers are being dropped on ridiculous climbs, implying that they're not doping.

Which is it?

I do pity the position that sports and the money involved puts once-honest people in, however. I am sure they'd all much rather win clean.

You should reserve your pity for the many athletes who were driven out of the sport because they refused to dope.

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Third attenpt to post !
Found your new twitter address then read your Blog Mission Statement which i recommend that All following this thread read : http://twitter.com/cavalierfc

Amended parrabuddy.blogspot to include the link and hope that people will stand up and be counted ! Of course it is so much easier to hide under a toadstool . Eventually the day will dawn , that WADA and IOC will deprive people of the amusements , gained from watching their offspring being misled by those that failed ! Taking the narrow path that is free of sporting Fraud takes courage particularly when your principals in a team are acting contrary to your principles !

WADA chief has asked " Dopers " to stay home ! GUESS WHAT mate , they will not stand down now , since that will put them in the limelight of public scrutiny !

May 13, 2009
Visit site
You are getting some love on one of my favorite websites

http://www.letsrun.com/

If you are not familiar with it, it was once described as a "cesspool" of a website by a current Irish olympian. However I (and I would bet More strides then rides) visit frequently and enjoy their anti-doping stance.

Thanks for resuscitating this thread.

One thing that astounds me - with the Lance case in full flight, Sky redefining blatant, and the Frank Scheck A&B positive - is that if there were EVER an opportunity to speak out this would be it.

Huge relief to see the veiled comments from Basso, but the drop of that pin was heard a continent away.

What is wrong with the peloton? Are you - the peloton - all so jacked that you cannot see the complete joke that cycling has become under the doping regime?

If this was where I got my income, I would be embarrassed.

Dave.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Thanks for resuscitating this thread.

One thing that astounds me - with the Lance case in full flight, Sky redefining blatant, and the Frank Scheck A&B positive - is that if there were EVER an opportunity to speak out this would be it.

Huge relief to see the veiled comments from Basso, but the drop of that pin was heard a continent away.

What is wrong with the peloton? Are you - the peloton - all so jacked that you cannot see the complete joke that cycling has become under the doping regime?

If this was where I got my income, I would be embarrassed.

Dave.
+1 The silence from the peleton is deafening.

Pleased to see Basso and possibly Evans veiled comments.

Sadly, if you look at twitter there are many riders congratulating him. Sad to see.

skippy said:
just tried to reach " adrian/cavalier's twitter site and it is down !

Last night i was on there to tweet with no problem but today ?

Adrian can you advise what is happening please !

The UCI and Sky and the CIA and MI5 have shut him down!
But the Man cannot silence the Truth! Ever!!
Occupy the Tour de France! We are the 99%!

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
oldcrank said:
The UCI and Sky and the CIA and MI5 have shut him down!
But the Man cannot silence the Truth! Ever!!
Occupy the Tour de France! We are the 99%!

Based on the media and fan-boy love-in, unfortunately I think we're the 1%...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts