• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone buying Ricco's redemption?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
one very accomplished pro rider, eki, from one of the slimiest teams the sport has ever seen (discovery) called ricco a slime ball (using informal translation).

me ? i'm willing to give him an opportunity to prove himself but expect anything.

one thing that would help his public image would be if he did what basso has done - publish both his performance and blood profiles including the results of the total hg tests.

so far - none.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
I agree with the wait and see approach based on the next couple of years results. It would be nice if he cleaned up but you have to keep his past in mind.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I do. It's obviously not a PR scheme, as it wasn't even his idea. Aldo Sassi spoke to smeone, during the New Pathways Conference if I remember correctly. He said that Ricco was a great climber and that he'd like to work with him to help him down the right path (my words). It made the papers, Ricco heard about it and made the call.

Sassi has been told that his life expectancy is roughly next year's Tour de France. He calls working with Ricco his last big gamble. A lot of cycling is against Ricco, to have a top,, respected coach saying he'd like to use part of the last months of his life working with him is kind of huge.

Ricco is on Vacansoleil, who should be invited to all three grand tours next year. He's now got the same coach that heped Cadel win Worlds and Basso win the Giro. There's no way he cheats during the next eight months, especially with Mapei monitoring everything. If he has a strong first half of the year clean, he has a chance.

For the record, I hated him when he was racing against Contador at the Giro, just based on personality. So this is pretty much his first chance ever for me to say something positive about him. I still don't know if I'm following the sport next year, but I believe redemption is possible, and applaud Sassi reaching out to him when he could work with any rider.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
python said:
one very accomplished pro rider, eki, from one of the slimiest teams the sport has ever seen (discovery) called ricco a slime ball (using informal translation).

me ? i'm willing to give him an opportunity to prove himself but expect anything.

one thing that would help his public image would be if he did what basso has done - publish both his performance and blood profiles including the results of the total hg tests.

so far - none.

Is Basso clean now? Always thought Cunego was a good example of a former doper riding clean

theswordsman said:
I do. It's obviously not a PR scheme, as it wasn't even his idea. Aldo Sassi spoke to smeone, during the New Pathways Conference if I remember correctly. He said that Ricco was a great climber and that he'd like to work with him to help him down the right path (my words). It made the papers, Ricco heard about it and made the call.

Sassi has been told that his life expectancy is roughly next year's Tour de France. He calls working with Ricco his last big gamble. A lot of cycling is against Ricco, to have a top,, respected coach saying he'd like to use part of the last months of his life working with him is kind of huge.

Ricco is on Vacansoleil, who should be invited to all three grand tours next year. He's now got the same coach that heped Cadel win Worlds and Basso win the Giro. There's no way he cheats during the next eight months, especially with Mapei monitoring everything. If he has a strong first half of the year clean, he has a chance.

For the record, I hated him when he was racing against Contador at the Giro, just based on personality. So this is pretty much his first chance ever for me to say something positive about him. I still don't know if I'm following the sport next year, but I believe redemption is possible, and applaud Sassi reaching out to him when he could work with any rider.

Agree completely! Also when you read the article it's quite clear his initial ambitions are a lot less than they would otherwise have been. The whole "goodbye to the Cobra" thing to me sounds like a genuine goodbye to his old ways - and those ways are no doubt older than his positive test although he still plays that card, but let's not split hairs...

TRENDING THREADS