• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any one ever used a smart helmet?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I don't wear a helmet . I have a lot of hair and like my head to breathe rather than end up bald or balding like most helmet wearers. helmets = balding heads 99% of the time. Plus I am easily spotted by drivers. Long flowing locks blowing in the wind :D Its all about safety. All my friends who wear helmets " all been hit by cars" me never been hit by a car when locks are free. Grow your hair long people it makes safety sense especially if your in a lot of traffic. If you bald wear a wig :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
Your helmet looks crap and speakers are a stupid idea, go sell it somewhere else.

:D

Well said.

Ears are for listening and on a bike for listening out for other road users not music!

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
Re: Re:

Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:
Your helmet looks crap and speakers are a stupid idea, go sell it somewhere else.

Well said.

Ears are for listening and on a bike for listening out for other road users not music!

Well say.
Just as we carefully watch the road ahead when we are riding, we need to focus on the road and avoid the obstacles in our way. What on earth does the speaker function on a helmet... JUST CRAP.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:

Excuse me. Someone is being really mean here. I'm just asking if it is a good idea as I am a beginner of cycling. What I did wrong is maybe I should not have posted a link that made me appear like a seller.

Thanks for your great way of welcoming new member.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:

Well said.

You are right! It is so true that we should leave our ears for the road. So my thought of riding and enjoying music at the same time was wrong.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

MAXCYC said:
Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:

Well said.

Well say.
Just as we carefully watch the road ahead when we are riding, we need to focus on the road and avoid the obstacles in our way. What on earth does the speaker function on a helmet... JUST CRAP.

Thanks for the advice. I am getting a lot of equipment for cycling now. I was just thinking maybe when I stop and enjoy the view, it would be a good idea. Can you help me with other things?

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site
ray j willings said:
I don't wear a helmet . I have a lot of hair and like my head to breathe rather than end up bald or balding like most helmet wearers. helmets = balding heads 99% of the time. Plus I am easily spotted by drivers. Long flowing locks blowing in the wind :D Its all about safety. All my friends who wear helmets " all been hit by cars" me never been hit by a car when locks are free. Grow your hair long people it makes safety sense especially if your in a lot of traffic. If you bald wear a wig :D

:D :D :D

Cherr Wang said:
King Boonen said:

Excuse me. Someone is being really mean here. I'm just asking if it is a good idea as I am a beginner of cycling. What I did wrong is maybe I should not have posted a link that made me appear like a seller.

We get a lot of bots who post exactly the way you posted, no introduction, no discussion, just look at this crap I want to advertise for free. I'm still not sure that's not what is going on here, but let me rephrase:

Speakers, headphones and anything else that takes your attention away from actually riding the bike are an utterly stupid idea. The only smart thing about that helmet is it may weed out the people who are stupid enough to wear them and remove them from the cycling population, so the rest of us don't get blamed for their foolish actions. Anyone with any common-sense can surely work out that being unable to hear and react to 2 tonnes of screaming, metallic death travelling at 50mph 2 feet away from you is a very bad situation to put yourself in. Do not play loud music when you stop to admire the view either, it is massively anti-social. By a decent helmet that has the required certification for your country and MIPS if you can afford it. Or don't wear one, either is better than that smart-junk.

You asked someone to give you help with other things, you'd be better asking separate questions or detailing what "things" you are interested in.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:

"I don't advise a hair cut man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bold-headed men are uptight."

Man :D

Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:

"I don't advise a hair cut man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos and transmit them directly into the brain. This is the reason bold-headed men are uptight."

Where's the thumb's Up emoticon??? It's easier to get the tin foil hat on with short hair though.

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site

Cherr Wang said:
MAXCYC said:
Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:

Well said.

Well say.

Thanks for the advice. I am getting a lot of equipment for cycling now. I was just thinking maybe when I stop and enjoy the view, it would be a good idea. Can you help me with other things?

I'm really glad to help you, but like what equipments for cycling?

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Cherr Wang said:
King Boonen said:

We get a lot of bots who post exactly the way you posted, no introduction, no discussion, just look at this crap I want to advertise for free. I'm still not sure that's not what is going on here, but let me rephrase:

Speakers, headphones and anything else that takes your attention away from actually riding the bike are an utterly stupid idea. The only smart thing about that helmet is it may weed out the people who are stupid enough to wear them and remove them from the cycling population, so the rest of us don't get blamed for their foolish actions. Anyone with any common-sense can surely work out that being unable to hear and react to 2 tonnes of screaming, metallic death travelling at 50mph 2 feet away from you is a very bad situation to put yourself in. Do not play loud music when you stop to admire the view either, it is massively anti-social. By a decent helmet that has the required certification for your country and MIPS if you can afford it. Or don't wear one, either is better than that smart-junk.

You asked someone to give you help with other things, you'd be better asking separate questions or detailing what "things" you are interested in.

Thank you for your detailed explanation. And i am sorry I did not know it was because the way I posted. I wanted to introduce myself first, but somehow the one I introduced myself just could not be submitted.

