• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ardennes 2016

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Anderis said:
I see that Michael Woods is not on provisional startlist for both Amstel and Fleche. It would be kinda disappointing not being able to see how he fares in this type of races. But I guess his form is not there if he is being omitted in Cannondale's roster.
He was good in TDU, decent in Catalunya and bad in Pais Vasco. Seems like his form is getting worse and worse.

Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
Anderis said:
I see that Michael Woods is not on provisional startlist for both Amstel and Fleche. It would be kinda disappointing not being able to see how he fares in this type of races. But I guess his form is not there if he is being omitted in Cannondale's roster.
He was good in TDU, decent in Catalunya and bad in Pais Vasco. Seems like his form is getting worse and worse.

Riding WT in Europe is completely different then riding WT in Australia. Especially the positioning is very different it is also 1 reason why a lot of the promising american riders have trouble making the transition to Europe. But Woods peaked for TDU anyway while most riders in TDU did not peak obviously so the level in general is much higher in Catalunya/Pais Vasco then in TDU. Still he did disappoint me in Pais Vasco as the route should suit him there, I really hope he will be added to the Fleche roster he needs some experience in these races/roads and Fleche is a race that is really good for his abilities.

Hugo Koblet said:
He finished inside top50 in all but 2 stages in Pais Vasco (including 2 of the most selective), so I wouldn't call it "bad" for his 3rd ever WT race. That's a level that would make you an useful domestique at pretty much every team.

I feel that Cannondale's roster for Amstel is a bit meh. They used to have more options for these kind of races in the past. If Brabantse Pijl is anything to go by, Clarke and Slagter may have nobody with them heading into the last Cauberg. Fleche looks a bit better with the addition of Uran and with Craddock who is being in the form of his life recently.

Sciatic said:
jflemaire said:
swissfr said:
Amstel Gold Race is not in Ardennes...
Neither is Flèche Wallonne. Only LBL is actually ridden in the Ardennes.

Hmmn, geographically speaking the southernmost part of the course for Flèche Wallonne dips into the Ardennes region.
Yep, you're right. I hadn't noticed the race no longer starts from Charleroi. It definitely starts in the Ardennes this year.

The hilly classics needs a couple of riders like Bettini (or Gilbert in his peak form a few years ago). Or a new Vino. Riders who actually tries something before there is 2 km left of the race. When was the last time we saw a really interesting Ardennes Classic?

Well even Gilbert is a boring rider compared to Bettini, Boogerd, Vino etc, because he starts his attack on the final Cauberg most of the time (2km out).

Those other guys started from 20/30km out, although, in hindsight, that might just have been because of the special sauce

SafeBet said:
Anderis said:
I just realised Moreno Moser isn't riding any of the three races. Strange including the fact he finished 3rd in recent GP Miguel Indurain. :confused:
I'm biased but his exclusion really doesn't make any sense unless he's sick. Cannondale was a mess yesterday.

Losing Dan Martin would be a big problem for any hilly classics team, but Martin never rode AGR seriously anyway so their poor showing isn't about missing him. It will be interesting to see if they can step up at FW and LBL, which I think suit Slagter more than AGR. They should on paper have quite a strong Ardennes team, but there was no evidence of that in AGR and leaving out Moser does seem strange.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well even Gilbert is a boring rider compared to Bettini, Boogerd, Vino etc, because he starts his attack on the final Cauberg most of the time (2km out).

Those other guys started from 20/30km out, although, in hindsight, that might just have been because of the special sauce
Shhhhh. You cannot say that here. People still want to believe is tactics.

TRENDING THREADS