• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Ardennes 2016

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well even Gilbert is a boring rider compared to Bettini, Boogerd, Vino etc, because he starts his attack on the final Cauberg most of the time (2km out).

Those other guys started from 20/30km out, although, in hindsight, that might just have been because of the special sauce
Hogwash. People were way more attacking before EPO than in the 90s.

Re: Re:

hrotha said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Well even Gilbert is a boring rider compared to Bettini, Boogerd, Vino etc, because he starts his attack on the final Cauberg most of the time (2km out).

Those other guys started from 20/30km out, although, in hindsight, that might just have been because of the special sauce
Hogwash. People were way more attacking before EPO than in the 90s.
You are recycling the same information over and over. The 80's are different from the 90's and from the 2000's. I can see how the 80's provided for bigger splits.

I can only remember the memories from soccer from the 70's and 80's as well. Things have changed in many aspects. I think we have to deal with it or start changing the rules like American Football. Even Soccer changed the rules when the games were turning into complete boredoms.

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Mollema decided not to ride FW and focus on LBL and romandie. Weird, because he was 4th here two years ago. I really don't understand him. It's not he has a bigger chance in LBL.

Somebody needs to sit the dude down and have a long talk with him about priorities. They can start by explaining to him that a win at Fleche is worth more than the rest of his career palmares to date. How is skipping one of the few major one day races where he has a legitimate chance of winning going to help him get his coveted sixth place at Romandie?

He is so frustrating to like.

Zinoviev Letter said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Mollema decided not to ride FW and focus on LBL and romandie. Weird, because he was 4th here two years ago. I really don't understand him. It's not he has a bigger chance in LBL.

Somebody needs to sit the dude down and have a long talk with him about priorities. They can start by explaining to him that a win at Fleche is worth more than the rest of his career palmares to date. How is skipping one of the few major one day races where he has a legitimate chance of winning going to help him get his coveted sixth place at Romandie?

Well, not that I disagree with your post but there is no way in hell Mollema wins on Huy

Escarabajo said:
You are recycling the same information over and over. The 80's are different from the 90's and from the 2000's. I can see how the 80's provided for bigger splits.
And DT isn't? Because I was replying to him, in case you didn't notice.

Point is, the sauce didn't start the trend. The sauce is irrelevant.

Bushman said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:

Well, not that I disagree with your post but there is no way in hell Mollema wins on Huy

He's been fourth and ninth in recent years. Plus two of the five or six top favourites have shown no form this year. I don't rate Mollema as a top favourite, obviously, but think Fleche is still the major race he's best equipped to win.

For any punchy climber, FW - LBL should be one of the main season goals. Missing one of them to increase his chances of scraping fifth place at Switzerland's second most important one week stage race is just madness.

Anderis said:
Hugo Koblet said:
He was good in TDU, decent in Catalunya and bad in Pais Vasco. Seems like his form is getting worse and worse.
He finished inside top50 in all but 2 stages in Pais Vasco (including 2 of the most selective), so I wouldn't call it "bad" for his 3rd ever WT race. That's a level that would make you an useful domestique at pretty much every team.

I feel that Cannondale's roster for Amstel is a bit meh. They used to have more options for these kind of races in the past. If Brabantse Pijl is anything to go by, Clarke and Slagter may have nobody with them heading into the last Cauberg. Fleche looks a bit better with the addition of Uran and with Craddock who is being in the form of his life recently.
I see Woods on the startlist for FW but not Uran.

Re:

Zinoviev Letter said:
He is 7kg to 15kg heavier than the usual contenders. The only recent winner who was even within 3-4kg of him was Gilbert in 2011. If he can pull that off, there has either been a freak soft-pedalling of the Mur, or he is a much bigger talent than anyone has ever realised.

Matthews is a helper for Albasini and A.Yates. And it appears that Matthews will also be a helper in LBL. Then he can go on holiday.

TRENDING THREADS