• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ardennes 2016

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Rollthedice said:
This year we have a new short steep cobbled climb 2.5 Ks from Saint Nicolas at 250K called Cote de la Rue Naniot in LBL. Might be fun.
I know this road well. It's a bit like a Flanders berg. Pretty steep and the cobbles are really big, with often quite some space between them. Even with my trekking bike with wide tyres I must be careful where I ride. Could be quite treacherous too in case of rain.

And if I understand correctly the route on ASO's site they turn right back at the top to the main road via a nice and fast descent. Not technical but I guess someone with a small gap at the top of Naniot could keep it to the bottom.

Anyway, let's hope this new climb doesn't delay the action even further...

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The course doesn't need changing. AGR was fine, even with finish on the Cauberg, when it had more riders with balls. Nowadays leaders are just boring as **** and always energy saving in the ardennes peloton.

There used to be Boogerd or Bettini breaking things up at 35km to go. On Eyserbosweg in AGR or on La Redoute in LBL. Now they are gone, Rebellin is old, and there's no other rider willing to do ****. Valverde, Gilbert, Rodriguez, all wait..
Well if I remember correctly Kreuziger tried to break the race last yea, but nobody really wanted to cooperate. Year before he tried to break too and there were other strong breaks too. Problem is not enough balls, problem is too strong domestiques/course not tough enough.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Ardennes are simple really. 6 riders team. And they instantly become best racing in calendar ( as would many races but Ardennes suit 6 man team a lot )

But that won't happen, organizers don't want exciting races, priority is big names winning.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Gloin22 said:
Ardennes are simple really. 6 riders team. And they instantly become best racing in calendar ( as would many races but Ardennes suit 6 man team a lot )

But that won't happen, organizers don't want exciting races, priority is big names winning.
Or some obstacles where some would fall and got distanced, or break something and DNF, like cobbled races. Thats why P-R was fun (for some).

Re: Re:

RedheadDane said:
classicomano said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
The course doesn't need changing. AGR was fine, even with finish on the Cauberg, when it had more riders with balls. Nowadays leaders are just boring as **** and always energy saving in the ardennes peloton.

There used to be Boogerd or Bettini breaking things up at 35km to go. On Eyserbosweg in AGR or on La Redoute in LBL. Now they are gone, Rebellin is old, and there's no other rider willing to do ****. Valverde, Gilbert, Rodriguez, all wait..
Its all Gerrans' fault really. Every other favorite knows that as soon as they attack early they will have Leipheimer 2.0 glued to their wheel only to pass them in the last 50 meters.

It was hardly Gerran's fault if the Ardennes were a bit dull last year. He was out with a broken bone. Or maybe he crashed during the Ardennes and broke a bone... I don't remember. But there was something with Gerran's and a broken bone during the Ardennes last year.

Yes, Gerrans abandoned Liège after his third crash of the season. He then went on to crash at least three more times. By October he had broken 6 different bones. Felt sorry for him.

Re:

hrotha said:
The 2014 Liège borefest wasn't Gerrans's fault either, he just benefited from it. It was up to the legitimate contenders to do something to get rid of people like him.
Exactly. I think Valverde is the one to blame the most, though there of course are several others to share it with.

I must say that given how the race unfolded, I was very happy that Gerrans won. It would be devastating if such a boring race awarded the riders who had the ability (but lacked the will) to make it more exciting/selective.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

Netserk said:
hrotha said:
The 2014 Liège borefest wasn't Gerrans's fault either, he just benefited from it. It was up to the legitimate contenders to do something to get rid of people like him.
Exactly. I think Valverde is the one to blame the most, though there of course are several others to share it with.

I must say that given how the race unfolded, I was very happy that Gerrans won. It would be devastating if such a boring race awarded the riders who had the ability (but lacked the will) to make it more exciting/selective.
Yeah, only Pozzovivo and Arredondo really tried something. I mostly remember the race for the long Matteo Bono breakaway, between Milano-Sanremo and LBL he spent about 450km in the breakaway

Re:

rehy90 said:
I hope to see Kreuziger in good form, last year he was definitely one of the strongest riders in Liege, but his break was reeled in. Podium in Liege would be nice for him.
He was looking good in Pais Vasco. Last year he and Fuglsang were unlucky to have Caruso with them, also combined with Stybar pulling hard in the chase group for Alaphilippe. I hope a similar semi-long range attack can succeed this year, even if it's unlikely

ILovecycling said:
Flamin said:
classicomano said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Its all Gerrans' fault really. Every other favorite knows that as soon as they attack early they will have Leipheimer 2.0 glued to their wheel only to pass them in the last 50 meters.

