• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any master links work with Shimano 9sp chains

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
try the KMC Missing Link. works for me.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CH409Z19-Kmc+Missinglink.aspx

ch409z19blk_______sing.jpg

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
I've used SRAM gold links with Shimano chains plenty - have had it come off on the trail once, but with a spare in the pocket it's was only a 20 second inconvenience.
I use Wipperman links on my 10 speed (shimano) road bike chains and my GF has one on her 9 speed shimano MTB chain - I think they're better - never had one come off and the design seems more secure.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Your post title answered your own question. Yes, "any [9sp] master links work with Shimano 9sp chains". Have used Wipperman, KMC, SRAM in various combinations with chains from each of these companies, with both Shimano and SRAM drivetrains and they all work just fine. Some are (or claim to be) more re-usable/removable than others, but I have re-used the non-reusable ones, and had a real b1tch of a time getting the re-usable ones apart.

I'm currently also running 10sp SRAM master links on my Shimano (7800) chain, as does my wife...no problems there either, though perhaps with the new "directional" chains it may make some slight difference (1/112 assuming you have taken a few links out of the fresh chain when installing?)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Went with the SRAM gold link on advice here. Also took time to really clean the drive train.

I forgot it wasn't all black...

TRENDING THREADS