• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Andy Schleck: cycling needs to focus on the future

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Every time I see these types of interviews I laugh. The peloton is scared - they want to look into the future because most of these riders doped... Going to be an interesting year because there is so many more riders that have been (and will be) identified. US and IT have so much more information...

I don't think the European riders realize the magnitude of the USADA investigation, either because they don't want to think about it, or because living in a different world they feel they don't have to, or for the same reason they feel they are imune from the contagion...which they created!

goober said:
Every time I see these types of interviews I laugh. The peloton is scared - they want to look into the future because most of these riders doped... Going to be an interesting year because there is so many more riders that have been (and will be) identified. US and IT have so much more information...

I would changed "doped" to "dope". They're still doing it.

I agree. Lot of nervous guys at the moment. The Ferrari links worry them the most. Just being named in the Ferrari file is enough confirm doping.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Well,

<<I agree. Lot of nervous guys at the moment. The Ferrari links worry them the most. Just being named in the Ferrari file is enough confirm doping. >>

I bet a lot of riders are seeing how Rogers fares with his "really, I only got advice from him no epo etc..."

If he makes it through relatively unscathed other riders will use his model and talking points (and cross their fingers)

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Who cares what Schleck has to say, him and his brother this year proved they are nothing without serious dope. Micro doping puts them way behind their egos!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
goober said:

so Andy wants the SOL to be reduced to how many years? Two?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Typical "Don't look behind the curtain" comment as the curtain exposes what's behind it. He wants everyone to look away, what will we find if we continue to look?

In a way he does have a point in saying that cycling needs to focus on the future. However, he seems to think that it's possible to somehow timetravel there, in a way so that everything that has happened earlier is just... pfffft!
We do need to focus on the future, but the only way we can get there, as in truly get there, is by cleaning up.

It's just a shame this clean-up didn't happen years ago. And I'm not just talking during Armstrong's days I'm talking as soon as it became clear that doping was/is a major problem in cycling.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Andy Schleck has no say on the issue whatsoever. He's got a brother who's in hot water for juicing 3 months ago under Bruyneel.

He should just mind his own business.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In case anyone is wondering this is the future where we don't let the mistakes of the past go for they are to be repeated, so we need to know exactly what transpired and with whom. That way we can concentrate on dealing with the future properly and more efficiently.

May 21, 2010
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
...We do need to focus on the future, but the only way we can get there, as in truly get there, is by cleaning up.

It's just a shame this clean-up didn't happen years ago. And I'm not just talking during Armstrong's days I'm talking as soon as it became clear that doping was/is a major problem in cycling.

I agree. This should have been addressed years ago and not with the typical shrug, a knowing wink and a "Well...you know...".

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B6ZycaBelU

Go to 1:40

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The funny part is what Andy said about his brother:

"Everybody knows, even the experts, that it's not a doping product, that Fränk did nothing wrong."

Well, of course Xipamide is not a doping product. It's a masking agent for doping products, that's why it's on the banned list. Is he pulling a Liggett too?

Better watch out, Andy. Fränk got caught and it'll be your turn if you ain't careful.

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Brutal fail from Andy, but he's not the only one who does not fully appreciate the amount of sh*t that hit the fan. But still probably not enough to influence the number of flag carrying schleckfans at the next Tour.

Eyeballs Out said:
In the history of the sport has a current rider ever said "we need to find out exactly what was going on in the past in order to better clean up the sport today and in the future" ?

Cyclists only have themselves to blame. Here's a chance to take some control. Be the creator of change.

But no. They all want to move on look towards the future (while continuing to dope).

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
The funny part is what Andy said about his brother:

"Everybody knows, even the experts, that it's not a doping product, that Fränk did nothing wrong."

Well, of course Xipamide is not a doping product. It's a masking agent for doping products, that's why it's on the banned list. Is he pulling a Liggett too?

Better watch out, Andy. Fränk got caught and it'll be your turn if you ain't careful.

No telling what they are using half these products for, masking, diluting the blood etc...it goes on and on. I used to hope that Andy might have been clean, even after the fuentes/frank connection. But I see through both Schlecks now

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
I imagine Andy's a little worried the UCI will be backed into a corner and take decent action against his brother to try and save face. Well, what little face they have left.

Perhaps someone who is good at such things could find out the contact details of the head of sponsorship at Radioshack and start a campaign from forum users to point out they are about to replace the biggest cheating boss in cycling history with a guy who tested positive 7 times, and that RS should use their sponsorship pressure to get someone even remotely clean to run the team moving forward. Since Andy's so keen on moving forward.

TRENDING THREADS