And Valverde. Those 2 combined are evil.
Yes.
They are something like White walkers of cycling.You always think they are nowhere near but then they rise and kill the whole race :eek:
Did you even watch last year's races? Valverde took both FW and LBL by the balls.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

jaylew said:
ILovecycling said:
Flamin said:
classicomano said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

And Valverde. Those 2 combined are evil.
Yes.
They are something like White walkers of cycling.You always think they are nowhere near but then they rise and kill the whole race :eek:
Did you even watch last year's races? Valverde took both FW and LBL by the balls.

He means attacking from far. Bala didn't do that, right?

And why should he? He did everything right. But still, FW and LBL were boring last year. And Bala was just as boring as all those other riders. With the difference he played it perfectly and won it ;)

Dekker_Tifosi said:
The questions:
Will we get an exciting Amstel Gold / Fleche Wallone for once? Or is it waiting for Cauberg + Mur de Huy again..

Which are the main riders to look out for?

No way! There is perhaps 5 % chance that we'll see an exciting AGR or FW. The latter has really never been exciting as everyone waits for the Mur de Huy. Amstel's route change was a terrible idea, and now everyone sits and waits for the last climb of Cauberg instead of attacking on Eyserbosweg or Keutenberg.

The usual suspects; Valverde, Purito, Martin, Kwia, Gilbert. I'm hoping for a Gilbert in peak form and that he at least claims his second victory in LBL.

Ruudz0r said:
kjetilraknerud said:
EBH is doing Amstel, not sure what he can do - but he is clearly in good shape, and has done well on Cauberg before (WC). An outsider.

That is good news, he should be able to do well!

Not sure about that, and I'm Norwegian, so I should actually be positive on his behalf.

He is severeal kgs heavier now than 2-3 years ago, mainly due to going all in for Paris-Roubaix. Extra weight is, on the other hand, not so ideal for the Ardennes Classics.

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site

OlavEH said:
Ruudz0r said:
kjetilraknerud said:
EBH is doing Amstel, not sure what he can do - but he is clearly in good shape, and has done well on Cauberg before (WC). An outsider.

Not sure about that, and I'm Norwegian, so I should actually be positive on his behalf.

He is severeal kgs heavier now than 2-3 years ago, mainly due to going all in for Paris-Roubaix. Extra weight is, on the other hand, not so ideal for the Ardennes Classics.

I haven't seen them on a scale, but I'd say he is around the same weight as Matthews, maybe 1-2 kgs heavier. Wikipedia seems to agree.

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
I hope Valgren will be allowed some freedom. Surely the team will have to give him more opportunities than just the Tour of Denmark??

He was co-captain last year, but failed for some reason. I can't remember if it was due to a crash or he didnt have the legs.. but yes, he should be their best bet for AGR with Kreuz.

OlavEH said:
Ruudz0r said:
kjetilraknerud said:

He was going exceptionally well in the hills (and even mountains) of Oman and Tirreno, so I don't think he's too heavy. But recovering from PR might be a bigger problem, many riders are unable to train well for several days following that brutal classic (due to e.g. saddle sores), so he might not be as well prepared as those who rode Pais Vasco.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

maltiv said:
OlavEH said:
Ruudz0r said:
kjetilraknerud said:

He was going exceptionally well in the hills (and even mountains) of Oman and Tirreno, so I don't think he's too heavy. But recovering from PR might be a bigger problem, many riders are unable to train well for several days following that brutal classic (due to e.g. saddle sores), so he might not be as well prepared as those who rode Pais Vasco.

I just really like boasson hagen, don't know what they did on sky to him but they definetly took something away from him

I see that Michael Woods is not on provisional startlist for both Amstel and Fleche. It would be kinda disappointing not being able to see how he fares in this type of races. But I guess his form is not there if he is being omitted in Cannondale's roster.

TRENDING THREADS