• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another USADA Masters bust

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
this_is_edie said:
Wanna bet that they do a follow up article on Coyle making him the victim? He's from Boulder you know,

So lets speculate...there is no way Papp was the only guy pushing PEDs in the US...If he names 70 or something...how many others are there?

Cycling...dirty dirty dirty. Sad I had to race against all of these doped up losers (ie. Coyle in his "pro" days....) but glad I no longer race.

Ok, I'm a little angry/bitter. Sorry....

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I think Chuck's story is going to continue to develop, it is not as simple as the other guys.

Chuck is very well known in the Boulder area. He has a popular website
http://www.theprosstuff.com

When a Pro has some extra gear or wants to get rid of some stuff at the end of the season for some cash Chuck is the guy they go to.....Wonder if he also provided some other services?

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
So if I understand correctly none of these guys actualy tested positive, they just appeared on Papp's list. Seems that might be an easy one to fight. Not that I think they should. I guess I'm appplying a regular court of law with your rights as the accused and not USADA rules. So am I to understand that under USADA "law" just the appearece of dopping is enough to get you banned?

hwyrngr said:
So if I understand correctly none of these guys actualy tested positive, they just appeared on Papp's list. Seems that might be an easy one to fight. Not that I think they should. I guess I'm appplying a regular court of law with your rights as the accused and not USADA rules. So am I to understand that under USADA "law" just the appearece of dopping is enough to get you banned?

In both cases it is said that the riders "accepted" their penalty. They did not have to do so and could have contested the decision if they felt it was not warranted.

Susan

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
hwyrngr said:

They didn't just "appear on a list" - they were found to have bought Prohibited Substance which in the USADA code is a violation of "the use or attempted use" of a Prohibited Substance or Method.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:
Didn't I get pilloried a few weeks ago for bad-mouthing American Masters racers?

Hmmm....

Only when you broad brush all Masters. Many support the sport and I'm sure you know a few. This guy, unfortunately, is the poster child for the opposite extreme-deluded, misguided, immoral and slow. He probably only worries about the last thing.

JRTinMA said:
Seems Chuck let somebody use his credit card, email and notebook computer. He's innocent people...:rolleyes:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...-doping-suspension-on-former-teammates_150931

He paid by credit card and used a traceable e-mail address?? WTF. Usually these operations are set up to use Western Union or something like that. Of course if someone had to mail to a location in the U.S. it would become apparent that eposino was not in China...

This also gives an indication of how Zajicek got off. His lawyer probably used the exact same excuse: Even though it was Zajicek's credit card, it was not actually him that bought the dope. Ridiculous.

check this out

I was pointed to this posted at the link below but I don't think I can link to just this comment. Interesting theory!

http://www.podiumcafe.com/2010/11/24/1834360/moment-of-snark#52804480

What if...
Pure speculation here of course but could it be possible that confessed doper and dedicated DNF’er Neal Schubel was actually buying the stuff for somebody else? There is no medical evidence that it actually entered his veins, and the results do not indicate this either.

Perhaps he supplied it to somebody with the same family name, living in the same town with an impressive list of results. http://usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=179648 and having been busted he takes the rap.

Could this be possible??

JRTinMA said:
I was pointed to this posted at the link below but I don't think I can link to just this comment. Interesting theory!

What if...
Pure speculation here of course but could it be possible that confessed doper and dedicated DNF’er Neal Schubel was actually buying the stuff for somebody else? There is no medical evidence that it actually entered his veins, and the results do not indicate this either.

Perhaps he supplied it to somebody with the same family name, living in the same town with an impressive list of results. http://usacycling.org/results/index.php?compid=179648 and having been busted he takes the rap.

Could this be possible??

I saw that. Seems very plausible.

Back to Coyle. What I like about his excuse is that he cannot name names because he is afraid of being sued for defamation by people who are so poor they don't have credit cards or bank accounts. He himself cannot come up with $20K, so what is someone going to sue him for? Spare bikes?

