• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

Anyone hear anything about a Lance - Trek split?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
Kennf1 said:
As I recall, it took Trek about a month to take down Contador's picture after he signed with Specialized..
probably more to do with trying to flog Trekkies on the back of his TdF win for those yanks who dont follow anything but he TdF...

Kennf1 said:
I can't imagine the medical technology exists to surgically remove Burke's lips from LA's backside.
i am pretty sure ol Burkie is regretting sticking his lips on that rear, but there ya go stuck till LA gives him the brush off:D
 
Jul 22, 2009
3,351
0
0
pedaling squares said:
Let me see if dumb old me can grasp the nuances of this complex discourse:

OP creates a thread about Lance and Trek potentially discontinuing their association. Someone makes a comment about Lance starting his own brand and makes not so subtle reference to LeMond's bad experience with Trek. We're still on topic here even if this was tongue in cheek. You use this as a platform to suggest LeMond squawked about Lance because he felt his legacy was threatened. The topic of the thread is turning from Lance to LeMond. Another poster expresses frustration with your comment. You use this as a platform to suggest that LeMond knew all about doping before he commented about Lance, but chose him as his target. Thread about Lance and Trek now pointed at LeMond. Then I add my comment. Which was poorly worded I admit, I should have used "bitter" or "jealous" or another from the list of talking points instead of "dirty", which sounded too much like PED use.

So which one of us threw a strange spin on the thread Scribe?
You would have saved everyone a lot of time if you had just posted what I bolded.
 
Jul 23, 2009
2,842
0
0
scribe said:
You would have saved everyone a lot of time if you had just posted what I bolded.
And think of the time and frustration you would save us all if you would discuss the topic of a thread and not divert it to your favourite 3-4 lines of thought.
 
Apr 20, 2009
902
0
0
tubularglue said:
http://www.trekbikes.com

go to site, search site

no pictures
no text
nothing

lance armstrong
sell by date, spoiled
they have moved on
next

the lance ads on this site are gone
distance/out of mind
vanishing act
He's one of the pictures on the homepage of the US version of the site.

I lied...he's two of the pictures.

and if you click on roadbikes, The Bikes of Stages Armstrong campaign is on that page as well.

...and then if you click on Madone he's the lead story with a video about that frame.

Other than that, it's a virtual vanishing act!!!
 
eleven said:
He's one of the pictures on the homepage of the US version of the site.

I lied...he's two of the pictures.

and if you click on roadbikes, The Bikes of Stages Armstrong campaign is on that page as well.

...and then if you click on Madone he's the lead story with a video about that frame.

Other than that, it's a virtual vanishing act!!!
The IT guys haven't got to the part of the site yet. Give them time. There was a lot of cleaning up to do.
 
Apr 20, 2009
902
0
0
thehog said:
The IT guys haven't got to the part of the site yet. Give them time. There was a lot of cleaning up to do.
The IT guys haven't got the main home page yet:D
 
Sep 24, 2009
1,851
0
0
eleven said:
The IT guys haven't got the main home page yet:D
Yeah, it's a good strategy with the amount of time Pharmstrong spends on the net.

Trek will have completely separated from Pharmstrong and their last act will be to pull the plug on Pharmstrong propaganda leaving the man himself no time to respond.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
LA's face is not on any ads in here at present, trek, giro, shack etc......

maybe they know something we don't:rolleyes:
 
Aug 3, 2009
3,045
0
0
eleven said:
He's one of the pictures on the homepage of the US version of the site.

I lied...he's two of the pictures.

and if you click on roadbikes, The Bikes of Stages Armstrong campaign is on that page as well.

...and then if you click on Madone he's the lead story with a video about that frame.

Other than that, it's a virtual vanishing act!!!
I'm pretty sure there was a time, not too long ago, when simply typing ww.trek.com took you to all the Armstrong contect you could stomach. No further clicks needed.
 
Jun 15, 2009
348
0
0
Benotti69 said:
LA's face is not on any ads in here at present, trek, giro, shack etc......

maybe they know something we don't:rolleyes:
Perhaps more surprisingly, he's not at VN, either. I just clicked about 10 different pages and the only LA-related ad was Oakley pushing LiveStrong Jawbones. No LA though - just the shades. Even this article about LA giving a commencement address next May featured no LA-related ads.

