• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Any Pads that work in Scott/Mathauser Shoe?

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello- I have a older Mountain Klein i bought in '91 and ordered with these shoe/pads. Now hard to find. I did see @ ebay recently but passed.

Do any mechanics have a recommend of any pad that can be adapted into the Scott shoe decently? Shame to toss the very good shoe for lack of exact replacement.

I can rework and fit up anything if the pad oversize etc. Very good local shop-just haven't asked them about this yet. Thought I'd ask here as world wide creativity available.

Thanks...

May 20, 2010
Visit site
if you are talking about the finned black shoes (or others that took the same pads), pre-97 dura-ace replacement pads fit. they aren’t the right shape, but they are a secure fit.

don’t know if they are still available, but they were certainly more popular in their day than the scott-mathauser pads.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes these have the stiffener ridges. I'll see if I can find early Dura ace-may be just as difficult. All the KoolStops etc I've looked at so far are radius.

May just need to go modern after all :( , but holding out to keep this machine in its era.

Appreciate the tip...GoodDay.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
You may want to call these guys these guys, they sell new S-M brake shoes w/pads. They say they're cartridges , but don't list replacement pads..... odd . http://store.yokozunausa.com/brakepadsshoes.html

You can always get the S-M pads though, Kool Stop Salmon and these are all the same thing. The finned holder isn't that important though .... if brakes were running so hot that we needed additional cooling, many of cyclists would have crashed and burned by now.

TRENDING THREADS