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
just a question for anybody who knows. Did the makers of EPO eliminate the blood thickening problem? When everybody first started it caused strokes and heart attacks,some guys dying in their sleep. I always understood it would make your blood "thicker" doesn't seem like a drug of choice for a blue haired bike racer

fatandfast said:
just a question for anybody who knows. Did the makers of EPO eliminate the blood thickening problem? When everybody first started it caused strokes and heart attacks,some guys dying in their sleep. I always understood it would make your blood "thicker" doesn't seem like a drug of choice for a blue haired bike racer

Nope, used improperly it will kill you. Best not to follow the old pain killer adage that if one is good two is better. Riders were dropping dead in the beginning because they were self medicating, when it became institutional by the team docs the deaths slowed or stopped. There is plenty of literature available on the net now so the masters doper does not kill himself. I believe if you used a popular site of a low level US pro you could even get advice on dosing.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
He paid by credit card and used a traceable e-mail address?? WTF. Usually these operations are set up to use Western Union or something like that. Of course if someone had to mail to a location in the U.S. it would become apparent that eposino was not in China...

This also gives an indication of how Zajicek got off. His lawyer probably used the exact same excuse: Even though it was Zajicek's credit card, it was not actually him that bought the dope. Ridiculous.

There must be more to this story as Jacobs handled Phil's defense and won. He supposedly told Chuck he had no chance. Zajieck supposedly had it sent to his girlfriends place. As for not being able to find his former teammates?

Alessandro Bazzana (ITA ) Now on Fly V
Dusan Ganic (SER ) Got busted in over a year ago Italy for being part of a huge doping ring with Aleksandar Nikacevic
Ricardo Escuela (ARG) Still racing. On Team Type 1
Christian Valenzuela (MEX) ?
Curtis Gunn (USA) Living in Tuscon On Fly V
Alexi Martinez (USA) Living in California, riding for Adageo Energy
Daniel Ramsey (USA) Living in California. Riding for kyle LeoGrande's (another Papp Customer) next year.
Ryan Yee (USA) I think he is still living in Ojai

Ganic and Valenzuela. Maybe place a call to the Italian police if you want to find Ganic.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
They didn't just "appear on a list" - they were found to have bought Prohibited Substance which in the USADA code is a violation of "the use or attempted use" of a Prohibited Substance or Method.

Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure the evidence against them was pretty much air tight if they were so quick to take the suspension. And when I said appear on the list I ment that the USADA must recieved info from Papp and then they went form there. It's either that or the USADA is tapping into all our computers and listening in on are cell phones.:eek:

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
There must be more to this story as Jacobs handled Phil's defense and won. He supposedly told Chuck he had no chance. Zajieck supposedly had it sent to his girlfriends place. As for not being able to find his former teammates?

Alessandro Bazzana (ITA ) Now on Fly V
Dusan Ganic (SER ) Got busted in over a year ago Italy for being part of a huge doping ring with Aleksandar Nikacevic
Ricardo Escuela (ARG) Still racing. On Team Type 1
Christian Valenzuela (MEX) ?
Curtis Gunn (USA) Living in Tuscon On Fly V
Alexi Martinez (USA) Living in California, riding for Adageo Energy
Daniel Ramsey (USA) Living in California. Riding for kyle LeoGrande's (another Papp Customer) next year.
Ryan Yee (USA) I think he is still living in Ojai

Ganic and Valenzuela. Maybe place a call to the Italian police if you want to find Ganic.

I always trust your posts to be accurate, but this one is wrong in a few places. Some of it is in the know stuff, some of the other mistakes are common knowledge.
Bazzana- Rode for Fly V in 2010, going to Team Type 1 in 2011. I think he lived with Coyle at some point.
Escuela-Raced in Argentina the past 2(?) years. After leaving Successful Living he was supposed to race for TT1. The rumor I heard was an internal positive.
Gunn- Started out 2010 on an amateur team, but didn't race after Redlands. Still in Tucson.
Ramsey- Although he did early promo stuff for 2011, he is not racing with the team Leogrande will be racing for next year,
Valenzuela- at home in La Paz, Mexico

It sounds like Ganic would have had his own supplier. RR, I'm not trying to be a ****. I never raced on Successful Living, but with a few phone calls I could find all of those guys but Ganic. If I suspected him of using my computer and credit card to buy dope, I'd find out where he was. The risk of a defamation suit for naming names sounds weak to me since the defense to defamation is truth.