I still need suits, shoes, gloves, etc. well you know, I am a beginner. I don't exactly know what else I need.

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

MAXCYC said:
Cherr Wang said:
MAXCYC said:
Benotti69 said:
King Boonen said:

Well said.

Well say.

I'm really glad to help you, but like what equipments for cycling?

Thank you very much! Like suit,shoes, mask, of course and a bike that's good for beginner? I don't exactly know. The first thing that came into my mind was a helmet. What do I need? i don't have anything yet. I want to look professional and well protected.

Cherr Wang said:
King Boonen said:
Cherr Wang said:
King Boonen said:

Thank you for your detailed explanation. And i am sorry I did not know it was because the way I posted. I wanted to introduce myself first, but somehow the one I introduced myself just could not be submitted.

I still need suits, shoes, gloves, etc. well you know, I am a beginner. I don't exactly know what else I need.

No worries, sorry if my first post offended you.

I will assume you are doing road cycling, correct me if I'm wrong as the advice can change a lot.

Clothing wise I can recommend the following:

For bib shorts I would look at brands that use the Cytech Elastic Interface pads. A list of companies can be found here:
http://www.elasticinterface.com/brands-2/

Make sure they are using them in the bibs you buy, they may only use them in their more expensive ones. They are hands down the most comfortable pads I've tried. I favour Pactimo shorts as they are not too expensive and available in plain black:

http://www.pactimo.com/shop/uk/ascent-pro-bibs-men-s-1-1.html

For jerseys I personally favour merino wool and merino wool blends, I find them very comfortable and they work in a wide range of temperatures. Torm makes the cheapest sportwool (wool and lycra blend) jersey I have and it's very nice, Vulpine make a jersey I have found most versatile, the Alpine, as it can be worn with a baselayer in winter, on it's own in summer or even as a baselayer if you will have a jacket on all day:

http://torm.cc/products.html

http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/mens/jerseys/men-s-short-sleeve-merino-alpine-jersey-in-aqua

Jacket wise you can spend a lot of money and you do tend to get what you pay for, however, to start with I would just recommend either a pak-a-jak or a pak-a-gilet from Endura. Neither of these is brilliantly waterproof, but if you ride in the rain you will get wet and the idea is mainly to stay warm. I find that a merino baselayer, jersey, arm warmers and a pak-a-gilet are warm enough for 90% of what I ride in, but I don't feel the cold much.

Gloves wise I can't be much help as I really don't like riding in them. I don't wear them in the summer, despite trying to find unpadded ones. In the cold I'll wear a neoprene full hand glove, I think they are from Madison. Wet gloves will get cold rapidly in the wind and when descending, if you really feel the cold you might consider waterproof gloves, but bear in mind water still gets into them and it doesn't get out.

Shoes is a minefield. Loads of options and different systems from flats for mtb to road clipless (SPD-SL) types. A lot will frown at this, but I personally think spd (shimano's mountain bike cleats) shoes are the best for 95% or riding, especially if you are not racing. Being able to get off and walk is a massive bonus.

Hope that helps, anything else just ask. I would recommend going to a local bike shop and speaking to them. Things may cost you a bit more, but they can be a massive help. Where do you live?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:

Its quite interesting that anyone with long hair is stereotyped to be some kind of hippy /crazy dude.

It really shows a strong lack of intelligence and a lack of understanding of human nature and maybe a sign of jealousy because of their own lack of locks. I cut my hair short last summer but have decided to grow it long again at the start of the year, because I can. its already past my shoulders [ grows quick ]

I for instance [a man with long hair] never say " man" or dude etc I have been known to use the words "moron" as"h%le" but never man :D

ray j willings said:
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:

Its quite interesting that anyone with long hair is stereotyped to be some kind of hippy /crazy dude.

It really shows a strong lack of intelligence and a lack of understanding of human nature and maybe a sign of jealousy because of their own lack of locks. I cut my hair short last summer but have decided to grow it long again at the start of the year, because I can. its already past my shoulders [ grows quick ]

I for instance [a man with long hair] never say " man" or dude etc I have been known to use the words "moron" as"h%le" but never man :D

What really shows lack of intelligence is giving the length of one's hair more than cursory consideration. I wear mine very short because I can't be bothered looking after it. I have plenty of it and could easily grow it long, even after all these years of wearing helmets. I couldn't give tinker's cuss about how it looks or how I might be stereotyped (whatever that means).

ray j willings said:
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:

I would have thought, given your penchant for all things weight weenie-ish, that long hair would be counter intuitive to your modus operandi :confused:

But anyways......rock on with yah bad self man!

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
winkybiker said:
ray j willings said:
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:

What really shows lack of intelligence is giving the length of one's hair more than cursory consideration. I wear mine very short because I can't be bothered looking after it. I have plenty of it and could easily grow it long, even after all these years of wearing helmets. I couldn't give tinker's cuss about how it looks or how I might be stereotyped (whatever that means).

