• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any Doglovers out there?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I have an 8-year old Bernese Mountain Dog that went lame in his one front leg since Christmas. Needless to say that after countless vets and handfulls of pills and liquid medications, he is still limping along on three legs.

But, known for a breed that does not live long past 8 years, I knew this going in.

So here is the question - I am looking for a reputable breeder to talk to about Newfoundlands. Any one out there with experience, knowledge or advise?

Thanks in advance

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
My girl is going to have pups in the next couple of weeks.
She has a black tongue and is the world's worst guard dog.
I rescued her off the streets.

023.JPG

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
My girl is going to have pups in the next couple of weeks.
She has a black tongue and is the world's worst guard dog.
I rescued her off the streets.

023.JPG

Beautiful dog... How did you rescue her off the streets?

Mar 16, 2009
auscyclefan94 said:
Beautiful dog... How did you rescue her off the streets?
She was hanging out hiding in the back corner of my lot for a few days. She had a rope tied around her neck which she had chewed through and the part around her neck was starting to dig in as she was growing. I just wanted to cut the rope off but she would not get close. I started throwing food for her out the kitchen window. Then she started taking the food out of my hand through the window. It took over a week for me to be able to cut the rope off her. So now I have a dog.
I glad I didn't feed the horses that wandered in last year:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
ridley said:
I have an 8-year old Bernese Mountain Dog that went lame in his one front leg since Christmas. Needless to say that after countless vets and handfulls of pills and liquid medications, he is still limping along on three legs.

But, known for a breed that does not live long past 8 years, I knew this going in.

So here is the question - I am looking for a reputable breeder to talk to about Newfoundlands. Any one out there with experience, knowledge or advise?

Thanks in advance

Newfoundlands are similar to BMDs but have less issues with cancers like histiocytic sarcoma and osteosarcoma. Because of the breed and forelimb involvement, I would be worried about a bone or joint cancer in your dog. :( Newfies are prone to elbow dysplasia, just like BMDs, and also hip dysplasia. They can have eyelid issues and a potentially fatal heart defect called subaortic stenosis. However, on the whole, Newfies do better than BMDs health-wise.

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
i have a rescue dog too. she's been with us going on 11 years. why the puppies....? obviously there is no shortage of dogs these days with the abandonment rate going up due to the economy.

unless she was pregnant when you rescued her. if so have her fixed. beautiful dog BTW ;).

ed rader

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
krebs303 said:
She was hanging out hiding in the back corner of my lot for a few days. She had a rope tied around her neck which she had chewed through and the part around her neck was starting to dig in as she was growing. I just wanted to cut the rope off but she would not get close. I started throwing food for her out the kitchen window. Then she started taking the food out of my hand through the window. It took over a week for me to be able to cut the rope off her. So now I have a dog.
I glad I didn't feed the horses that wandered in last year:D

Don't tell me is her name dances with wolves'. In Mexico I have experienced the most interesting animal experiences.

Mar 16, 2009
erader said:
i have a rescue dog too. she's been with us going on 11 years. why the puppies....? obviously there is no shortage of dogs these days with the abandonment rate going up due to the economy.

unless she was pregnant when you rescued her. if so have her fixed. beautiful dog BTW ;).

ed rader

she went into heat before I could get her to the shelter. I've only had her about 5 months.

ridley said:

Thanks in advance

Sorry to hear about your dog. I had a Bernese when I was younger, and she made it to 9 years. They are such sweet dogs.

Best advice I can give is before you go to a breeder, contact your local shelters and rescue groups. There are so many dogs out there that need homes, the least anyone can do is give them a chance.

Don't Shop, Adopt.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
I have 4 rottweilers in Jamaica strictly as guard dogs as Jamaica can get a bit rough security wise in Jamaica. Although they are quite playful with my kids.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I'm loaded with dogs...

I have a rescue dalmatian..she is an old codger!! I have a rescue wiener dog...pain in the azz...but good non the less. I have a fantastic yellow lab. She is extremely smart, and a great companion. I have 2 Plott hounds. Got them to hunt with...but alas, not enough time for training. They are fantastic dogs...both with other dogs and my kids. Got a little beagle...rescued from the shelter...she is a little luv bug!!

Finishing fencing the remaining acres and will take in more rescues...I love dogs!

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
I wanted to rescue dogs too but it's just too bad that I only live in a small house and I just can't take care of too much dogs. If I only have the space I definitely wouldn't mind.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
f26c5k.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's my boy sitting on a frozen lake. I've always like that photo because it looks like he's off in space. He's eaten his way through two gates this month, all so he can lie on the porch and watch the kids playing in front of the house. I guess I have to build a metal gate.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Another Rottie owner, mine is an AKC female, approx 11 years and I will be sad when she is gone!

She is beautiful, inside and out. She loves everything, unless it comess near the house...god forbid it knocks on the door!

I.
Love.
Dogs.

TRENDING THREADS