• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone else riding shallow drop bars?

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I picked up a set of FSA wing pro compact drop bars this year and am super happy with them. The shallow drop makes it far easier for this inflexible guy to ride in the drops (yea, I know I need to stretch more). Even better is the continuous radius drops which gives me more hand positions than anatomic bars.

I know 3T, Bontrager and few others are making shallow drop bars now too. If you find riding in the drops uncomfortable but are comfortable riding on the tops or hoods, you might want to check out a set.

FSA Omega Shallow Drop

I'm using FSA Omega Shallow Drops and love 'em. The bend is a comfortable mix of ergo/traditional that provides a great feel in the drops. Best part is - they are only ~$35...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc said:
I'm using FSA Omega Shallow Drops and love 'em. The bend is a comfortable mix of ergo/traditional that provides a great feel in the drops. Best part is - they are only ~$35...

+1 They came on my new Focus. Only 4 hours on them so far but they seem to be pretty good.

Reach...

One caveat...the reach (at least on the FSA bend) is also 1cm shorter. So, if you make the swap you will likely need to make a corresponding stem adjustment.

I first started using them just for the reduced reach but now love the bend and resulting position.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Yeah.
I hate ergo bars. The angle to the drops and short horizontal drop is awful on my hands - major sore spots. I got a set of wing compacts and am all happy. Was about to go back to traditional bars before I got these.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
I am fairly flexable for a 65 yo Vet but I have been using the 3T eurgosum shallow drop . they are great and considering getting another set of the entry level eurgosum for my old bike. There is also a huge range of different placement for the levers on these bars.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Went with the Deda Zero100 this season. They have a number of bars in their line-up now with this RHM (rapid hand movement) bend. Only been on the rollers with them so far, but I'm really more comfortable in the drops than ever before. No more passé ergo bend.
DEDAzer0.jpg

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Don't ride anything but shallow drop traditional round bends. Tried others, even the Deda's above, just could not get comfortable on them.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Went with the Deda Zero100 this season. They have a number of bars in their line-up now with this RHM (rapid hand movement) bend. Only been on the rollers with them so far, but I'm really more comfortable in the drops than ever before. No more passé ergo bend.
DEDAzer0.jpg

I agree on ergo bend. After riding bars with the new bend, I can't believe what a bad idea ergo bars really are. There's literally one hand position and it's an awkward one when standing with your hands on the drops.

TRENDING THREADS