• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

anyone tried the TA Specialites 33-tooth chainring?

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I doubt you'd even be able to tell the difference between a 33t and a 34t. Use a gear chart like this one ....http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.sherman/shift.html It's about 1 gear inch difference, measurable in a lab, but in the real world, no.

Are you using the largest cassette cogset for your drivetrain? The only way to make a real difference in your gears is to go from a 27t cog to a 32t. Then however, you need a new rear derailleur too. Yeah, a few gear inches is going to cost you $$. You may be better off losing a pound of weight, it's free:)

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
+1 on gear inches. One tooth means nothing. Also, the aluminum TA uses is extremely soft, wears out fast. Myself and others I know have tried them once, and never again just for that reason.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Had a set of Horus rings, also 7075 T6, and I can testify without a doubt that I wore out the big ring in half the time it takes to wear out a standard issue Campy ring, and I didn't all of a sudden ride twice as much as usual. Same thing happened to my Shimano equipped friends that tried TA rings. Not an aluminum expert, but I'm guessing the T6 hardening process isn't the same across the board.

TRENDING THREADS