• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone else damage/destroy ordinary bikes?

I have bought many perfectly goodlooking second hand bikes and the way I drive them just gives problems.

I have pulled off the handles of several bikes. If they have a bend steering, more often than not the rubber of the handlebars will slowly come off.

Nexus gear hubs, they just break, always. Too much torque on them and they fail eventually.

Even frames in combination with rust gives problems.

I need two cheap bikes no one will care to steal and one needs to be at a train station, in the rain.
City bikes here seem to be made for children and elderly only. They even all have forefork suspension now, which makes it completely impossible to use them. The whole thing feels like jelly if you ever go out of the saddle. In fact, so many adult secondhand bikes are now ebikes.
They all have hub gears, made of steel and rust, have handle bars angled towards you, forewheel suspension.
I admit I like to accelerate fast and like to go out of the saddle with my 85 kg and prob create something like 400 to 500 watts for a few seconds.
Doesn't help that I also have to go up 7% hills every once in a while. I don't like to slow down just because of a hill or because of wind.

Doesn't help that I need a large frame size. All sport bikes that even get close are like 21 gears and even they don't look sturdy.

I can't find a cheap second hand bike that won't be destroyed in 6 months by rain or my cycling style. Considering buying a new reinforced alu fixie and painting it or something so it looks like a trash bike. Last week the better of my two bikes snapped because the welding failed. It can't be fixed even though the bike still looks really nice.

I live in the Netherlands.

Anyone have similar experiences? I can't be the only one. Are there actually bikes out there that can handle a tall male fit adult that wants to drive it for both commute and fitness?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you are buying badly maintained bikes.
I know someone who lives in a university town where theft is rampant. He buys used bikes for $50 or so, strips then reassembles them, replaces the saddle, sprays them a terrible looking paint job, and uses a really rugged. bike lock.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
It sounds like you are buying badly maintained bikes.
I know someone who lives in a USA university town where theft is rampant. He buys used bikes for $50 or so, strips then reassembles them, replaces the saddle, sprays them a terrible looking paint job, and uses a really rugged. bike lock.

Maybe you could ask your local cycling club if they have any old track bikes for sale. Then you just attach a front brake and make sure that you look after it. It will have a strong frame and chain and if you look after the wheels and tyres it should last you a long time.