• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Analysis on the 2013 GTs mountains by PRC

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
Interesting stuff, shame i cannot read properly at work as our IT filters blog sites, but will check out later. Funnily enough, only last night while checking out the TDF route to see which stages I'll go and watch, it occured to me that, in fact, this years tour does not look particulary hard.

Not many climbs on Pyrenean roads and nothing in the massif central to speak of. So, despite the inclusion of Ventoux and 2 x Alpe D'Huez, there's actually not much to be frightened of for someone like Wiggins, nothing over 2000m so no rarified climbing (again), no wonder he's hedging his bets.

No doubt twice up the alpe will be a pain for some, but, when you consider Cadel won in a year when the went over the Agnel, Izoard & Galibier twice I think 2013 doesn't favour the Schlecks etc (sorry Schleck unless Franks ban is timed to finish before the start- if it is funny that eh) .

I can see a fit Cadel fancying his chances and I reckon someone like Voeckler might even be in the mix, at least well placed again. From this point of view it could be a very good tour, plenty of riders will be in with a shout I reckon. I expect to see Froome and Wiggins very close on GC and Wiggins to win the TT's or be best placed GC contender in them, which will force Froome on the offensive (hopefully if Brailsford doesn't stop play). I don't think Contador will take any chances performing track stands with Froome.

The problem with Giro is not the climbs (As stated in the link, there are plenty of hard climbs) but the length of the mountain stages (except the Tre Croci-Tre Cime) I like short mountain stages but I think this Giro has way too many of them

burning said:
The problem with Giro is not the climbs (As stated in the link, there are plenty of hard climbs) but the length of the mountain stages (except the Tre Croci-Tre Cime) I like short mountain stages but I think this Giro has way too many of them
definitely. Plus, the design of all but the final mountain stages is far from good. This year Giro delivers with its medium mountain and with the ITT. As for high mountains, only Lavaredo is good (great actually).

burning said:
I fear that the medium montain stages will be raced like the stage that Rubiano won :rolleyes:
I fear a lot of things. But the chance to see something good is there. Especially since there's the ITT and hopefully someone will think of gaining time before the final stage. Plus, there are gc guys who can potentially attack in these kind of stages this time.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Doing the crostis and the zoncolan on one day, now that would be something else ;)

If Zomegnan still was here he might have made a ITT of that, would be awesome :cool:

Obviously day after we should get a Mountain stage of 250 km, it was only a ITT after all :D

The Hitch said:
meh. More meaningless Giro propaganda. Tour has 2 x alpe d huez. 2 times up alpe. Don't you get it? Thats like doing Liege and PR on the same day.

At the same time though, in order to make sure the riders aren't killed by the savagery of 2 times up Alpe, they've had to remove the Tourmalet from the route. Oh for a day with Tourmalet AND double Alpe on the route.

The Hitch said:
Agreed but that panzie David.millar and those pussies the schlecks would probably complain its too long. Wah we don't want mountain stage over 500k, as if this was a track sprint.

Blame Octave Lapize. If it weren't for him and his "assassins" schtick we might get these proper epic mountain stages, instead they've been getting shorter and shorter since 1910 to the point where we seldom see anything over 200km, let alone 4-500km like we ought to.

Libertine Seguros said:
Blame Octave Lapize. If it weren't for him and his "assassins" schtick we might get these proper epic mountain stages, instead they've been getting shorter and shorter since 1910 to the point where we seldom see anything over 200km, let alone 4-500km like we ought to.

If Desgrange was still alive, he'd make the stage from the Alpe D'Huez to the Tourmalet, then transfer back to the Alpe for a mountain ITT for the b stage of the day. Like to see that ***** Prudhomme do that.

TRENDING THREADS