• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

and yet another way for cyclists to kill themselves...

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
From today's Melbourne newspapers:

Tram Sharks

Those deadly tram sharks will get you at the weirdest places. I mean, the way that they just jump out at you at a steady pace that never deviates from the tracks!..... oh, wait....

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Greg Johnson said:
That's the bit that worries me. That it requires a transport safety expert to point out the ridiculously obvious to people.

Cheers
Greg Johnson
Even more worrying is the fact that it is considered quite OK for motorists to be cocooned in their metal shell, with music on and not paying attention to where they are going. It is irrelevant that he was on a bicycle, except for the fact that he was always going to fare worst in an accident.

once again the "experts" completely miss the point...
it's not riding with headphones that's the issue, it doing it with excessive volume so as to drown out all other noise - it's not rocket science ffs.

as for statements like this "However, Marilyn Johnson, a researcher at Monash University’s Accident Research Centre, said cyclists were already vulnerable on the roads and needed all of their senses to avert a possible tragedy." I'm pretty sure, taste (being one of our 5 senses) is pretty useless whilst in traffic...

then comes this pearler ""I think it’s dangerous enough when you’re cycling to be on the road when drivers aren’t looking out for you, and there other things that are going on around you, be it a pothole in the road or merging traffic," she said."
How about addressing this issue to improve rider safety??
In melbourne, f*ckwit motorists are the biggest danger - their attitude towards cyclists is atrocious and very much on par with those in sydney...

And the final question in all this is simply - why wasn't the tram crossing boom and lights in operation?? Is there not one at this crossing?
You'd think after the debarcle of that family being killed at a crossing with no lights or boom may have taught the road safety people a lesson...

but let's not worry about the road safety issues or the incompetence of road safety "experts", let's just blame the rider for wearing headphones...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Deaf people manage to ride and drive without any hearing. Being zoned out or oblivious to the things around you leaves you less secure. Loud music can be one of those distractions but it looks like the cyclist was riding in his own little world where there is no traffic or trams.