• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andrew McQuaid's riders: tested?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dear Wiggo said:
Given Porte's performances in 2012, do you still feel this way? Still squeaky clean?

The Irish riders managed by Andrew McQuaid at Trinity Sports management are the primary riders on irishprocycling.com - the site run by Ian McClure, the guy who was hired by the UCI 8 months ago as a PR firm for the UCI.

Ireland has a grand total of 4 riders at WT or Pro Continental level, maybe less depending on where Brammier goes next. What other riders would you expect to feature on this website? Secondly it merely reports on them rather than have any close contact with any of them. It is most definitely more of a fanboy site. I personally prefer other websites for up-to-date news on Irish cycling like 'Stickybottle' or even 'Irishcycling'.

The website was set up long before McClure was hired by UCI so I don't see what that has to do with the Irish pro guys. Is UCI hiring McClure a form of hiring friends, sure and it is typical of UCI/McQuaid but it doesn't really have anything to do with the actual Irish guys who feature on the website.

In saying that, I am not happy with Roche going to SBTK and some of his recent comments in relation to the Armstrong/Kimmage polemica.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Someone needs to make a visual map of Pat's cycling family so we can see where all the tentacles go. Similar to the Lance map Dimspace did some time ago, and the rider/doctor map that Caruut made.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
pmcg76 said:

I thought I'd get in trouble posting both things in one post.

My question to you is: do you still feel Porte has no advantage in having Andrew McQuaid as his agent? Your original comment was he had won nothing worth writing home about, but he has now had an outstanding season as a domestique.

Dear Wiggo said:
I thought I'd get in trouble posting both things in one post.

My question to you is: do you still feel Porte has no advantage in having Andrew McQuaid as his agent? Your original comment was he had won nothing worth writing home about, but he has now had an outstanding season as a domestique.

Yes of course there is the realistic possibilities of benefits in being attached with Andrew McQuaid. I already said there was a conflict of interest here way back.

I just don't believe that because riders are signed with Andrew McQuaid equals automatic doping as some were suggesting back then. I am not sure how someone like Porte would come to be associated with an Irish agent whilst it makes sense for the Irish guys to be with him considering they all know him personally having been on Irish teams together etc.

On an individual level, Porte has had a good season but would still not be at the top of my suspicious list. Taken as the whole SKY package it looks worse but I would still put the other 3 SKY amigos above Porte in that area anyday.

Sep 29, 2012
pmcg76 said:
Yes of course there is the realistic possibilities of benefits in being attached with Andrew McQuaid. I already said there was a conflict of interest here way back.

I just don't believe that because riders are signed with Andrew McQuaid equals automatic doping as some were suggesting back then. I am not sure how someone like Porte would come to be associated with an Irish agent whilst it makes sense for the Irish guys to be with him considering they all know him personally having been on Irish teams together etc.

On an individual level, Porte has had a good season but would still not be at the top of my suspicious list. Taken as the whole SKY package it looks worse but I would still put the other 3 SKY amigos above Porte in that area anyday.

I agree it's not automatic doping.

Ever heard of Zac Dempster? I have only coz I am an Aussie, but he's also signed with Andrew. And Darren Lapthorne was back in the day but no longer. Will Clarke, Taylor Phinney, Rohan Dennis and Ian Stannard are some of the others.

It looks like he is signing fairly young (and potentially prodigious) talent - the cynical POV being in the hope he lands another Armstrong that hits the big time, but I found that (insinuation his connections can help "protect" the rider") too far fetched.

Dear Wiggo said:
I agree it's not automatic doping.

Ever heard of Zac Dempster? I have only coz I am an Aussie, but he's also signed with Andrew. And Darren Lapthorne was back in the day but no longer. Will Clarke, Taylor Phinney, Rohan Dennis and Ian Stannard are some of the others.

It looks like he is signing fairly young (and potentially prodigious) talent - the cynical POV being in the hope he lands another Armstrong that hits the big time, but I found that (insinuation his connections can help "protect" the rider") too far fetched.

Zak Dempster has been racing in the UK for a few season's now so perhaps came across him there. The others I am not sure how they came across McQuaid.

McQuaid is still a relatively young guy who has only been on the agency scene for a short period of time so still technically building up his clientele. I think he started off with the Irish guys he knew and has worked from that base.

I guess it would be worse to be associated with a company like IMG and Toni Rominger as Cadel Evans is.

Sep 29, 2012
pmcg76 said:
Zak Dempster has been racing in the UK for a few season's now so perhaps came across him there. The others I am not sure how they came across McQuaid.

McQuaid is still a relatively young guy who has only been on the agency scene for a short period of time so still technically building up his clientele. I think he started off with the Irish guys he knew and has worked from that base.

I guess it would be worse to be associated with a company like IMG and Toni Rominger as Cadel Evans is.

Was*. Not sure who is managing Cadel but it's not IMG any longer.