• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andrew McQuaid's riders: tested?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Gianni Bugno has raised objections over a "possible" conflict of interest when Pat McQuaid's son, Andrew is the agent representing several riders. Who are they and aside from the obvious potential for profiteering; do they enjoy any special status?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Daryl Impey, Daniel Martin, Nicholas Roche, Philip Deignan, Richie Porte, Christophe le Mevel, Sebastien Chavanel, Taylor Phinney and a few more

Race Radio said:
Daryl Impey, Daniel Martin, Nicholas Roche, Philip Deignan, Richie Porte, Christophe le Mevel, Sebastien Chavanel, Taylor Phinney and a few more

Hmm, that list seems to contain several of the "new generation of clean cyclists". Is it easier to claim you are clean if you are assured you'll never test positive?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
Hmm, that list seems to contain several of the "new generation of clean cyclists". Is it easier to claim you are clean if you are assured you'll never test positive?

Someone's getting warmer...

ID_STS_1.jpg

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

It's a nice little deal for the Clan McQuaid.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:

Its basically Andrew having as many young riders as he can who will be the "future" of the sport. They in turn will get looked after and protected by the mcquad family. And so the circle proves endless.

Somewhere in that little lot the UCI hope to find the next lance. Whats the odds in twenty years we are talking about a federal investigation into one or other of them.

Then throw Darach in the mix, then throw in the fact that andrew is also a race promotor and everyone benefits :D

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm not fond of this Irish way of doing business. It's odd that the McQuaid don't get a slightly more powerful rider to make a champion of. Where as the riders on that list are excellent, there are quite a few better riders.

Are we sure the McQuaids have lost all scruples?

Hugh Januss said:

Yes, clearly there are a lot of big-time dopers on that list, I mean check out all the big races they have won between them:rolleyes:

I have no qualms about the conflict of interests however, it is dodgy.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bobbins said:
And big Pats other son Darach works for Oakley, now who is their biggest star?

No, sorry, that's wrong ....(but I realize it is difficult to follow)

Gary, who is Oakleys Sports Marketing Manager, is Pats nephew.
David is Pats other son - he runs DMC Sport, a big supplier to the cycle trade in Ireland.
Darach is Pats brother - he is the race organizer who also sells second hand USPS bikes.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fester said:
I'm not fond of this Irish way of doing business. It's odd that the McQuaid don't get a slightly more powerful rider to make a champion of. Where as the riders on that list are excellent, there are quite a few better riders.

Can't lose what you don't have and, probably; can't spell.

pmcg76 said:
Yes, clearly there are a lot of big-time dopers on that list, I mean check out all the big races they have won between them:rolleyes:

I have no qualms about the conflict of interests however, it is dodgy.

Where did I say they were "big time dopers"? I was just wondering why the "new generation of clean cyclistsTM" would be needing the Pat protection policy. Perhaps they chose Andrew McQuaid as their agent just because he gets them really good contracts, who is Impey signed with again?

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
Fester said:

Paddy Mc Quack showed his lack of scupples a long, long time ago (70`s) when he went to the South Africa tour in blatant contrevention of the international sporting ban protest over aparthied.
He`s never expressed remorse.,,suprise, suprise,:rolleyes:

Oldman said:
Gianni Bugno has raised objections over a "possible" conflict of interest when Pat McQuaid's son, Andrew is the agent representing several riders. Who are they and aside from the obvious potential for profiteering; do they enjoy any special status?

If nobody raised the "conflict of interest" question when LA "donated" money to Pat & UCI- what makes you think that Andrew McQuaid's current job is ever going to "conflict" with UCI's interests?;)
nevertheless I cannot foresee one the Andrew's pupils ever having a direct conflict with UCI, since the scandal could well compromise publicly daddy's "ethics"...

Hugh Januss said:
Where did I say they were "big time dopers"? I was just wondering why the "new generation of clean cyclistsTM" would be needing the Pat protection policy. Perhaps they chose Andrew McQuaid as their agent just because he gets them really good contracts, who is Impey signed with again?

