• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Annoying German Tyres

The most annoying tyre on the planet is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. My wife bought a pair of these in a bike shop in Frankfurt about 2 years ago. They are on her commuter. Oddly she likes them.

They have the thickest tread I have ever seen and I swear you might just as well be riding on solid rubber. Anyway that’s not the real problem.

Because the tread is so thick they tend to slip off the rim hook. But it seems to be very unpredictable. I have blown off these tires at least 3 times. Sometimes you pump this Damned Schwalbe up leave the room and ten minutes latter-BAM. It’s like some ****ing Gnome sneaks in and pulls the bead up.

Now the stupid German tire monstrosity on the back has decided they will no longer fit on the rim they were just on-or any other as near as I can tell. Why Why Why doesn’t this ****ing tire fit back on the wheel? The tubes the same, the rims the same, the rimstrip is new but essentially is the same. Right now I have it mounted and pumped sitting next to me, on a older Mavic rim with a different tube. The bead popped off as I was writing this. At least it didn’t blow.

Maybe if I could find an old 27 inch rim it would fit on that.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
I just laid to rest an 8 year old pair of Conti Top Touring 2000 tires off my commuter that were worn down to the casing. Replaced them with Panaracer T-Serve Protex. So far so good...knock on wood.

:) Sorry but you made me smile :)

Honestly - When I have problems like this...chuck them in the bin.

I had a set of dutch tyres - don't even know why - they were cheap or someone gave them to me. They went on the rim fine - first time I punctured I couldn't get the fvkker off - I broke two tyre levers trying (and scraped my knuckles :mad:) - I had to cut them off in the end! No idea what was going on then and still don't now.

My advice life is too short - chuck them in the bin.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Major Taylor said:
The most annoying tyre on the planet is the Schwalbe Marathon Plus. My wife bought a pair of these in a bike shop in Frankfurt about 2 years ago. They are on her commuter. Oddly she likes them.

They have the thickest tread I have ever seen and I swear you might just as well be riding on solid rubber. Anyway that’s not the real problem.

Because the tread is so thick they tend to slip off the rim hook. But it seems to be very unpredictable. I have blown off these tires at least 3 times. Sometimes you pump this Damned Schwalbe up leave the room and ten minutes latter-BAM. It’s like some ****ing Gnome sneaks in and pulls the bead up.

Now the stupid German tire monstrosity on the back has decided they will no longer fit on the rim they were just on-or any other as near as I can tell. Why Why Why doesn’t this ****ing tire fit back on the wheel? The tubes the same, the rims the same, the rimstrip is new but essentially is the same. Right now I have it mounted and pumped sitting next to me, on a older Mavic rim with a different tube. The bead popped off as I was writing this. At least it didn’t blow.

Maybe if I could find an old 27 inch rim it would fit on that.

What size tire? What the rim inside width? Are they the proper fit ? http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/tire_dimensions#rim

I've not used Schwalbe, but many people have without issues. Use your frustration and contact Schwalbe about it. Maybe they care, maybe not. Maybe they'll offer you different tires.

If not, chalk it up to experience and get something else. If you just want to be angry, that's okay too, but it doesn't last long. Once it's gone find your solution.

TRENDING THREADS