• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Another USADA Masters bust

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 11, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
9% on a powertap-generated graph / chart looks really significant, but how does that 9% actually translate into the guy rocketing away from you in a race? That's something else entirely.

I didn't say 'rocket away' but I can think of a lot ways an extra 35W is a huge benefit when hammering away sustained at 380W at critical points in the race. It significantly changes your options. Does this really require an explanation?

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
compete_clean said:
I didn't say 'rocket away' but I can think of a lot ways an extra 35W is a huge benefit when hammering away sustained at 380W at critical points in the race. It significantly changes your options. Does this really require an explanation?

The 35W is completely wasted when the guy who owns it can't bring himself to endure 5 minutes of excruciating pain like the other guys can. And it's wasted when he has no concept of how to properly choose a gear for his situation.

Plenty of guys have the 35 Watts you speak of, but they urinate it away.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
compete_clean said:
I have to say that I'm surprised by some of the comments here.

Let me get this straight: an average masters racer who doesn't know what he is doing (no medical supervision) injects himself mid-season and sees a 9% sustained power output and people don't think this is a significant advantage? Never mind the recovery advantages and the potential for eliminating some bad moments in a race, in my mind 9% is huge. For anyone who raced at a high level and was clean you must look at this data and be shocked. What in-season training could you do to improve 9% sustained power from mid-season to end of season??

Combine this with the comments of Kimmage and Voet from their personal accounts of the single use of a stimulant and I really have to go back and rethink my personal racing experiences.

Who cares if he "doesn't know what he's doing"? A 16% increase in hematocrit is a 16% increase in hematocrit regardless of the doper's knowledge (or lack there of) of doping. It's a very large boost.

Who said it isn't significant? It's much less than what the worst doping fans at this site would expect from a 16% boost in crit. That's what I said.