• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(announcing) bans

@SHaines, recently some posters got banned who I had gotten used to - and I did not see why or, more important, how long they are banned. I can understand you do not want to get into lengthy discussions about whether a ban is deserved or not, but I do find this sad, because this forum is not like reddit, where it does not really matter who takes part in the conversation. It's a "community", and personally I would like to know about the bans. If you don't want to give the reason publicly (although I don't really understand that, after all the post for which someone was banned was public in the first place - maybe it's because it's more work for the moderators, which I would in turn understand) - anyway, in that case, maybe you could put a time under the "banned"- banner? Like "Banned for two weeks". That wouldn't leave me wondering if someone will ever come back.

:)

I'm not sure I've ever seen it befoer that there's an end date to a ban displayed on someones forum profile? The user him/herself should be able to see it.

The forums I have visited in the past did only ban people when they were behaving like complete a*** that were totally unbearable. Hence, it did not happen very often or it happened to people who I would never ever want to meet in person. I don't know if I'm not up to date or if this forum is more moderated because that's the standard for anglo-forums. But the thing is people here get banned for saying things that are not great / against the forum rules, but they are not necessarily people you are relieved to never have to read from again.
So that's bothering me a bit, but I don't know the standard for these procedures.

The forum seems to be a calmer and nicer place these days. It might be because of the demise of the politics threads, or it might be because moderation has a softer more thoughtful touch. Dont see the macho swaggering that certain previous mods used to engage in. Glad to see these people no longer present. They had a deleterious impact on the tone of the forum.

Reactions: red_flanders
No, they happen for temporary bans as well.
Is there a way of differentiating permabans from temp bans in that respect therefore? For example, a lot of people will have had warnings or bans issued following on from the Quinn Simmons thread recently because of the overt political nature of it, but some of those were people who have been around for years and haven't really ever been troublemakers to the best of my knowledge, and there are obviously numerous ongoing discussions that people who were involved would disappear from. Like, I know sometimes people need a short ban to cool off, but we don't know if something additional happened behind the scenes that might necessitate further action, and it's hard to see whether or not those discussions are worth continuing.

Is there a way of differentiating permabans from temp bans in that respect therefore? For example, a lot of people will have had warnings or bans issued following on from the Quinn Simmons thread recently because of the overt political nature of it, but some of those were people who have been around for years and haven't really ever been troublemakers to the best of my knowledge, and there are obviously numerous ongoing discussions that people who were involved would disappear from. Like, I know sometimes people need a short ban to cool off, but we don't know if something additional happened behind the scenes that might necessitate further action, and it's hard to see whether or not those discussions are worth continuing.
I don't know if it's possible to display the duration of a ban in someones profile, though the devs might know. I do know that no long term posters were permanently banned over the Quinn Simmons controversy

I'd guess that adding something to a users profile detailing the length of the ban would be dependent on the software. As for announcing bans, I don't think that's coming back. I'm not a member on other forums, but I don't think it's common to do this, CN was an anomaly in that respect.
I'm an admin and mod on a football forum of +/- 800 members. Obviously that's not a huge forum, but still. When i ban people (which rarely happens) i move the post(s) for which they were banned to a closed topic in a subforum that doesn't require a login to view. That way the bannee and anyone interested can still see which post (and the reason) he got banned for, without the banner (me) having to explain to him or others why the decision was taken.

But the action serves a double purpose. By moving the post out of the topic it originated from, there is no reason for other posters to respond to a post that was inflammatory, off-topic, offensive or whatever reason in the original topic. It's a double whammy! You clean up the topic but the transgression is clear for all to see. I have also come back from deleting posts, because trolls don't get the chance to deny what they said in the past. It's all there in the archived topic.

Additionally i have added a 5 strike system for minor transgressions, to be reset each season.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: BlueRoads
The forum seems to be a calmer and nicer place these days. It might be because of the demise of the politics threads, or it might be because moderation has a softer more thoughtful touch. Dont see the macho swaggering that certain previous mods used to engage in. Glad to see these people no longer present. They had a deleterious impact on the tone of the forum.
It was definitely that attitude that lead to the creation of the ban thread, with some users demanding explanation of why certain users were banned, or why they themselves were banned on their return. It also led to some heated conversation in the Moderators thread.

Sure, this forum is less bustling now than 10 years ago, but it also doesn't have the flame wars and aggressive troll and response either