• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Are any hydration packs breathable???

KaydenSawyer

BANNED
Dec 24, 2019
Visit site
I've got a basic one that has what looks like a mesh back, but really doesn't breathe at all. I'm planning on upgrading to something bigger anyway (this one is 2L of water with barely enough space for a single bar) but it'll have to be to something that breathes a bit better.
Unfortunately, none of the shops near me stock these to try out. Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Some packs do a better job than others, but there is no way to hang something on your back and not be hotter. Do you do rides that require more than 40-50 oz of water? If not, use bottles. If your bike only holds one bottle, use a collapsible bottle in a jersey pocket for the other. I see a lot more people riding with hydration fanny packs now so maybe that will work for you?

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I got an old Osprey pack that has an internal from to hold it off of your back. Looking at their site it appears the only thing like that they still make are huge almost backpacks.