Thanks for letting us know about your hair situation. Pleased its all there :D
I don't think talking about ones appearance shows a lack of intelligence. I mean after all we live in a world where appearance and image dominates the media screens people watch.
If our PM David Cameron dyed his hair blonde it would be on every front page of our newspapers.
The fact he has just announced a new policy to give police more powers to snoop around on our computers has not even touched the papers or TV news but if he dyed his hair blond ......
That's the world we live in.
A world becoming full of take away food obese morons who spend all day staring at a screen.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
ray j willings said:
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:

I took a quote from a Cult film. Nothing more to it than that Ray. Lighten up dude-man! :)

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:
Benotti69 said:
ray j willings said:
I don't wear a helmet . I have a lot of hair and like my head to breathe rather than end up bald or balding like most helmet wearers. helmets = balding heads 99% of the time. Plus I am easily spotted by drivers. Long flowing locks blowing in the wind :D Its all about safety. All my friends who wear helmets " all been hit by cars" me never been hit by a car when locks are free. Grow your hair long people it makes safety sense especially if your in a lot of traffic. If you bald wear a wig

I took a quote from a Cult film. Nothing more to it than that Ray. Lighten up dude-man! :)

I was light man. I was just making a point about how easy it is to stereotype someone dude [ ha ha]

I could see how it come across that way . it was more of a general point no offence was meant towards you.
Peace man :D [keeping those hippy jokes flowing]

Feb 27, 2016
Visit site

King Boonen said:
Cherr Wang said:
King Boonen said:
Cherr Wang said:
King Boonen said:

No worries, sorry if my first post offended you.

I will assume you are doing road cycling, correct me if I'm wrong as the advice can change a lot.

Clothing wise I can recommend the following:

For bib shorts I would look at brands that use the Cytech Elastic Interface pads. A list of companies can be found here:
http://www.elasticinterface.com/brands-2/

Make sure they are using them in the bibs you buy, they may only use them in their more expensive ones. They are hands down the most comfortable pads I've tried. I favour Pactimo shorts as they are not too expensive and available in plain black:

http://www.pactimo.com/shop/uk/ascent-pro-bibs-men-s-1-1.html

For jerseys I personally favour merino wool and merino wool blends, I find them very comfortable and they work in a wide range of temperatures. Torm makes the cheapest sportwool (wool and lycra blend) jersey I have and it's very nice, Vulpine make a jersey I have found most versatile, the Alpine, as it can be worn with a baselayer in winter, on it's own in summer or even as a baselayer if you will have a jacket on all day:

http://torm.cc/products.html

http://www.vulpine.cc/uk/mens/jerseys/men-s-short-sleeve-merino-alpine-jersey-in-aqua

Jacket wise you can spend a lot of money and you do tend to get what you pay for, however, to start with I would just recommend either a pak-a-jak or a pak-a-gilet from Endura. Neither of these is brilliantly waterproof, but if you ride in the rain you will get wet and the idea is mainly to stay warm. I find that a merino baselayer, jersey, arm warmers and a pak-a-gilet are warm enough for 90% of what I ride in, but I don't feel the cold much.

Gloves wise I can't be much help as I really don't like riding in them. I don't wear them in the summer, despite trying to find unpadded ones. In the cold I'll wear a neoprene full hand glove, I think they are from Madison. Wet gloves will get cold rapidly in the wind and when descending, if you really feel the cold you might consider waterproof gloves, but bear in mind water still gets into them and it doesn't get out.

Shoes is a minefield. Loads of options and different systems from flats for mtb to road clipless (SPD-SL) types. A lot will frown at this, but I personally think spd (shimano's mountain bike cleats) shoes are the best for 95% or riding, especially if you are not racing. Being able to get off and walk is a massive bonus.

Hope that helps, anything else just ask. I would recommend going to a local bike shop and speaking to them. Things may cost you a bit more, but they can be a massive help. Where do you live?

Hi, King,

Thank you! You are actually very nice and helpful. well, i am sorry for saying you are mean. I shall take a close look at all the things that you recommended and decide.

I travel for business a lot, here and there for a few months. that just decided I can hardly join a local group, but I will find one if they don't mind.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Post by KB:
"For jerseys I personally favour merino wool and merino wool blends, I find them very comfortable and they work in a wide range of temperatures. Torm makes the cheapest sportwool (wool and lycra blend) jersey I have and it's very nice, Vulpine make a jersey I have found most versatile, the Alpine, as it can be worn with a baselayer in winter, on it's own in summer or even as a baselayer if you will have a jacket on all day:"

In my opinion any jersey that fits you is OK. I wear a polyester wicking undershirt - I heard from pro cyclists that the two layers of cloth help protect your skin in a spill. I also favor long sleeve jerseys to kep sun off my arms and I wear anti-UV sleeves with short sleeve jerseys. I also use sun protection cream on my face, neck, and legs.