• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another USADA Masters bust

I love the final line the best, he doped and didn't even manage to get results. I assume this is a JP customer but he is not named, although I guess any dope with a credit card can buy EPO. File this under, when dopes dope...

"Under UCI and USADA rules, Schubel is also required to return any prizes earned over that four-year period, but a review of his results posted at USA Cycling’s website suggests that he needn’t worry about that aspect of the Doping Code."

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/11/news/michigan-masters-racer-suspended-for-epo-use_150854

A

Anonymous

JRTinMA said:
"Under UCI and USADA rules, Schubel is also required to return any prizes earned over that four-year period, but a review of his results posted at USA Cycling’s website suggests that he needn’t worry about that aspect of the Doping Code."[/url]

That line amused me as well. Although it doesnt show on his results how much work he did for teammates

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
I miss the days when 45 year-olds would just wear pro team kits to live out their fantasy. Now they're buying pro team "gear" as well.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
I love it. USADA is just disposing of everyone one at a time. I'd prefer to see them all do a virtual "perp walk" all at one time.

It's shameful that USADA will not admit to the mass associations attached to the JP client base.

This way, it just looks like a bunch of old men experimenting with things they bought at the local gym.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I like how Velonews protects pros like Zajicek, even to the point of deleting comments from their news articles and forum, but when some pathetic amateur schmoe gets caught they make fun of him.

I think I love you in a non-gay way. That's exactly how I feel. Velonews quickly shut-down Zajicek's comments once someone dared speak his name (even though it was 100% true). Pelkey likened him to a rape victim (in regards to their decision not to name him), but they're just fine in running the VN bus over this basically anonymous guy.

Zajicek was a pro, and we all know he got away with it only because he called their bluff and demanded the speedy trial.

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
I think I love you in a non-gay way. That's exactly how I feel. Velonews quickly shut-down Zajicek's comments once someone dared speak his name (even though it was 100% true). Pelkey likened him to a rape victim (in regards to their decision not to name him), but they're just fine in running the VN bus over this basically anonymous guy.

Zajicek was a pro, and we all know he got away with it only because he called their bluff and demanded the speedy trial.

My question is this:

Did this dude accept his ban before Phil Z (before us pro)?

When Phil hired a lawyer, it made me think that any masters doper who would pay for EPO could afford the same lawyer who had already set the precedent to make the same argument.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
I wish somebody had made this a combo thread to include "drugs make you 40% faster"..if this clown was gassed and those are his results he is a toad stool with a bike. What would 40% slower been for this juicing dad.."I told my son not to do it"..get a vasectomy

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
he is a dope that has wasted his money WHY do they think it will make them a better cyclist at over 40yo .
We do itb for fun not money . OK some take it serious but he has a life after all the bike racing.
I know of too many old cyclists who are dead.

The doping that is done in the pro pelaton is done under controle of a Doctor or Quack but masters it is something he has done at home or his Doctor would have got him a TUE.

What happens now he gets a two year suspension and then he just falls by the wayside because he cant get back into it.

He gets sick with kidney problems and blood dissorders and finish up in a nursing home.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
The doping that is done in the pro pelaton is done under controle of a Doctor or Quack but masters it is something he has done at home or his Doctor would have got him a TUE.

You haven't met people who think they're smarter than everyone else? I have. Bike racing has many people who think they're brilliant and can do it all themselves.

Besides, much has been published about how to do it, and lots of people will proceed with that material alone.

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
From the schmo himself:

I wanted to post this to all my cycling friends and colleagues. I have been sanctioned for two years by the cycling federation for buying and using erythropoietin in August 2006. I had always wondered what it would feel like to cycle on it and exactly how much it could increase a person's performance, so I bought some online in early August of that year and took a dose each week for a month. My hematacrit before I took it was 42.3 and when I had it tested the lst week in September it had gone up to 49.2, and by mid-October it had dropped back to 44.5 I had trained with a powertap that year and my maxmimum wattage output had been 332 watts for 32 minutes at the Willow Time Trial. I did a 25 minute time trial test the 2nd week in September and my wattage was 361 watts. It was almost a 9% increase on end of season fatigued legs. When you consider that the difference between lst and last place in the Tour is only 3%, it's easy to understand why epo can skew the whole playing field and why it can't be in the sport. It made it easy to understand how whole pro careers can be made by riding 10-20 percent over their natural abilities. I did not race on it during this time, but it was still the absolute wrong choice to make. I think we all know deep down when we are doing something we should'nt be doing, and I should have listened to myself better. It was very easy and tempting to just send an email and order it, and I lacked the self-discipline then to not do it even though I knew deep down it was'nt right. I shared the numbers so hopefully anyone curious can refer to these and NOT try it!!!! I've told my son about this experience and I hope he can take away from it that there will be many times in your life that temptation to make the wrong choice will arise, and that you have to be able to have the self-discipline and moral fiber to make the right one. I hope that can be a positive aspect of this.
I am a good father, husband, and honest businessman, and every time I've ever knowingly gone against my morals, I've paid the price. I stole a .98 cent car air freshener in 10th grade and got caught, I knowingly drove my car way over the legal limit when I was 23 and got caught, and this time with the epo. I can say for sure that I will always listen to my moral compass from this point on!!! You can't selectively apply your morals, they have to be the end all/ be all that keeps you on the right path. I hope everyone understands that although I've haven't raced much in the last 3 years, I feel terrible about bringing any negative aspect to the sport. I feel proud starting the West Branch race, and I want to make sure I give something positive back to the sport and not cast it in a bad light. I love to simply ride my bike with my friends and will always do that. If you have any questions or comments, please let me know.
Take Care
Neal

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=lf#!/profile.php?id=100001853479021

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
BroDeal said:

8-9% increase in power from a 16% increase in hematocrit is certainly not as much as the worst doping fans of this forum would have expected.

This guy is a bit of a moron btw.

It was almost a 9% increase on end of season fatigued legs. When you consider that the difference between lst and last place in the Tour is only 3%, it's easy to understand why epo can skew the whole playing field and why it can't be in the sport.

That's hardly a relevant comparision. First of all, he's comparing apples & oranges (speed and power) and secondly, most of the TdF-time consists of riding in a peloton on flat terrain. The difference between AC/Schleck and Horner (who finished in 8th place) on the Tourmalet was ~10% in power.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
I like how Velonews protects pros like Zajicek, even to the point of deleting comments from their news articles and forum, but when some pathetic amateur schmoe gets caught they make fun of him.

Wanna bet that they do a follow up article on Coyle making him the victim? He's from Boulder you know,

TRENDING THREADS