• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone else is fed up with those climbs you find everywhere?

Nokereberg: Dwars d. België, Nokere Koers (several times)
Berendries: Dwars d. België, Gent-Gent, De Panne (2X), RvV
Leberg: same as Berendries
Kemmelberg: Wevelgem (2), West Flanders, De Panne
Eikenberg: Harelbeke, Dwars d. België, Gent Gent, RvV
Taaienberg: Harelbeke, Gent-Gent, RvV
Paterberg: Harelbeke, Dwars d. België, RvV
Oude Kwaremont: Harelbeke, Dwars d. België, Kuurne, RvV
Trieu: same as Kwaremont
Tiegemberg: Harelbeke, Kuurne, De Panne
Valkenberg: Dwars d. België, Gent-Gent, De Panne (2)
Tenbosse: Gent-Gent, RvV
Muur: same as Tenbosse
Molenberg: id.
Monteberg: Gent-Wevelgem (2), De Panne
Edelaere: De Panne (2), Kuurne
Kruisberg: Gent-Gent, Kuurne, De Panne (2)

I believe all these climbs should be reserved for only one elite race.

Coz that's as if Liège, the Flèche and the GP Wallonie all had Stockeu, the Haute-Levée and the Redoute. :rolleyes:

When you live in Belgium over a long time, I guess it becomes boring but most overseas fans only get to see Ghent-Wevelgem or De Ronde so it doesnt get as boring as quickly.

I lived in Belgium for one year near the French border, there was so many races within an hour yet I admit to finding it hard to muster up the interest to go to them all. I went to most of the top races but I watched quite a few on television and it was great to see the semi-classics for the first time.

Its like everything in life, people dont always appreciate whats at their front door. It bcomes boring.

Actually my feeling is that you can find many other climbs or cobble sections in that area. These races should have their own identity and not be, every one of them, "baby-Ronde".

If Dwars door Vlaanderen becomes Dwars door België again, it can get a lot of climbs in French speaking Belgium which are not part of any elite races.

The côte des Hauts, for example, which is the hardest climb in the Tryptique des Monts et Chateaux. Formerly in the route of Dwars door België.

Gent Wevelgem could find other climbs in Northern France.

By the way, I think that the E3 Prijs' and Het Volk's were not that heavy in the eighties. They hardened the races a lot in the mid-nineties. But I need confirmation for this.

My question is not whether you like these climbs or not but whether ALL Flemish races should have the SAME few climbs.

There are many more of them in the area, I insist. And many more cobble sections as well.

The great thing about the Oude Kwaremont & co is their rarity. A climb like that should be reserved to the Tour of Flanders. If every race has it, it loses its magic.

A race like E3 Prijs has now become a baby Ronde, since the mid-nineties (I'm sure it didn't have the same route before). It's an heresy. :rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Echoes said:
My question is not whether you like these climbs or not but whether ALL Flemish races should have the SAME few climbs.

There are many more of them in the area, I insist. And many more cobble sections as well.

The great thing about the Oude Kwaremont & co is their rarity. A climb like that should be reserved to the Tour of Flanders. If every race has it, it loses its magic.

A race like E3 Prijs has now become a baby Ronde, since the mid-nineties (I'm sure it didn't have the same route before). It's an heresy. :rolleyes:

I kinda have the same opinion; there are plenty of other climbs in that region. However, the problem is not the fact that they use the same climbs over and over; it's more about the same combination of climbs that they put in the parcours: Haaghoek+Leberg+Berendries or Kwaremont+Paterberg+Trieu.

TRENDING THREADS