Is there a conflict of interest, Yes but I look at it differently.

To me there is a bigger conflict of interest for Pat McQuaid to be UCI chairman when he has a brother who is an agent.

I dont know how long these guys have been with Andrew McQuaid but none of these guys were 'names' just a few years ago, there aint exactly many agents in Ireland. I know Frank Quinn looked after all the Irish guys in the 80s/90s, McQuaid looking after Martin, Roche, Deignan aint much different. The others? I dont know why they would choose McQuaid.

Other than Phinney & maybe Martin, none of these guys are the "future stars of the sport", most of them are in the 27-30 bracket so hardly young.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Where are you Mr. Postman ?

Francois the Postman, please help me! I am deeply hurt by the fact that someone is being abusive by bashing not only a country, but someone else. There are no links posted. This is pure conjecture. Save our internet. Please!!!

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Is there a conflict of interest, Yes but I look at it differently.

To me there is a bigger conflict of interest for Pat McQuaid to be UCI chairman when he has a brother who is an agent.

I dont know how long these guys have been with Andrew McQuaid but none of these guys were 'names' just a few years ago, there aint exactly many agents in Ireland. I know Frank Quinn looked after all the Irish guys in the 80s/90s, McQuaid looking after Martin, Roche, Deignan aint much different. The others? I dont know why they would choose McQuaid.

Other than Phinney & maybe Martin, none of these guys are the "future stars of the sport", most of them are in the 27-30 bracket so hardly young.

That's Pat's son, not brother...

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:

In this Velonation article Andrew did not believe there is a conflict of interest:
VN: Does the fact that your father is the UCI President cause you any problems?

AM: I do get people saying that there may be a conflict of interests, but I know that it’s not the case, so it doesn’t bother me. I certainly get no favourable treatment from the UCI.

In this Velo News article Pat did not believe there is a conflict of interest:
VN: Anti-doping has of course been one of the major focuses of your presidency, but your work involves every aspect of competitive cycling — it has been part of your life since you were a kid. In fact, most of your family is involved in the sport. Has this fact given rise to any conflict-of-interest issues for you in the past five years?

PM: That’s a good question as I have been accused of it by bloggers and others because of the fact that I have a son who’s a qualified lawyer and manages some athletes and another son who’s in the bicycle business — he’s a distributor and has a bike shop and also works on events. He’s worked on events since 10 years of age and he’s now 32.

In terms of conflict of interest, I’ve always dealt with it openly and transparently, with the UCI board in particular. Because it has been mentioned at different times, I brought up the subject myself at the last UCI management committee meeting and informed them of the fact — most of them knew anyway — that I wanted it put on record that I had family members, brothers as well as sons, involved in different aspects of the sport of cycling, and if any element of their work ever touches on the UCI and there’s a discussion of that work in the UCI then I step out of the discussion. And they (my family members) have the same access to UCI staff as any other manager or whatever, but they do it directly themselves and not through me.

Repeat after me - there is no conflict of interest.

Dr. Maserati said:
In this Velonation article Andrew did not believe there is a conflict of interest:

In this Velo News article Pat did not believe there is a conflict of interest:

Repeat after me - there is no conflict of interest.

Just like Pat did not believe it was a conflict of interest, or a violation of the UCI charter, to accept payments from a Federation (Irish) and the UCI at the same time - while also 'running' for the head of the UCI.

Pat is sure clear about his conflicts.

Dave.

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Pretty much correct, and those few more would be topped by... none other than Philippe Gilbert!
Cool, eh?

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
spetsa said:
Francois the Postman, please help me! I am deeply hurt by the fact that someone is being abusive by bashing not only a country, but someone else. There are no links posted. This is pure conjecture. Save our internet. Please!!!

Dude not gettin at You here, but if You carry on posting sarcasm about the moderator's who are Just doing their Job you will most likely get a referral or a ban. :eek: