• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another low level bozo gets caught

"This year is the first year I’ve been cycling full time, so things are looking good. This is also the first year that I’ve had a coach."

Actually kind of heartbreaking and perhaps an inappropriate title for the post. Giving him the benefit of the doubt:

"I have had to work till now to support my mother, who is deaf, so it was challenging to work and do the necessary training to compete in the biggest races. This season I’m able to focus a lot more on cycling as I’ve gotten more support from my team."

Considering the motive, and the probable promise of 'rags to riches' American Style pandered by his 'coach' and new 'team'.

A more interesting post might be to discuss the detrimental impact of greedy coaches on promising young riders.

May 15, 2009
Visit site
I see where HTC Highroad is looking for a sponsor and Stapleton thinks they might be reluctant to sign back on due to the bad press cycling gets due to doping.

Maybe if the punishment were "If you get caught, you will be banned FOR LIFE ! !" No one year suspension, 2 year suspension, just banned forever ! !

That may help, I don't know.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
CosmicRocker said:
I see where HTC Highroad is looking for a sponsor and Stapleton thinks they might be reluctant to sign back on due to the bad press cycling gets due to doping.

Maybe if the punishment were "If you get caught, you will be banned FOR LIFE ! !" No one year suspension, 2 year suspension, just banned forever ! !

That may help, I don't know.

If the issue was strictly that of desperate riders doing things on their own, maybe...

Unfortunately, it's so entrenched at the team and management level (often officialy, although under the table), that pounding on individual riders will do nothing. There will always be another poor, desperate kid who has nothing to lose...

The teams are the ones that must be penalized, that'll be the only way the point is taken seriously.

A rider gets popped? Pull the team license for a month. That is a serious f*cking consequence for the riders and the enablers.

JMBeaushrimp said:
If the issue was strictly that of desperate riders doing things on their own, maybe...

Unfortunately, it's so entrenched at the team and management level (often officialy, although under the table), that pounding on individual riders will do nothing. There will always be another poor, desperate kid who has nothing to lose...

The teams are the ones that must be penalized, that'll be the only way the point is taken seriously.

A rider gets popped? Pull the team license for a month. That is a serious f*cking consequence for the riders and the enablers.

That is assuming that riders get caught....

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
PotentialPro said:
That is assuming that riders get caught....

Agreed. But riders do get caught. And then they get vilified as some sort of one-off cheater.

That's not the case. They are part of a much larger system that starts in the am ranks and continues into the pros.

The "sacks of hammers" that make up the talent pool of cycling aren't going to be the ones to make a change. That's like asking the chickens to find a nicer fox.

I can't believe this is not self-evident at this point...

TRENDING THREADS