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
hwyrngr said:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm sure the evidence against them was pretty much air tight if they were so quick to take the suspension. And when I said appear on the list I ment that the USADA must recieved info from Papp and then they went form there. It's either that or the USADA is tapping into all our computers and listening in on are cell phones.:eek:

They said that Chodroff's drugs were shipped to his parent's house. Where were the drugs bought on Coyle's computer shipped to? That is either damning evidence or a defense.

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
hwyrngr said:

USADA rules and constitutional rights are much different, but anybody with a USAC license agrees to abide by them. USADA has been busy in SoCal doing OOC tests on random Cat 1s and masters riders.

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
“@joepabike: Caught doping in this climate means forget working in the sport/industry, so tell the public the truth and move on to rebuilding.”
“@joepabike: I didn't know VeloNews was now in the business of printing fiction.”

Papp on twitter

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
JustOld said:
I always trust your posts to be accurate, but this one is wrong in a few places. Some of it is in the know stuff, some of the other mistakes are common knowledge.
Bazzana- Rode for Fly V in 2010, going to Team Type 1 in 2011. I think he lived with Coyle at some point.
Escuela-Raced in Argentina the past 2(?) years. After leaving Successful Living he was supposed to race for TT1. The rumor I heard was an internal positive.
Gunn- Started out 2010 on an amateur team, but didn't race after Redlands. Still in Tucson.
Ramsey- Although he did early promo stuff for 2011, he is not racing with the team Leogrande will be racing for next year,
Valenzuela- at home in La Paz, Mexico

It sounds like Ganic would have had his own supplier. RR, I'm not trying to be a ****. I never raced on Successful Living, but with a few phone calls I could find all of those guys but Ganic. If I suspected him of using my computer and credit card to buy dope, I'd find out where he was. The risk of a defamation suit for naming names sounds weak to me since the defense to defamation is truth.

Thanks for the clarification. My intention was to point out how easy it was to find these guys. I have heard something similar about Escuela but did not write it as I had only heard it as a rumor.

One more thing I should clarify is that just because Ramsey was going to ride with LeoGrande's team does not make him questionable. My limited interactions with him have all been very positive.

JRTinMA said:

What if...

Could this be possible??

Now that would be true love, taking the fall for the missus (unless it's his sister).

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Tyler'sTwin said:
8-9% increase in power from a 16% increase in hematocrit is certainly not as much as the worst doping fans of this forum would have expected.

I have to say that I'm surprised by some of the comments here.

Let me get this straight: an average masters racer who doesn't know what he is doing (no medical supervision) injects himself mid-season and sees a 9% sustained power output and people don't think this is a significant advantage? Never mind the recovery advantages and the potential for eliminating some bad moments in a race, in my mind 9% is huge. For anyone who raced at a high level and was clean you must look at this data and be shocked. What in-season training could you do to improve 9% sustained power from mid-season to end of season??

Combine this with the comments of Kimmage and Voet from their personal accounts of the single use of a stimulant and I really have to go back and rethink my personal racing experiences.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JustOld said:
USADA rules and constitutional rights are much different, but anybody with a USAC license agrees to abide by them. USADA has been busy in SoCal doing OOC tests on random Cat 1s and masters riders.

About time. I heard there were NO TESTS at Master's Nationals in Bend by USA Cycling. They must be busy.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
compete_clean said:
injects himself mid-season and sees a 9% sustained power output and people don't think this is a significant advantage?

9% on a powertap-generated graph / chart looks really significant, but how does that 9% actually translate into the guy rocketing away from you in a race? That's something else entirely.

TRENDING THREADS