OTOH, the lack of LA advertising could also be related to the TdF being over. LA advertising is always pimped most heavily for 3 weeks in July.
 
Apr 20, 2009
902
0
0
powerste said:
Perhaps more surprisingly, he's not at VN, either. I just clicked about 10 different pages and the only LA-related ad was Oakley pushing LiveStrong Jawbones. No LA though - just the shades. Even this article about LA giving a commencement address next May featured no LA-related ads.

OTOH, the lack of LA advertising could also be related to the TdF being over. LA advertising is always pimped most heavily for 3 weeks in July.
I suspect the part about the Tour being over is the biggest factor, but they're probably also less inclined to use him in cycling-oriented websites right now. In Mich Ultra ads etc...for the general American populous? No decline.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
powerste said:
Perhaps more surprisingly, he's not at VN, either. I just clicked about 10 different pages and the only LA-related ad was Oakley pushing LiveStrong Jawbones. No LA though - just the shades. Even this article about LA giving a commencement address next May featured no LA-related ads.

OTOH, the lack of LA advertising could also be related to the TdF being over. LA advertising is always pimped most heavily for 3 weeks in July.
yep, but because he is in the news at the moment or recent moments and all publicity is good publicity (or so we are told) i would have thought they would not be dropping his face from 'Madone' ads or other nikey shíte etc. but maybe they as i said they have decided collectively (LA/Wesiel decision) to take him out of the public view till it is done or they are rats leaving the ship:rolleyes:
 
Jul 4, 2009
338
0
0
Benotti69 said:
yep, but because he is in the news at the moment or recent moments and all publicity is good publicity (or so we are told) i would have thought they would not be dropping his face from 'Madone' ads or other nikey shíte etc. but maybe they as i said they have decided collectively (LA/Wesiel decision) to take him out of the public view till it is done or they are rats leaving the ship:rolleyes:
Interesting view and it may not be a bad plan on LA's part. While any publicity is good publicity if you are selling a product, it may not be the best if you are trying to do damage control on your image as a caring champion of cancer victims.
 
May 26, 2010
19,530
0
0
L29205 said:
Interesting view and it may not be a bad plan on LA's part. While any publicity is good publicity if you are selling a product, it may not be the best if you are trying to do damage control on your image as a caring champion of cancer victims.
well i would imagine he would be very much interested in selling his caring champion of cancer at every opportunity and it goes hand in hand with his sporting achievements so a difficult ball to juggle as he will need a lot of money to maintain his lifestyle while paying a lot of money to his legal team to defend his 'image'...
 
Aug 3, 2009
3,045
0
0
L29205 said:
Interesting view and it may not be a bad plan on LA's part. While any publicity is good publicity if you are selling a product, it may not be the best if you are trying to do damage control on your image as a caring champion of cancer victims.
But maybe not such a great plan in the eyes of those who paid substantial amounts of money for the right to use LA's image in public.

That would be a nice double whammy for Nike/Trek/Giro: first your spokesman becomes embroiled in a federal investigation involving who-knows-what, then the Golden Boy embarks on a self-imposed marketing embargo?

Gotta be lots of real happy marketing types in Waterloo and Beaverton. No matter what, no publicity is bad....
 
Jul 4, 2009
338
0
0
MacRoadie said:
But maybe not such a great plan in the eyes of those who paid substantial amounts of money for the right to use LA's image in public.

That would be a nice double whammy for Nike/Trek/Giro: first your spokesman becomes embroiled in a federal investigation involving who-knows-what, then the Golden Boy embarks on a self-imposed marketing embargo?

Gotta be lots of real happy marketing types in Waterloo and Beaverton. No matter what, no publicity is bad....
Yes, I agree that no publicity is bad.

I am just wondering why there has been a drop in visible LA adds from Nike and Trek. Trek for one always advertised with LA's image 365 days with an up-tick from 2 weeks before the TDF to 2 weeks after. It is not like we are not seeing Madone SSL adds as we read this so why no poster boy.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS