• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Anyone read this?

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Firstly would like to say i have thoroughly enjoyed my visits to "the Clinic". I am new here but have been lurking and enjoying for a while.

Like many on this particular section (the clinic) i have been involved in cycling for a long time and from a very young age. I am surprised at the level of knowledge on this forum along with the civil and adult like manner most of you compose yourself with. It has been the first cycling forum i have enjoyed visiting it may sound arrogant but i find the blind enthusiasm on many of the forums (including sections of this one) nauseating.

Anyway to the point.

A comment made in an earlier post by Dr Maserati (i love reading his posts) mentioned birth defects in PED users. It is something that has fascinated me for sometime as the selfishness of athletes who would consider any risk to their children is something i cannot fathom.

I read something about the East German sports program and birth defects in children of former East German sport schools athletes, surprisingly high amounts of defects. the news article referred to a book called Fausts Gold (will attach picture next post).

Have any of you read this? I was considering buying it but would have to order it from O/S and would like any comments.
Any mention of cycling (Ulrich)?
Stasi Files specifics?

I personally feel sorry for these athletes as i am led to believe that they were largely unaware of what they were taking. I am also led to believe that Jan Ulrich was part of this program while a young fellow, he may have been too young to have undertaken any PED program. I think when the wall came down he would have been 17-18 y.o. would be surprised if they started any medical progam till post puberty?

Sorry cant seem to find the "manage attachments" option under the message box as described in the FAQ. Just thought i would post the link instead of the picture..

http://www.amazon.com/Fausts-Gold-Inside-German-Machine/dp/product-description/0312269773

I read Faust's Gold about 6-7 years ago, maybe longer now, when it came out. I remember it being fairly dry and matter of fact, and lacking insight or details at times. It was a lot like reading a really long Wikipedia article. As a comparison, Willy Voet's book Breaking the Chain I couldn't put down and can still remember detailed stories he told. I don't remember Jan appearing in Faust's Gold, if he did, it was cursory. I believe there are some comments on the old DDR (GDR) cycling team when Olaf Ludwig was riding for them and won the Peace Race. Werner Franke of course has his name throughout the book, with many quotes. You'll come away impressed by his acumen. But as Susan said, I'd rather read his own books (written with his wife), though I haven't.

I posted last week about the DDR finding youths that have an extra chromosome and trying to cultivate them into athletes. I'm pretty sure it's Faust's Gold where I read about that.

PBS Secrets of the Dead ran a special on the DDR's doping program called Doping for Gold that was more captivating. I also believe Frontline ran a program, mostly on their women's swim team, about 3-4 years ago that was excellent.

51Z9KW334NL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_AA240_.jpg

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I read Faust's Gold about 6-7 years ago, maybe longer now, when it came out. I remember it being fairly dry and matter of fact, and lacking insight or details at times. It was a lot like reading a really long Wikipedia article. As a comparison, Willy Voet's book Breaking the Chain I couldn't put down and can still remember detailed stories he told. I don't remember Jan appearing in Faust's Gold, if he did, it was cursory. I believe there are some comments on the old DDR (GDR) cycling team when Olaf Ludwig was riding for them and won the Peace Race. Werner Franke of course has his name throughout the book, with many quotes. You'll come away impressed by his acumen. But as Susan said, I'd rather read his own books (written with his wife), though I haven't.

I posted last week about the DDR finding youths that have an extra chromosome and trying to cultivate them into athletes. I'm pretty sure it's Faust's Gold where I read about that.

PBS Secrets of the Dead ran a special on the DDR's doping program called Doping for Gold that was more captivating. I also believe Frontline ran a program, mostly on their women's swim team, about 3-4 years ago that was excellent.

51Z9KW334NL._SL500_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-big,TopRight,35,-73_OU01_AA240_.jpg

Breaking the chain was a good read, also a rough ride, enjoyed both of them.

Hate to speak in rumours but i also "heard" that East German female athletes were often found to be in the early stages of pregnancy in order to get better hormone levels etc. Not sure how true it is but the book may have something to say about it.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
titan_90 said:
Damn, the GDR really F@*&ED up that female shot putter:eek:

I guess it may be a bit out of bounds in some respects but does anyone know of cyclists children who are facing medical problems that may be a result of long term use of PED's?

I think cycling and cyclists are quite selfish in general but i wonder if a study indicating higher chances of birth defects to their off spring would help make the sport cleaner?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
LastRide said:
I think cycling and cyclists are quite selfish in general but i wonder if a study indicating higher chances of birth defects to their off spring would help make the sport cleaner?

I think any elite professional needs to be selfish in order to remain focused on the hours of training needed. endurance atheletes even more so as they do a lot of their training alone.